Chelsea (0) v Aston Villa (3) pre match thread

One For The Road

9 hours ago, robby b said:

Unfortunately Frank's now angry because of Chelsea's poor performance at Arsenal and the Chelsea players are probably angry with themselves. Drat. There's bound to be a reaction from them tomorrow, probably. I have a feeling it will now be more difficult for us to win than if they'd beaten Arsenal or drawn. We might even need to play well to avoid ending up with a heavy defeat.

Palace were angry im sure after getting thumped by Liverpool. Didn't influence what we did. Why should Chelsea feeling rilled up and angry after losing rattle us. I mean, they should feel that way after losing 3 nil but i don't care how they feel. We need to concentrate on us. Get what we've got right on most occasions this season - we'll give them a game.

• Like 1

I just got to watch one of the best Villa performances I have seen in a decade.....

... and now I get to watch another game 2 days later? What a Christmas gift!

This game will be a lot tougher, but I wouldn't bet against us: Watkins to break his drought, Werner to continue his in a comfortable Villa win.

11 hours ago, robby b said:

Unfortunately Frank's now angry because of Chelsea's poor performance at Arsenal and the Chelsea players are probably angry with themselves. Drat. There's bound to be a reaction from them tomorrow, probably. I have a feeling it will now be more difficult for us to win than if they'd beaten Arsenal or drawn. We might even need to play well to avoid ending up with a heavy defeat.

That's one of those oft mentioned sports canards that often doesn't play out in real life. They've lost 3 of last 4. After Palace performance I'd back us against any team in the league

They have an elite squad of players and have the luxury of rotating, we’re missing a big leader and organiser in our side yet im not too fearful of anyone at the moment. This side have proved how good they are all season and will be full of confidence.

We’ve won 3 of the last 4; They’ve lost 3 of the last 4. We’ve won 5 out of 6 on the road with 5 clean sheets. Id probably take a draw but I also know we can go there and win. Just too many players bang in form in our side atm.

Konsa needs to take over as the leader in that back 4. Chance for him to show he can be the alpha. Tricky wide players will test the two Matts, but they both stand up admirably to every challenge infront of them this season. Im expecting Giroud and CHO to start. Werner probably relegated to the bench. No Reece James or Ziyech for them.

2-1 Villa (Watkins, Grealish)

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I wonder if JT will celebrate if we score. 

I remember he didn't last time out against Chelsea 

Are you already looking for negatives?

He is Chelsea through and through so what? The only affiliation he has to AVFC is ££!

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Are you already looking for negatives?

He is Chelsea through and through so what? The only affiliation he has to AVFC is ££!

I didn't see the post as negative. JT is always going to be Chelsea but he is a Villa man. I dont expect Tammy will celebrate over the top if he scores. Its not a negative its respect for old employers 

Can’t help but feel a little confident for this one.  We may have to soak up some pressure but on the break we’re so dangerous.  I’m going to say 2-1 or 3-1 to us.

Martinez

Cash   Konsa   Hause  Targett

Luiz        McGinn

Grealish

Traore      Watkins     El Ghazi

Subs:  Heaton, Elmo, Engels, Taylor, Nakamba, Hourihane, Ramsey, Trez, Davis

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

AEG, Traore, Grealish

Watkins

for me

The 3 behind Watkins seem to be swapping all game anyway so it doesn't really matter where you put them, just as long as it's those 3.

20 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The 3 behind Watkins seem to be swapping all game anyway so it doesn't really matter where you put them, just as long as it's those 3.

Yeah that's a fair point, but they don't interchange that much the main formation doesn't have importance. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Chelsea will be a big test for our defence - if you look at some of the teams we've defended really well against lately, they're about individuals; the size of Burnley's front line, the trickery and pace of Zaha, individual battles. I think Mings and Hause in particular, and our other defenders to a lesser extent, relish those battles, the challenge of an individual and showing you can be better than them. Chelsea don't play that way, Chelsea move the ball around - the challenges with Chelsea are about positioning, awareness and concentration - I think that suits us less and I can't see a clean sheet today.

That said, we can get at anyone and Watkins is due a bit of luck.

I'm going for an entertaining 2-2.

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Deano has outwitted Lamps once before at Wembley, why not again. 

Didn’t we beat them 3-0 & 4-0 in the same season as well prior to beating them 2-1 at Wembley? 

This is one of our toughest fixtures of the season, for me. It is nice to be playing them with us being the higher placed of the two teams, for a change. Frank will be looking for a reaction after their defeat at Arsenal from his players, but Woy was looking for one from his, after their home humiliation against Liverpool, he did not get one and hopefully Frank won't either. A win could take us as high as third tonight and would leave us 4 points behind the leaders with a game in hand. A point would keep us above our hosts tonight and take us above Spurs again. 

We last won at Stamford Bridge in 2011 and have lost on each of our subsequent five visits since then. We have in fact, lost the last six games we have played against them, so it is time that changed. Overall, we have won 51 and have drawn 32, of the 140 league games that there have been between the two clubs. 

Frank has said that he "will make six or seven changes" from the team that he put out 2 days ago. Good, but I doubt that we will. Chelsea are unbeaten at home this season and we have lost just once away. I would be happy with a point and another clean sheet, but a win would really make everyone sit up and take notice. Just avoid defeat Villa, a win would be nice though! :flag:

• Like 4