Chelsea (0) v Aston Villa (3) pre match thread

One For The Road

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

For just us or Chelsea too? I really fancy us for the win here

Chelsea can play a whole different side and still be competitive eg Giroud didn’t feature yesterday and is one of their joint top scorers. 

Not saying we won’t win but I’m just starting to think that the optimism levels might be going a little OTT.

We need to still back these boys even if the next 2-3 results go against us. 

Anyone that wouldn't take a point right now would be crazy IMO. A draw would be a terrific result.  They have class players all over the park regardless of who makes the starting eleven. 

I would feel more confident if Mings was starting - purely down to the presence he has - (which may sound rather odd given yesterday's poor showing) - but it's a real huge test tomorrow for our central defensive pair and our team as a whole really.

Love the positivity in the thread so far though, and again, just emphasises how far we have come as a team that we feel we can win at Chelsea.

Same side as boxing day with Konsa for Tyrone. 

I think this will probably end up 3-1 but if we were to get a point I'd be over the 🌙  A win... and I'll start looking in the title thread 👀

• Like 2

Itll be nice to have a team set up to stop us playing as much as focusing on how they play. 

We'll play a high line - hold on watkins will run in behind.

We'll push the full backs up , Traore and El Ghazi are bang in form.

We'll go down the wings, what vs Cash and Targett?

Shall we pass it through the middle? Damn they've that Brizillian and the man with the arse. 

We'll play Giroud for his height - Hause has just kept 3 clean sheets and wins everthing in the air.

Shoot from distance - hasn't their keeper got the most clean sheets in the league? 

And then there's Jack.!!!!!!

not saying we will win, but it's nice to know the opposition will have to work for it. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Chelsea can play a whole different side and still be competitive eg Giroud didn’t feature yesterday and is one of their joint top scorers. 

Not saying we won’t win but I’m just starting to think that the optimism levels might be going a little OTT.

We need to still back these boys even if the next 2-3 results go against us. 

We’ve won once at Stamford bridge in 18 years, and yes records are meant to be broken but don’t see that tomorrow.

the commentary said we’ve never lost a game this season when going 1-0 up and likewise not won a game going 1-0 down, so for us the first goal is likely to set out the result tomorrow. 

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Are we playing them at a good time or bad time? I’m just not sure.

Would be happy with a point but just imagine if we go and win it....

Good point.  There was a train of thought that we could be playing Palace at the wrong time after their 7-0 drubbing. Yet we were just simply better then them. 

Maybe we’re still shackled by the inevitable doubt the last few years has bought upon us, when we should go in confident we can get something, regardless of the opposition. UTV

31 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Are we playing them at a good time or bad time? I’m just not sure.

Would be happy with a point but just imagine if we go and win it....

Chelsea have lost 3 of last 4. They're not all that. I'm quietly confident

We seem much fitter at the moment so I'm hoping we can at least match them for a hard earned point. My worry is the first 15 mins as we seem vulnerable at the start of games. We can't concede early. We should be cautious and try and hit them hard on the break. 

Edited by birdman

Their squad depth is what worries me. They can make changes and still have quality. But hey it's not all rosy there at the minute. Lampard throwing Werner under the bus after Arsenal game just because he hasn't a clue how to get a tune out of a prolific goalscorer. We'll be under the cosh for periods. They have quality from midfield on but i think their defence is soft and rubbish. Worst Chelsea defence ive seen in years.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I have a real fear of fatigue, tomorrow.

Me too. And United on Friday then. It's McGinn i worry about with 48 hours between the palace match and this. He has a such high octane, in your face game when he's on it. But when he's tired, he stands out as being so more than any other player. On one hand id say you can't throw Ramsey in but Lampard has given Gilmour game time before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

On paper they are frightening with the potential to give any team a real beating 

Chelsea ? Yes. But their manager is out of his depth so we should try go for the throat tomorrow while they are still vulnerable and he's still in a job.