Chelsea (0) v Aston Villa (3) pre match thread

One For The Road

I’m loving the fact we’re playing again so soon after Boxing Day. Of course it helps that we’re in good form. I’ve accepted that it’s likely we won’t win this one, but I’m still kind of hopeful that we will. Chelsea won’t have the easy ride they enjoyed at Villa Park last season, where they passed us off the park with ease. We should give them much more of a game today. We’re a very dangerous side in attack and we’re tougher to break down. Hopefully Konsa and Hause can handle whatever Chelsea come up with. 

My prediction, 3-1 or 1-3. Hope Watkins gets his goal today. 

59 minutes ago, deeps said:

One of them games I’m expecting nothing. Hoping we don’t get silly bookings for the 3 lads on the 4 yellows! Our discipline hasn’t be great this season (which can have positives, mind). 

Would love a point, be ecstatic with a win. But see the Chels bouncing back with a bang. 

3-0

To Villa?

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Chelsea will be a big test for our defence - if you look at some of the teams we've defended really well against lately, they're about individuals; the size of Burnley's front line, the trickery and pace of Zaha, individual battles. I think Mings and Hause in particular, and our other defenders to a lesser extent, relish those battles, the challenge of an individual and showing you can be better than them. Chelsea don't play that way, Chelsea move the ball around - the challenges with Chelsea are about positioning, awareness and concentration - I think that suits us less and I can't see a clean sheet today.

That said, we can get at anyone and Watkins is due a bit of luck.

I'm going for an entertaining 2-2.

Good summary and I’d be happy with a point. That said, somehow we’re gonna win this.

My only worry is bookings and suspensions for Friday. I’d rather beat Utd at their place than Chelsea away - although winning both is fine. 

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm weirdly confident despite fully expecting a Chelsea backlash from their arse pounding. And that worries me.

We could have had a backlash from Palace though after their pounding by Liverpool, but it didn't materialise. We have stability in the team whereas Chelsea don't if Lampard makes 7 changes as its reported he's going to. I'm going for a 3-1 Villa win.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Quofan said:

We could have had a backlash from Palace though after their pounding by Liverpool, but it didn't materialise. We have stability in the team whereas Chelsea don't if Lampard makes 7 changes as its reported he's going to. I'm going for a 3-1 Villa win.

Good point. A lot of changes can backfire. We’ve seen it many times in cup competitions. Especially when the team doesn’t really have a certain style of play either for players to slot in to.

We can win this.

• Like 1

Tammy played well against us last season so I expect he will start, strangely (and I hope I'm not Jinxing it) I'd be more worried about Giroud. 

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

He looks a talent, but this is too big a game to be throwing him into. Maybe an appearance off the bench?

yeah thats what I mean, not necessarily a starter.

I don't think the arsenal game for them and the Palace game for us, will count for anything....the bollockings are probably still ringing in their ears.....Abramovich has probably threatened Siberia.

We have to be on it, to get anything at the bridge.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah thats what I mean, not necessarily a starter.

I think he deserves to be given his chance every now and then this season. Some good things being said about him. 2021 could be a big year for him.