Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

Ryan.

12 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Not on topic but why is Crystal Palace and Brighton classed as a derby? 

Remember seeing something on Football Focus when they were doing a bit on Brighton when they first came up. Apparently they had some clashes years ago where they were competing for lower league titles/promotions so it made them rivals. So its more a rivalry than a Derby like the other more traditional ones. 

Personally I'd see something like the 2 Bristols or MK Dons & AFC Wimbledon being more appropriate for the graphic

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Not on topic but why is Crystal Palace and Brighton classed as a derby? 

“rivalry” is how I would describe it. In the 70’s they were both vying for the same promotion spots, Alan Mullery and Terry Venables were managers of Brighton & Palace respectively, it sounds like they didn’t get on with each other (former team mates), a feisty game or two that carried on over…a few factors seemingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

As good a place as any for this. UK derbies, ranked by hostility:  

FB_IMG_1715861954067.jpg

The Black Country was delayed this season when it descended into crowd trouble, no? By contrast the scouse derby always seems pretty reasonably-natured, I can't recall hearing about crowd trouble though I'm sure it's happened at some point. 

I think the regularity of the fixtures or shared respect for tragedies (Hillsborough, the young lad who was sh0t etc.) make the merseyside rivalry fairly friendly now. Some of our other midlands ones (us vs Baggies) have more animosity than Liverpool/Everton these days

• Like 2

When both clubs actually reside within the same City, it will inevitably cause that rivalry to be more intense. That proximity to each other can engender a febrile intensity. No way do those rivalries between Newcastle and Sunderland, or Nottingham and Derby even come close to us and the noses. I think only Celtic and Rangers top us for hostility. But there are other non football factors at play there.

That graphic has made me realise I hadn’t registered what Bristol Rovers club badge looks like. I have no idea what I thought it looked like, but not that anyway.

It left me wondering when they changed it to a pirate. Turns out it was around 1997.

4 hours ago, Annoyman said:

No derby that's allowed to kick off at a normal time by the police should be top half imo

Spurs and Arsenal is mostly just people mithering on twitter isn't it?

mithering

Love it, haven't heard that word used in a long time!

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

When both clubs actually reside within the same City, it will inevitably cause that rivalry to be more intense. That proximity to each other can engender a febrile intensity. No way do those rivalries between Newcastle and Sunderland, or Nottingham and Derby even come close to us and the noses. I think only Celtic and Rangers top us for hostility. But there are other non football factors at play there.

Not sure I agree on Newcastle v Sunderland. My wife’s from the north east and we spend a fair bit of time up there. They absolutely hate one another and derby days are a complete war zone - not that dissimilar to Villa - SHA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Black Country was delayed this season when it descended into crowd trouble, no? By contrast the scouse derby always seems pretty reasonably-natured, I can't recall hearing about crowd trouble though I'm sure it's happened at some point. 

I was going to say I don't agree with that derby there. They don't like each other much. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've always thought Wolves Baggies was one of the most intense derbies. Some real shit has gone down over the years, certainly compared to some of the others on that list. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So Tom Brady invested a total of 3.3p into the club?

But they are proppa shares mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So Tom Brady invested a total of 3.3p into the club?

He's just a figurehead though right? They basically gave him some free shares as a gift to be "the  face" of the club surely?  This doesn't on the face of it seem especially unusual to me, albeit I don't really know much about the whole situation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

But they are proppa shares mate.

Well, now you mention it, they're not, they're a different category to the proper shares and they don't have any voting rights.

It looks like they just gave him 3.5% of the club as payment for putting his face out front.

From his perspective it isn't a bad deal; you get given a tiny chunk of a company that's not worth much, you increase its value by having your famous name and face associated with it and then when you sell up your 3% generates you a nice profit.

It does make me wonder though, how long are they looking to be involved? Tom won't have taken that deal on the promise of money in ten or fifteen years time you'd have thought.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, now you mention it, they're not, they're a different category to the proper shares and they don't have any voting rights.

It looks like they just gave him 3% of the club as payment for putting his face out front.

From his perspective it isn't a bad deal; you get given a tiny chunk of a company that's not worth much, you increase its value by having your famous name and face associated with it and then when you sell up your 3% generates you a nice profit.

It does make me wonder though, how long are they looking to be involved? Tom won't have taken that deal on the promise of money in ten or fifteen years time you'd have thought.

The only time Brady has been associated with failure.

spacer.png

Â