Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

rjw63

3 hours ago, blandy said:

You're right they need to jump in and ask what the eff is going on, but realistically what can they do about it? Very little., I think.

They can "punish" the Club for the actions of the ownership, which has precisely no upsides for the actual victims of the ways it's run. A foreign based owner sells a piece of property they own to another foreign based entity  - they can't stop that, they're football administrators and have no legal powers in that regard. Nothing (as far as we know) illegal has been done. The power and ability of the EFL johnnies to control/prevent/limit the actions of (particularly) foreign owners is extremely limited, more so once they've got hold of a club. I mean the biggest penalty they can do is to remove their permission to play in the league(s) - or deduct points  - which will only imperil the club further. Fines - they're skint, so ditto. Anything else is utterly ineffective "please don't sell the sty to a property developer who will turn it into a supermarket or whatever, because we'll be all cross, like".

Small Heath looks like going the same way Wolves did in the 80s - plummeting down with a dilapidated ground and dwindling gates. It's one thing to laugh at the hapless heathens bumbling about aimlessly in (real division 2 or 3 in old money), but if that happened and they lost their ground and ended up in the bottom tier, I worry I'd feel pity for them, which has only happened once before in my lifetime and passed quickly. I don't think I could cope.

I think the issue stems on them selling it for x amount of money (i mean the stadium is falling part yet them think its worth around 15m?) That's over inflating the price to keep them with efl rules.

They punished sheff wed for this so the same punishment should haplen to blose. 

Somehow the corrupt efl gave them a -9 mid season but felt to give wed theirs at start of this year (same with wigan)

If blose started on -9 they would definitely be down. It stinks

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If blose started on -9 they would definitely be down. It stinks

On the other hand they are fighting above their weight almost every game and lose which isn't a bad thing week in week out.

If this continues and then ends up with relegation, points deducted or not it is where they belong but they win a few in that league so it's a difficult balance.

Out of business in the end is what everyone should hope for.

If they change the name and start from zero then that's different,  that's a different conversation.  A Non B postcode for their ground and small heath as the name then fine,  go ahead and good luck.

13 hours ago, leighavfc said:

It is interesting to see what will happen with the Alexander stadium after the commonwealth. At this stage i think it will go back to the 18000 capacity and carry on as it always has done and as planned.... saying that, the way things seem to be lining up over there you could see this happening. 

I wouldn't be that bothered in all honesty if they did, they are pratically on our doorstep currently anyway. North Birmingham has been and always will be Villa... when you come down the hill on Walsall road past the old clifton bingo you dont see Alexander stadium...... You see Villa park front and Center..... they would absolutely be right underneath our shadow if they moved there!

If the Alexander Stadium were to become a football stadium, what would happen to the athletics? The national competitions, the Diamond League meetings, Birchfield Harriers. It's the home of UK Athletics, would they move too?

I can't see how one of the premier athletics sites in the country could suddenly be converted to something else. It isn't like the Olympic stadium which wasn't there before and had no obvious use case afterwards. This is a totally different scenario, so I'd be astonished if anything other than "carry on as before but with a slightly nicer stadium" was the end result here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

If the Alexander Stadium were to become a football stadium, what would happen to the athletics? The national competitions, the Diamond League meetings, Birchfield Harriers. It's the home of UK Athletics, would they move too?

I can't see how one of the premier athletics sites in the country could suddenly be converted to something else. It isn't like the Olympic stadium which wasn't there before and had no obvious use case afterwards. This is a totally different scenario, so I'd be astonished if anything other than "carry on as before but with a slightly nicer stadium" was the end result here.

As a resident of North Birmingham I'd hate the blosers being anywhere near Perry Barr. Small Heath is too close for comfort TBH. I'm sure there's a pitch in the Outer Hebrides they could use.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Word is some higher ups in the EFL are Small Heath fans. Makes perfect sense. 

small heath fans in higher management. Don't believe it mate ;)

Bit like their fans who accuse of Villa having someone on the inside in the Premier League. 

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are they merely renting their stadium back? Or is it a sale and purchase back?

Renting it I think. They’ve been doing it for a couple of seasons anyway, but now it’s been sold from one company to another. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Renting it I think. They’ve been doing it for a couple of seasons anyway, but now it’s been sold from one company to another. 

Means the stadium isn't owned by them or their owners and its only a 12 year agreement 

You'd like to think they'd be smart enough to put some sort of agreement in their that protects themselves "the land can only ever be used for a stadium" type clause but who knows 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

"the land can only ever be used for a stadium" type clause but who knows 

I assume it's the council that decide what the land can be used for. They would have to apply to change it from recreational to residential 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I assume it's the council that decide what the land can be used for. They would have to apply to change it from recreational to residential 

Not necessarily 

You can put it in the terms of sale, they'd be in breach of contract if they tried to build a supermarket on it

Plot of land in kiddy is the same, the family that owned it yonks ago sold it for educational purposes, no one can build anything other than a school on it and the area doesn't need a new school, knocked the old one down about 10 years ago (sladen) 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Are they merely renting their stadium back? Or is it a sale and purchase back?

Deckchairs, arranging of said Deckchairs and the Ship the Titanic spring to mind.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, blandy said:

You're right they need to jump in and ask what the eff is going on, but realistically what can they do about it? Very little., I think.

They can "punish" the Club for the actions of the ownership, which has precisely no upsides for the actual victims of the ways it's run. A foreign based owner sells a piece of property they own to another foreign based entity  - they can't stop that, they're football administrators and have no legal powers in that regard. Nothing (as far as we know) illegal has been done. The power and ability of the EFL johnnies to control/prevent/limit the actions of (particularly) foreign owners is extremely limited, more so once they've got hold of a club. I mean the biggest penalty they can do is to remove their permission to play in the league(s) - or deduct points  - which will only imperil the club further. Fines - they're skint, so ditto. Anything else is utterly ineffective "please don't sell the sty to a property developer who will turn it into a supermarket or whatever, because we'll be all cross, like".

Small Heath looks like going the same way Wolves did in the 80s - plummeting down with a dilapidated ground and dwindling gates. It's one thing to laugh at the hapless heathens bumbling about aimlessly in (real division 2 or 3 in old money), but if that happened and they lost their ground and ended up in the bottom tier, I worry I'd feel pity for them, which has only happened once before in my lifetime and passed quickly. I don't think I could cope.

You're right of course, in footballing terms there's very little they can do, because football isn't the underlying issue.

I guess what I'd like to see from the EFL is something that might get noticed by the HKSE. It's absolutely clear that share trading in the club and its operating company is bearing no relation to its performance as either a business or a sporting entity. It'd be nice to see the EFL taking some sort of action that exposes that point of view and maybe gets some traction with the market regulators in terms of getting trading suspended and investigated. The league has a responsibility to its other members and if the club suddenly stops existing mid-season, then it's going to affect everyone in their division.

I dunno - I suspect there's very little the league can actually do, but you'd like to see them at least making some sort of noise. A handful of  people are going to make a fair bit of money out of ending the existence of our neighbours and the league should really be making sure that the concept isn't appealing to other groups for other clubs.

For the stadium deal, I know someone said that the deal was "only" for ten or twelve years, but you'd have to say right now, the risk is greater that they won't be around to finish the deal than that they won't be able to afford to renew it in ten/twelve years time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess what I'd like to see from the EFL is something that might get noticed by the HKSE

Aye. Me too - Though the sceptic in me thinks "Yeah, right you are Pete. Of course the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is gonna care about the plight of small heath alliance, China's right on the side of the Brits right now, and what's a bit of money anyway?"

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Aye. Me too - Though the sceptic in me thinks "Yeah, right you are Pete. Of course the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is gonna care about the plight of small heath alliance, China's right on the side of the Brits right now, and what's a bit of money anyway?"

I would also think the EFL would be terrified of opening themselves up to a lawsuit on it. For the HSKE though, the money that's being erm...created (?) through the way that shares in the parent club are being generated and flipped isn't money that's coming out of English football, it's money that's being taken form the markets and borrowed from banks out there, you'd think that would get their interest.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

For the HSKE though, the money that's being erm...created (?) through the way that shares in the parent club are being generated and flipped isn't money that's coming out of English football, it's money that's being taken form the markets and borrowed from banks out there, you'd think that would get their interest.

I read a blog a concerned 'Nose wrote about it, and TBH I got confused. Various people have postulated their interpretations of what's been going on, and I'm not sure I could follow any of them. It definitely looks ropey, and you'd hope stock markets would care. But I don't think they do (unless or until it hits them in the pocket).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

As amusing as the story about their ground is I can’t help but feel there is more to this which might not be so funny.

The lease is pretty short, could it be that they have their eyes on the Commonwealth stadium being build in Perry Barr?

After the games there is going to be a stadium with a 40k capacity needing to be used. I can see them moving and the Sty getting knocked down.

I’d hate to see them get a West Ham style deal and land on our doorstep.

The Alexander Stadium is home to British Athletics. They hold a Diamond League and the UK Championships there every year, and dozens of more minor meets.  

I think it will survive just fine without a football tennant. 

• Like 1

Rotherham-Wycombe is on Monday so that's a huge 6 pointer for Rotherham.

If Wycombe hang on today they're 8 points off SHA so they could potentially get into the mix late on although that's a long shot.

Can see SHA getting another random win tonight as Swansea have dipped a bit and had loads on international duty over last two weeks.

Â