Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why would you ever predict Burnley to win? Make zero sense

Only won 2 games all season. Only scored 6. Conceded 18.

Are we supposed to be in awe with them for beating a 10 man Arsenal? A team we beat 3-0 at their turf

Ye, and let's be fair, Arsenal pretty much beat themselves against Burnley.

40 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The new sky sports prediction pundit, ‘Jones knows’ (whoever that is), predicts Burnley to win 0-1. He cites Ben Mee as the reason why, heaping praise on how good Burnley have been since he returned. 

Let’s hope that’s all bollocks and we win 3-0, with Mee getting sent off. 

Who is the ref for this one? If it's anyone half decent your prediction likely won't be far off.

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Who is the ref for this one? If it's anyone half decent your prediction likely won't be far off.

Just checked, it’s Craig Pawson. This is the first game he’s reffed for us this season. I know that because I know him, and I’ve helped him out with something at work this week. So I hope he remembers that and repays the favour! 

• Like 1

Difficult to pick a lineup for this one, with suspensions and injuries, and the fixtures coming fast over the next few weeks. I think I would go:

Martinez

Fred     Konsa   Mings    Targett    

Nakamba  McGinn

El Ghazi       Hourihane      Jack 

Ollie

ouch, the squad is starting to look very thin... 

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Difficult to pick a lineup for this one, with suspensions and injuries, and the fixtures coming fast over the next few weeks. I think I would go:

Martinez

Nakamba  McGinn

El Ghazi       Hourihane      Jack 

Ollie

ouch, the squad is starting to look very thin... 

Id prefer:

Martinez

Nakamba  McGinn

Traore       Jack           El Ghazi 

Ollie

Ramsey possibly instead of Nakamba if he can play a deeper role?

• Like 1

Im nervous about this one, if Barkley is still out alongside Trez, Cash and Luiz then I do worry as the side looks very much as it was at the start of last season - Also as per post above you can see Targett and Mcginn missing games shortly having 4 yellows and im sure the cut off being 19 games - No way they will survive for 9 games and you would have to say Luiz & Jack on 3 also are a worry.

Burnley are a bit of a bogey side at Villa park and their up and at them style seems to unsettle as dot teams that settle in at the back.

Hope im wrong but can see a draw - 1-1 

6 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Im nervous about this one, if Barkley is still out alongside Trez, Cash and Luiz then I do worry as the side looks very much as it was at the start of last season - Also as per post above you can see Targett and Mcginn missing games shortly having 4 yellows and im sure the cut off being 19 games - No way they will survive for 9 games and you would have to say Luiz & Jack on 3 also are a worry.

Burnley are a bit of a bogey side at Villa park and their up and at them style seems to unsettle as dot teams that settle in at the back.

Hope im wrong but can see a draw - 1-1 

I would take a draw all things considered. It would keep the point ticking over and wouldn’t be the worst result. Another clean sheet would be good too if we got a 0-0. Saying that I still think we have enough to beat them, got to try and take the game to them like we did last year (the game Wesley got nobbled in).

Edited by alreadyexists

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

No way. Just such a stronger team mentally now.

Going to Chelsea without Barkley and potentially McGinn and Grealish all in one go wouldn't be great though, proper backs to the wall with next to no creativity in midfield. Sort of situation where I'd be more than happy with 2-0 defeat.

A point would mean we will have only take one point in consecutive home games against Leeds, Southampton, Brighton and then Burnley, that would be one point from a possible twelve in the last four at home. Really could with a win.

40 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I would take a draw all things considered. It would keep the point ticking over and wouldn’t be the worst result. Another clean sheet would be good too if we got a 0-0. Saying that I still think we have enough to beat them, got to try and take the game to them like we did last year (the game Wesley got nobbled in).

I wouldn't take a draw. This season has been so refreshing so far without them. I'd rather we carry on just winning or losing. With slightly more wins than losses. If you told me now we didnt draw a game this season I'd be ecstatic.

3 hours ago, smg said:

Don’t think Barkley can play against Chelsea anyway as a loanee.

Yes correct. McGinn dosen't get booked next two but v Palace and he'll miss Chelsea as will Targett so we need to avoid that sort of situation.

I thought 5 yellows expiry was around 28th Dec like most years but forgot it will probably be sometime in January due to later starting season so we will get more players suspended, just need to space them out a bit like the two we have out v Burnley so Doug and Cashy get a week's rest at least.

6 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Just checked, it’s Craig Pawson. This is the first game he’s reffed for us this season. I know that because I know him, and I’ve helped him out with something at work this week. So I hope he remembers that and repays the favour! 

I had to double check to make sure Craig Pawson wasn't Craig Dawson's golden retriever. I thought we might be getting the Air Bud treatment.

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

I wouldn't take a draw. This season has been so refreshing so far without them. I'd rather we carry on just winning or losing. With slightly more wins than losses. If you told me now we didnt draw a game this season I'd be ecstatic.

A draw.....is like a win, we should have had or a defeat we just managed to dodge..... too many is not good, its still dropping points....but better than a defeat.

If you told me, we wouldn't lose another game....I would be ecstatic.

Edited by TRO

42 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Has Smith said if Barkley is fit for this game yet?

Nah, just that he was being assessed today. Nothing else will be said until an hour before kick off.

• Thanks 1