Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

Bit concerned with a number of 1st teamers out tonight,  hopefully the guys who come in step up to the plate and give Dean something to think about. 

Edited by dubbs
Typo
  • Like 1

Thinking about it, and thinking about how close Barkley was to being back anyway, I think he starts. In a more ideal scenario he sits on the bench. But he'd be such a huge boost at the right time when we're missing Trez, Doug & Cash aswell, that I think he'll be thrown in. And tbh I think his inclusion makes the difference in the game given everything else that's happening.

• Like 3

Burnley have got seven points from their last four games, which is a pity, that will have given them a big confidence boost, especially the last match (their win at Arsenal). Let's just hope their failure to score more than one goal in a match continues tonight!!! (The only game they've scored more than one goal in this season was their opener, a 4-2 defeat at Leicester).

On 16/12/2020 at 09:32, It's Your Round said:

Let’s hope that’s all bollocks and we win 3-0, with Mee getting snapped in half.  

Fixed.

Hope we don't take these lightly, their current form isn't too bad with 8 points from their last 5. We know they aren't going to out-football us but they will be compact and just sit in and hope to hit us on the break or from any set pieces around our box.  They have decent attackers in Wood and Rodriguez who need to be handled and I think the battle of those two with Konsa & Mings will be key to which way this one goes. We defend well, with no stupid lapses then we more than have enough creativity in forward areas to secure 3 points.

If Barkley is fit, I would go with the following side;

Martinez

Elmo    Konsa    Mings    Targett 

McGinn  Hourihane

Barkley

Trez            Watkins        Grealish

Think Trez will just give us a bit more defensively than Traore, think Elmo works better with Trez than Guilbert (though I can see arguments for Fred starting for his energy levels).

I would play Hourihane over Nakamba / Ramsey and have him and McGinn sitting a bit deeper but hopefully controlling the midfield from minute 1. Barkley doing what he does, roaming around and linking with Jack & Ollie.

If our attitude is on a par with how it was at Molineux then we will win this, anything less and we will be left feeling frustrated at VP again.

Prediction 3-1 - Watkins 2, Barkley - Wood.

UTV 

5 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Hope we don't take these lightly, their current form isn't too bad with 8 points from their last 5. We know they aren't going to out-football us but they will be compact and just sit in and hope to hit us on the break or from any set pieces around our box.  They have decent attackers in Wood and Rodriguez who need to be handled and I think the battle of those two with Konsa & Mings will be key to which way this one goes. We defend well, with no stupid lapses then we more than have enough creativity in forward areas to secure 3 points.

If Barkley is fit, I would go with the following side;

Martinez

Elmo    Konsa    Mings    Targett 

McGinn  Hourihane

Barkley

Trez            Watkins        Grealish

Think Trez will just give us a bit more defensively than Traore, think Elmo works better with Trez than Guilbert (though I can see arguments for Fred starting for his energy levels).

I would play Hourihane over Nakamba / Ramsey and have him and McGinn sitting a bit deeper but hopefully controlling the midfield from minute 1. Barkley doing what he does, roaming around and linking with Jack & Ollie.

If our attitude is on a par with how it was at Molineux then we will win this, anything less and we will be left feeling frustrated at VP again.

Prediction 3-1 - Watkins 2, Barkley - Wood.

UTV 

Trez has a hammy injury pal 

• Like 1

If he doesn’t start then I’m not sure 20 minutes at the end is worth the risk, who knows what damage could be done running, twisting and stretching after sitting down in the cold for an hour, especially following a hamstring injury.

52 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Ref better protect Jack. Poor sod is gonna get battered in this game

Ben Mee is back (and is the reason for their improved form by all accounts). I would hope Villa would be letting the officials know about that prick and his history with us before the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

4 first team players out though?

Trezeguet / Traore have been swapping anyway

I don't see a lot between Cash and Elmo

Luiz is a big miss

Who else is out?