Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

We’ve got three winnable games coming up now in Burnley, Albion and Palace. Gutted to be losing Douglas-Luiz and Cash for Burnley, but we’re still capable of winning the points. The rest they both get will hopefully benefit us over the Christmas period. We’re covered at RB with Elmo and Guilbert, and we can bring Nakamba in for DL. 

It’ll be nice to watch us on Prime instead of the sometimes terrible ‘alternative’ sources. 

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We’ve got three winnable games coming up now in Burnley, Albion and Palace. Gutted to be losing Douglas-Luiz and Cash for Burnley, but we’re still capable of winning the points. The rest they both get will hopefully benefit us over the Christmas period. We’re covered at RB with Elmo and Guilbert, and we can bring Nakamba in for DL. 

It’ll be nice to watch us on Prime instead of the sometimes terrible ‘alternative’ sources. 

All three matches on Prime?

We've arrested the concerning slide. Now its time to get back on a run. Luiz and Cash being out is a blow, but also a chance to rest up and give a couple of squad players a chance to make a claim.

2-0 to the Villa, a routine win just to sharpen our swords for the game against the bitters.

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Unfortunately not, Burnley is and the Chelsea game after Christmas. The Albion game is on BT and the Palace game on Boxing Day is on the BBC, which is nice. 

Cheers mate, I should see them all. I watched the match today on the BT app.

Can see this being a draw like last season.

Burnley are limited and will let us have the ball but they exposed us on the crosses last season and that's still a dodgy part for us so can see them sneaking a goal from corner with about 30% possesion.

1-1.

Will upgrade to 2-1 if Barkley is out there. Would assume Nakamba and AEM will come in for this but type of opposition Hourihane is usually decent against and he'd certainly give fresh legs.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Can see this being a draw like last season.

Burnley are limited and will let us have the ball but they exposed us on the crosses last season and that's still a dodgy part for us so can see them sneaking a goal from corner with about 30% possesion.

1-1.

Will upgrade to 2-1 if Barkley is out there. Would assume Nakamba and AEM will come in for this but type of opposition Hourihane is usually decent against and he'd certainly give fresh legs.

Anwar El Messi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could we possibly go with a back 3 for this game, bring in a bit more height and physicality? Will Davis be fit? It’d be interesting to see him and Watkins paired up against an anti-football Burnley side. We’ve no Matty Cash or Douglas Luiz for this one, so I would be tempted to look at a 3-5-2 for a limited but physical Burnley team. Starting lineup could look like;

........................Martinez.......................

.......Konsa.........Mings.........Hause.......

Trez....SJM..Nakamba...Barkley...AEG

......................Grealish............................

.....................Watkins..........................

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd rather forfeit than start Hause in a PL game.

Usual formation.  Fred for Cash, Nakamba in for Luiz, and either Trez or El Ghazi in for Traore. Barkley back in for Ramsey. Job's a good 'un.

Off topic but any news on Trez? He's injured?

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Usual formation.  Fred for Cash, Nakamba in for Luiz, and either Trez or El Ghazi in for Traore. Barkley back in for Ramsey. Job's a good 'un.

Hause played quite well at Turf Moore although part of a back 3 in that one. Don't see him starting anyway unless Mings or Konsa are out.

Burnley aren't a team who's going to stretch us in transition, they'll just be lumping long balls to Wood and Barnes all night and working off those knockdowns. I thought they were the poorest team we played all season in the away game and then they went on a great unbeaten straight after.

Would've been better to play them a few weeks ago as they're starting to pick up results and I think they'll get a draw at Arsenal.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Hause was part of a winning display against Burnley in a back 3 last season. He’s good in the air and physical, very useful in our box against Burnleys only threat of Wood and Barnes at set pieces. We’ve got more than enough football up front to trouble Burnley, we need a little bit extra in our own box to protect against the aerial threat. I would have mentioned Engels but he doesn’t seem close to the 1st team. 

• Like 4