Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

I would prefer not to play Barkley in this one, let him come back in on Sunday with the extra couple of days rest. He won’t be playing the Chelsea game on the 28th so he just has to get through two games before new year if he isn’t rushed back for this. 

—————-Emi——————

Fred Konsa Mings Targs

————Marv SJM————

AEG      Ramsey    Grealish

—————Watkins——————

I would be equally happy with Elmo at RB, Hourihane in for Nakamba or Ramsey and Traore in for El Ghazi though. Not a bad fixture to have options from the second string for. Feel El Ghazi deserves a start after showing the balls to take that late penalty on Saturday

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I hope our players are being well briefed on Ben Mee, perhaps being shown replays of his scissor assault on Wesley. It should serve to focus minds.

This prick has form. I just hope the refs are aware of it.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Why, care to explain?

I imagine it'd because—except for the first two games—this season we have a well established trend of winning the 'hard' games and losing the 'easier' ones.

17 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I imagine it'd because—except for the first two games—this season we have a well established trend of winning the 'hard' games and losing the 'easier' ones.

Thats if you think Burnley is an easier game?

Edited by TRO

On 13/12/2020 at 13:34, GingerCollins29 said:

I can see how it might not make sense. 🤣

I'm surprised that fred isnt first choice (between him and elmo) in smiths eyes.seeing as fred got more game time last year. I also rate fred a lot more than elmo

Whilst I don't agree with you on AEG, I definitely agree on Fred. Far better player than Elmo and hopefully he starts on Thursday.

Elmo has more experience but he doesn't offer a great deal and is well into his 30s now. He won't bring any extra height or aerial ability than Guilbert to deal with Burnley's balls into the box either. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

On 12/12/2020 at 19:33, OxfordVillan said:

Could we possibly go with a back 3 for this game, bring in a bit more height and physicality? Will Davis be fit? It’d be interesting to see him and Watkins paired up against an anti-football Burnley side. We’ve no Matty Cash or Douglas Luiz for this one, so I would be tempted to look at a 3-5-2 for a limited but physical Burnley team. Starting lineup could look like;

........................Martinez.......................

.......Konsa.........Mings.........Hause.......

Trez....SJM..Nakamba...Barkley...AEG

......................Grealish............................

.....................Watkins..........................

I wouldn't mind this and think it would make sense to get Hause in there for the Burnley bombardment.

However, I wouldn't want to drop Targett and I would play him instead of AEG.  I would also stick with Ramsey if Barkley is not fit to return.

We really need Barkley for this one in Luiz's absence. We're very light in midfield if we're relying on McGinn, Hourihane and A.N.Other to provide enough steel.  Maybe someone like Marvelous might be the ticket here?

I don't think the below has enough in midfield

11290c652e2a120c30d362d370f12466.png

I'd probably go with something like this

f67f73316958f29dc9e302bd106e8b31.png

But that might be a bit defeatist at home. I dunno.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I prefer Guilbert to Elmo as a player in general, but having watched him for the U23's, Guilbert is a mile away from fitness or form.

A 10/10 Guilbert is in my opinion better than a 10/10 Elmohamady, but we'll get nothing like a 10/10 Guilbert at the moment and Elmohamady will always give you a 7/10 Elmohamady.

Elmohamady is significantly better in the air than Guilbert, he's one of our better players in the air, Elmo is better in the air than Cash, or indeed anyone in our first team with the exception of the centre halves, and he's close to those two - his heading ability is a real strength for him.

Fair enough. I’m probably undervaluing Elmo’s aerial ability but mainly because I feel full backs should be rampaging and high energy (like Fred) rather than having height and winning lots of headers. 

Pretty sure DS will go with Elmo regardless, especially if Guilbert is not performing for the under 23s, but it’s a shame as I feel there is a decent RB in there who should be competing with Cash for the RB spot.

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Fair enough. I’m probably undervaluing Elmo’s aerial ability but mainly because I feel full backs should be rampaging and high energy (like Fred) rather than having height and winning lots of headers. 

Pretty sure DS will go with Elmo regardless, especially if Guilbert is not performing for the under 23s, but it’s a shame as I feel there is a decent RB in there who should be competing with Cash for the RB spot.

I agree with you on pretty much all points - I prefer a Guilbert style full back, I think DS will go with Elmo regardless and I'm disappointed that Guilbert seems to have gone backwards, there's a really good player in there somewhere.

• Like 1