Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Conor played well in the deep lying playmaker role in the Championship.

But Nakamba is the more defensive option.

There we go in the championship. He ain’t good enough to be starting In the prem and I think smith sees that now after Ramsey started against wolves 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

No way. Especially not this season, in any fixture, not even Man City.

Would you have took a point before Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal and Wolves?

You’re damn right I would have. Especially if we had Cash, luiz and Barkley out.

I just think such is the quality difference between our first 11 and the bench one or two players missing significantly weakens us and turns us in to the team that stayed up by a point. 

I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Hope we don't take these lightly, their current form isn't too bad with 8 points from their last 5. We know they aren't going to out-football us but they will be compact and just sit in and hope to hit us on the break or from any set pieces around our box.  They have decent attackers in Wood and Rodriguez who need to be handled and I think the battle of those two with Konsa & Mings will be key to which way this one goes. We defend well, with no stupid lapses then we more than have enough creativity in forward areas to secure 3 points.

If Barkley is fit, I would go with the following side;

Martinez

Elmo    Konsa    Mings    Targett 

McGinn  Hourihane

Barkley

Trez            Watkins        Grealish

Think Trez will just give us a bit more defensively than Traore, think Elmo works better with Trez than Guilbert (though I can see arguments for Fred starting for his energy levels).

I would play Hourihane over Nakamba / Ramsey and have him and McGinn sitting a bit deeper but hopefully controlling the midfield from minute 1. Barkley doing what he does, roaming around and linking with Jack & Ollie.

If our attitude is on a par with how it was at Molineux then we will win this, anything less and we will be left feeling frustrated at VP again.

Prediction 3-1 - Watkins 2, Barkley - Wood.

UTV 

Totally agree with this line up. Not convinced by Nakamba at all so Conor for me.

Looks like Trez won't make it so swap Traore in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let’s face it. They are both very average players.

Conor works hard for the setup and system Smith employs. At worst he's a liability, which is not what we're looking for on a team sheet.

On his day though he is a fairly adequate contributor to the team, and has been involved in more than a few decent passages of play where build up leads to threatening goal.

I've never really seen Nakamba do much outside of some commendable defensive efforts. Conor fits our on the ball approach better in my opinion.