Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

On 12/12/2020 at 17:02, It's Your Round said:

Unfortunately not, Burnley is and the Chelsea game after Christmas. The Albion game is on BT and the Palace game on Boxing Day is on the BBC, which is nice. 

‘Lawro’ on Boxing Day 🤦‍♂️🤮

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

—————-Emi——————

Elmo Konsa Mings Targs

————Marv SJM————

Traore   Ramsey    Grealish

—————Watkins——————

Will be the team I think. 

I think you’re probably on the money with the lineup, but I’d like to see us with a back 3 for Burnley. I think Burnley are a team you can afford to go 3 at the back, with Mings or Konsa walking it out most of the time as there’ll be space in front of them. Burnley aren’t going to play on the front foot, they’ll play for set pieces and 2nd balls, looking for their two lumps up front to do the damage. That’s where I think Hause could help us, as he does have good aerial ability and likes the physical challenge. 

Having heard the press conference I don’t think we’ll see Barkley in the squad, so we’ll be going into this game without Cash, Luiz, Barkley, and Trezeguet. Given those missing I think Grealish has to come in from the left, probably a free role but more centrally biased. I’d put ElGhazi on the left and Traore on the right. Probably McGinniesta and Ramsey as the central two with Nakamba sitting behind.

..........................Martinez.........................

.......Konsa.........Mings........Hause..........

.........................Nakamba.........................

................Ramsey.............McGinn...........

Traore...............Grealish..............ElGhazi 

..........................Watkins............................

I simply don’t see Burnley committing the numbers forward from midfield that might make our flanks over vulnerable behind ElGhazi and Traore, nothing that Hause or Konsa couldn’t see off in tandem with a covering Nakamba. 

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Oh Jesus no, I hadn’t considered that. Do they still roll him out for work then? 
I’ve not watched any live football on the BBC in years. 

Not sure but he does the BBC predictions and most of the first call staff will probably be on holiday so there is a chance

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not sure but he does the BBC predictions and most of the first call staff will probably be on holiday so there is a chance

Lawro and Crooks it is then. The dream team.. for those with no imagination, incapable of dreaming. 

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Oh Jesus no, I hadn’t considered that. Do they still roll him out for work then? 
I’ve not watched any live football on the BBC in years. 

It’ll be even worse... Danny Murphy

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

I imagine it'd because—except for the first two games—this season we have a well established trend of winning the 'hard' games and losing the 'easier' ones.

I was rather keen to avoid Imagining as that would be me answering the question I asked him.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Really have to win this. Just for a bit of consistency and building back some momentum. Plus, it’s nice to win. And Burnley are awful.  

Burnely are typical of a team that operates with a limited budget.....we have to be ready for that.

If we score early, I'll be confident we will see the game through and get a couple of others. Need to start the game quickly. I feel more confident in our defence against this lot than some of the other attacking line ups we've come up against. We need to be on it. I think we've had enough disappointing home results that complacency will not be a factor. 

On random superstition fronts I think that their win over arsenal sort of helps me feel more confident for this one. not sure why. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Because we've done better against the bigger teams so far this season, we need to learn how to beat the likes of Brighton & Leeds 

ok.....I like the word "learn".....I see it the same.

I think it will be a tough game for us.....not one for the purists.

but if we apply oursleves like we did against Wolves, and add a bit of flair, we can do it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I'm feeling pretty confident ahead of this game. If we continue to create chances like we have been, and I believe we will, then we should be able to over-run them and squeeze in a few goals. I think it's due time that Watkins has a helluva game again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolta said:

I imagine it'd because—except for the first two games—this season we have a well established trend of winning the 'hard' games and losing the 'easier' ones.

How do you define hard and easy ? Southampton are 4th, West Ham 6th, (hard or easy ?) Leeds battered us despite their lowly position, we should have done better against Brighton.