Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

"Barkley will be assessed ahead of the game" That's a big no for me.

When in doubt, don't risk it.

I'm quite optimistic after that, not ruled out so can see him being named on the bench. Would be good to bring high quality player on with 30 mins left if say score is 0-0 as we simply don't have enough game changers on the bench and Barkley would certainly be one and force Burnley back.

Just had a look at what our yellow card situation is, Jack is on 3, Targett 4 and McGinn on 4 so we'll probably miss a couple of them for one of the xmas games. Just hope it's not Chelsea away as already Barkley can't play in that and don't really want to go there with decimated first 11. Would be shades of 2012.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, smg said:

How do you define hard and easy ? Southampton are 4th, West Ham 6th, (hard or easy ?) Leeds battered us despite their lowly position, we should have done better against Brighton.

Good point.

I will have a go.......

• The teams that don't want to play and get in our faces, to stop us....we have struggled against in the past.....we like space.
  • The teams that fancy their chances at playing the ball around, allow space and we can, and do, exploit that

but in one way or another, all teams in this league are hard.....to have 6 wins and 5 clean sheets in 10 games, does suggest, we are doing many things right....its quite amazing really.

However, It doesn't mean between ourselves we can't discuss ways of being even better, without being accussed of being ungrateful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think it will be a tough game for us.....not one for the purists.

but if we apply oursleves like we did against Wolves, and add a bit of flair, we can do it.

Agreed. We must make sure complacency isn’t a thing and defend properly, first and foremost. Then we need to be disciplined and patient, in Grealish we have a player who will likely create the single opportunity required to win a game. The mindset for this game must be “clean sheet”. If we do that then I’d be confident that we can create a good enough opportunity or two for someone to win the game for us. I’d be massively encouraged if this is a game we can win 1-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smg said:

How do you define hard and easy ? Southampton are 4th, West Ham 6th, (hard or easy ?) Leeds battered us despite their lowly position, we should have done better against Brighton.

I put them in quote marks to show I didn't agree with it. We were much better than West Ham anyway and they were lucky.

Regardless, there are obviously very few easy games in the prem. The teams who beat us are competitive and we have no right to win any game. At least we've looked good in every fixture except for the Leeds one—it's been a long long time since any of us could say that.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of Elmo. I think he gives us a dimension we don't get even from Cash. He's got an amazing deep cross, he's got great tight ball control, is athletic and is very defensively solid. I still just about prefer Cash in there but I certainly don't think Elmo is a downgrade.

Nakamba in for Luiz is a bigger problem. They're not the same level but it's not worth changing the system to avoid him.

A lot will depend on if Barkley is fit. If he is, we'll be too strong up front so Nakamba won't have as much to do.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Agreed. We must make sure complacency isn’t a thing and defend properly, first and foremost. Then we need to be disciplined and patient, in Grealish we have a player who will likely create the single opportunity required to win a game. The mindset for this game must be “clean sheet”. If we do that then I’d be confident that we can create a good enough opportunity or two for someone to win the game for us. I’d be massively encouraged if this is a game we can win 1-0

Love your mindset.

9 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think you’re probably on the money with the lineup, but I’d like to see us with a back 3 for Burnley. I think Burnley are a team you can afford to go 3 at the back, with Mings or Konsa walking it out most of the time as there’ll be space in front of them. Burnley aren’t going to play on the front foot, they’ll play for set pieces and 2nd balls, looking for their two lumps up front to do the damage. That’s where I think Hause could help us, as he does have good aerial ability and likes the physical challenge. 

Having heard the press conference I don’t think we’ll see Barkley in the squad, so we’ll be going into this game without Cash, Luiz, Barkley, and Trezeguet. Given those missing I think Grealish has to come in from the left, probably a free role but more centrally biased. I’d put ElGhazi on the left and Traore on the right. Probably McGinniesta and Ramsey as the central two with Nakamba sitting behind.

..........................Martinez.........................

.......Konsa.........Mings........Hause..........

.........................Nakamba.........................

................Ramsey.............McGinn...........

Traore...............Grealish..............ElGhazi 

..........................Watkins............................

I simply don’t see Burnley committing the numbers forward from midfield that might make our flanks over vulnerable behind ElGhazi and Traore, nothing that Hause or Konsa couldn’t see off in tandem with a covering Nakamba. 

We back in the league cup? 😜

11 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Not sure but he does the BBC predictions and most of the first call staff will probably be on holiday so there is a chance

He has us to draw this one. In fact, we are in the relagtion zone based on his prodictions this season and I can't remember him going for a Villa win since we put 7 goals past a certain team....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, One For The Road said:

He has us to draw this one. In fact, we are in the relagtion zone based on his prodictions this season and I can't remember him going for a Villa win since we put 7 goals past a certain team....

He very very rarely predicts any more than 3 goals in a game, even with this being a crazy season with way more goals than usual. I get the impression that he really dislikes doing the prediction thing, like it's a hassle. I cant buy that youd be that dull with it if you looked into it or enjoyed doing it.

West ham v chelsea 0-2

Man u v palace 2-0

Everton v Newcastle 2-1

Brighton v Liverpool 0-2 

Man city v Fulham ohhh!! Drama!! 3-0

FFS

• Haha 1

I thought this might be another tight game ala Wolves, but I forgot we put 2 past them in both our matches last season. If Ross is fit enough for even the final 30 mins of the game then I think we will take this.

Just hope the ref keeps a close eye on that word removed Ben Mee.

• Like 1

The new sky sports prediction pundit, ‘Jones knows’ (whoever that is), predicts Burnley to win 0-1. He cites Ben Mee as the reason why, heaping praise on how good Burnley have been since he returned. 

Let’s hope that’s all bollocks and we win 3-0, with Mee getting sent off. 

• Like 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Based on his prediction, I’m inclined to say yes. But then he’s got a job that earns money, so it’s doubtful. 

Why would you ever predict Burnley to win? Make zero sense

Only won 2 games all season. Only scored 6. Conceded 18.

Are we supposed to be in awe with them for beating a 10 man Arsenal? A team we beat 3-0 at their turf

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why would you ever predict Burnley to win? Make zero sense

Only won 2 games all season. Only scored 6. Conceded 18.

Are we supposed to be in awe with them for beating a 10 man Arsenal? A team we beat 3-0 at their turf

We should win, but football’s never that simple. Burnley have been cack but their recent results have picked up. They’ve beaten Arsenal and Palace, and drew with Everton and Brighton in the last five games. They got a standard 5-0 thrashing from citeh though in between. 

It won’t be an easy game, but if we focus and take our chances, we should get the points. It’s always a big if though with Villa. 

• Like 1