Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Not a reliable source I wouldnt expect (cant see in the blacklist thread), not the age we have been looking at before and many other reasons.  Havent seen us linked with him before, so I'm just posting.

https://blog.marathonbet.co.uk/unattached-players-january-transfer-window/

MARIO MANDŽUKIĆ

Previous club: Al-Duhail

Why sign him? Let’s call it the ‘Cavani Effect’.

The 34-year-old Croatian ace might not quite be the force of old, but if you need a short-term battering ram to bully Premier League defences in an open-looking title race, look no further.  

With a CV that boasts clubs including Juve, Atlético and Bayern, plus a World Cup runners-up medal to his name, he won’t be phased by the challenge of one last hurrah in a league as competitive as the English top flight.

He also might just fancy proving himself in the one elite European league that has always evaded him. Aston Villa have reportedly been sniffing around, but the veteran might just hang tight until January should a more high-profile suitor emerge.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not a reliable source I wouldnt expect (cant see in the blacklist thread), not the age we have been looking at before and many other reasons.  Havent seen us linked with him before, so I'm just posting.

He is a player I've always admired and at his peak would be a great option but he will have done well to stay in shape having not played any serious football since 2019.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He is a player I've always admired and at his peak would be a great option but he will have done well to stay in shape having not played any serious football since 2019.

by serious football do you mean he's just been stuck at home playing football manager?

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

by serious football do you mean he's just been stuck at home playing football manager?

Think he meant Sensible Soccer. Mandzukic probably has some sort of emulator on his PC

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Sensible...

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you're saying that Watkins is key to how we play with his energy, movement and pressing then I'm not sure his back up would be a 34 year mandzukic 

Yeah, Mandzukic is a very intelligent player but I doubt he could do that job in the PL anymore.

Surely there’s got to be a deal done for Boulaye Dia (24 y/o Senegalese Intl) from Reims?

He’s just behind Mbappe in the Ligue 1 scoring charts and yet Reims are in a relegation battle. Given the financial crisis in Ligue 1 they may be interested in the money.

Send Keinan Davis in the opposite direction and at least that way he plays a high standard of first team football.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

On one of the earlier games in the season the commentary team mentioned that we had tried to sign him on a free after he had his contract cancelled. Allegedly he rejected the opportunity to play for us. Him or Diego Costa on a short term deal would be perfect for all parties. 

Edited by Sulberto21

4 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Shame, Eze is the calibre of player we need in those wide forward positions. Strong, confident on the ball and works hard... As good as they've been recently, AEG, Traore and Trez are the areas we need to upgrade.

I wanted Eze in the summer he plays at 10 or in Jacks position.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No 

And I don't think he'd come either, South London boy who got a move to the big south London club, its a very good move for him 

Palace aren't exactly a big club 🤔

He's a huge talent and I'd be surprised if Palace hang on to him long term. Though they kept hold of Zaha for so long so you never know. 

4 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

Anybody agree with me that Trossard at Brighton would be a useful addition. Always been impressed with him when I've watched him

I remember being pleased he wasn't playing against us

I like Trossard and I think we were linked with him the summer we got promoted. He's not pushed on so much at Brighton but I think that's because he doesn't have so many good players around him. 

Whether Brighton go down or not, I'd like us to go back in for him. Him, Jack and Ollie would be a really good front three. 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Palace aren't exactly a big club 🤔

He's a huge talent and I'd be surprised if Palace hang on to him long term. Though they kept hold of Zaha for so long so you never know. 

No but they're the big club in the area he's from, I don't think he was ever going anywhere else last summer, South london kid signed for a South London club

Agree he might not stay there, Palace need a post Roy overhaul but for this stage of his career it was a really good move for him that's worked a treat

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No but they're the big club in the area he's from, I don't think he was ever going anywhere else last summer, South london kid signed for a South London club

Agree he might not stay there, Palace need a post Roy overhaul but for this stage of his career it was a really good move for him that's worked a treat

OK, yeah, sorry only just realised you said big South London club which I guess for that part of London Palace are.

Yeah he's doing well at Palace and linking up with Zaha must be enjoyable for him. They're a decent side on their good days Palace but don't see them ever being more than upper bottom half of the table, so be surprised if he does a Zaha and stays there for his peak years (unless Palace price him out of a move or no one better comes in for him).

5 hours ago, Rich192 said:

I imagine Kalinic’s space in the squad goes to Wesley. So unless we shift another player, we won’t bring anyone in. 

Wesley was named in the original squad iirc.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

not based on any knowledge of what kind of player he is now, and although his stint in the prem didnt set the world alight last time, Kagawa was always a tidy player, 31 yrs old, on a free.....eh, who knows.

if nothing else......my money head says......Japanese fans.