Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We have one of the lowest wage bills in the division at the moment and likely have ample headroom. Sadly the “wage bill league” almost mirrors the final league positions which says it all. We have to rise to the challenge, we can see what a difference Barkley has made as a quality recruit.

I don’t think we do any more.  This season’s wage bill will likely be mid-table (assuming you count paying Chelsea £11m for the loan as wages).

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I hope we’re in the market for an attacking option. A versatile forward would be great. 

Maybe we could try and persuade Hertha Berlin to cash in on Matheus Cunha now that they are having such a rotten season. Would likely cost way more than we are willing to pay thou and I doubt they are looking to sell.

Still feel that France is where to look now that the Ligue 1 TV deal has collapsed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Not 100% sure how reliable David Ornstein is but he had a piece in the Athletic this week and said he wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the teams that looked to take advantage of certain leagues' financial situations

I read that, but it was very vague, like a sort of; they might be one of the teams who might do something but they might not do that, sort of thing. 

• Like 1

I don't think David Ornstein knows shit. He's all pure guesswork. This is the same guy who was saying how MUtd players were all asking Jack when he was going there during the pre season friendly. Like he'd know. No sources just make it up for the sheep. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets his info off Evans and just regurgitates it. He's a, they may, they might speculative  individual imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

We have one of the lowest wage bills in the division at the moment and likely have ample headroom. Sadly the “wage bill league” almost mirrors the final league positions which says it all. We have to rise to the challenge, we can see what a difference Barkley has made as a quality recruit.

Spurs wage bill is much lower than their competitors.

Wage commitments is what weighs clubs down with regards to transfers

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

How can we improve on this team currently without spending crazy. 

We can’t but we can Improve the bench. Neil Taylor will be coming in to team unless Targett can avoid a yellow card in the next 5 games. 

Saying that the fringe players have shown so much improvement I wouldn’t be shocked if he came in and did a good job. 

30 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

It will be hard but when you look at the players like Cash and Martinez that we signed this summer it is possible but the better we get the harder it gets.

As we improve we should be looking to add less players for higher individual fee's, such as Watkins but our improvement also enables us to add players for the medium to long term to develop within the squad.

I can't really recall a time I've had as much faith in our player recruitment though.

• Like 2

Now we will be in a position where players will be taking notice of Villa - Grealish and Smith & Co... You can see by the way we are performing,  the team camaraderie, ethos and the investment both on & off the pitch top to bottom. We are a exciting team to watch and I can see players who before would have shun us to now be available. Barkley was seduced here and shone thus far. Whose next?  

The calibre of players now open to us is chalk and cheese from when we were promoted. We need to constantly replenish the squad to raise the overall quality & depth whilst producing a route from the U23’s... Let’s hope Lange & McKenzie hit the January sales ! 

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

It depends on loads of factors such as FFP, how much the owners want to invest, what their aims are and so on.

Most of the improvements we could make to our team boil down to needing another half a dozen players for competition, substitution, injury and suspension. One would assume we could be more consistent and push on to a higher level of performance like that.
Outside of that you are looking at high quality individuals which USUALLY cost a lot in fees and wages.

Still want a CB and Lundstram.

Striker is a difficult one, Watkins should be the undoubted no 1. It would be disruptive to buy someone at the same level as him and I don't thnik we will (or can?) spend that much. Bringing in a Samatta level of player wouldn't make much sense. When Wesley comes back and if he finds his form again it would be ideal with him as back up and competitor for Watkins. But if Wesley isn't back for antoher couple of months it's tricky. We could go for a young one with potential, but that doesn't give us much help in the short run. If we get a really good back up striker, we will have too many when Wesley is back, can't really have three of them competing for one position. I think I would settle for just going with Watkins, with Traoré as back up and Davis as third choice until Wesley is back.

• Like 1