Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Pressing game works unless you go over the top and direct then all the pressing in the world is useless.

hopefully Dean has the ability to change tactics mid game is Southampton double up on the man with the ball and the short passes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I sincerely hope I am wrong....but I don't think we have the right profile of player in the key area to trouble Southampton....Like Leeds they win the ball off you ,very efficiently.

I always hope for a reversal of what my head tells me......But I am not expecting anything there, based on the way we play.

Famous last words 😉 I will get back to you when we thump them 3-0. I agree its going to be a tough game but we were pretty pragmatic against leicester denying them many chances.  I think this will be a true test of how far we have come this season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Famous last words 😉 I will get back to you when we thump them 3-0. I agree its going to be a tough game but we were pretty pragmatic against leicester denying them many chances.  I think this will be a true test of how far we have come this season. 

If we beat them 3-0 nil, I will beat you to it......Yeah we was good against Leicester especially the clean sheet.....However, you could see against Arsenal the difference Vardy Makes....just glad he was out against us....His bloody pace for 33 is amazing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I sincerely hope I am wrong....but I don't think we have the right profile of player in the key area to trouble Southampton....Like Leeds they win the ball off you ,very efficiently.

I always hope for a reversal of what my head tells me......But I am not expecting anything there, based on the way we play.

I thought the Saints were a very much ball playing team. Thus I would think that suits us to the ground. Am I wrong in this? 

Our record against Southampton between both their relegations, our own relegation and now is pretty dismal. Last beat them in 2013. Few hidings including a 6-1 under Tactics Tim too if I recall. I think we’re going to lose to be honest and will see that feel good factor ebb away. 

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

Our record against Southampton between both their relegations, our own relegation and now is pretty dismal. Last beat them in 2013. Few hidings including a 6-1 under Tactics Tim too if I recall. I think we’re going to lose to be honest and will see that feel good factor ebb away. 

Wow one defeat and it has got to this already?! I am still basking in the 4 wins. 

High scoring draw. 2-2. 

• Like 1

In 40 odd years of going to the villa, this game last season is the only game I've never returned back to my seat 2nd half,

Stopped on the concourse getting pissed watching in on the telly. 

Edited by Kingman

Definitely need to utilise the subs bench a bit more when the pattern of a game needs altering. Keinan and Conor after it went 2-0 should have got some minutes against Leeds I thought. Just to mix things up and give Leeds something else to think about. Deano seems reluctant again, its worked for him as we’d won every game previous but being proactive can certainly come up trumps even in tight games.

Saints have had our number for quite a while now, im very anxious to see how we get on. I hate these sort of games where you go in with hope but the head says they will boss the game and we’ll struggle to get into our stride. Ings and Adams are starting to look dangerous as a partnership too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

In 40 odd years of going to the villa, this game last season is the only game I've never returned back to my seat 2nd half,

Stopped on the concourse getting pissed watching in on the telly. 

I remember this game too from last season and I have similar Memories....It peed me off more than any other game, inc Man City.

I hope we deploy the post lockdown Villa as opposed to the Pre lockdown version......We have to get tighter and compete, not ball watch.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Definitely need to utilise the subs bench a bit more when the pattern of a game needs altering. Keinan and Conor after it went 2-0 should have got some minutes against Leeds I thought. Just to mix things up and give Leeds something else to think about. Deano seems reluctant again, its worked for him as we’d won every game previous but being proactive can certainly come up trumps even in tight games.

Saints have had our number for quite a while now, im very anxious to see how we get on. I hate these sort of games where you go in with hope but the head says they will boss the game and we’ll struggle to get into our stride. Ings and Adams are starting to look dangerous as a partnership too. 

Ings is looking like a version of Vardy to me.....so quick, sharp and intelligent.....need to go man to man on him.

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

As others have said, Southampton are similar to Leeds, so Dean really needs to up his tactical game to avoid another humbling here.

Loss this, and i fear for the team.

They are similar in some aspects of their play.....sadly the aspects we don't like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

out of interest, why do you fear for us if we suffer defeat?

Because going 1 down to Leeds heads dropped and we quickly conceded 2 more.

If we don't respect Southampton as we didn't Leeds, confidence will spiral.

This team is still mentally fragile.

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hopefully Gabby doesn't jinx us here as well.

Gabby needs to STFU after Leeds. He bigged up the club so much that it was like Leeds were Ultron in the Avengers who decided to all of a sudden drop Sokovia out of the sky. Yet nstead of us the Avengers saving the world and blowing Sokovia up in mid air, we actually failed and Sokovia hit the world and caused an extinction level event.

Not good Gabby 🤫.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Gabby needs to STFU after Leeds. He bigged up the club so much that it was like Leeds were Ultron in the Avengers who decided to all of a sudden drop Sokovia out of the sky. Yet nstead of us the Avengers saving the world and blowing Sokovia up in mid air, we actually failed and Sokovia hit the world and caused an extinction level event.

Not good Gabby 🤫.

I’m curious as to who would be thanos in this analogy, and what represents the 6 infinity stones 😁

• Thanks 1