Ross Barkley

LondonLax

13 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Short term deal (i.e. 2 year contract at most) it's fine to add depth. Barkley has had a good season with Luton and technically can play in our team, but isn't a long term answer.

If it means we can spend big on a defensive midfielder and right back then I'm ok with these smart deals. Just don't put him on a long contract. 

Funny you should say that. Just read a report we’re interested in a double deal for two Inter players. 47m for Dumfries and Allani. One a right back the other a defensive midfielder. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

A fair number of people (myself included) were sceptical about signing Tielemans and that has turned out to be an astute piece of business. The Ross Barkley we saw in the second half of his loan with us was one of the most pitiful sights I've seen on a football pitch, but this past season he's had at Luton proves that there is still a real player there. He's been very effective as a playmaker against even the better sides in the PL, despite being in a very poor team. If we assume that he's a rotation option and that he could cover in 2 or 3 positions then I don't think there's much risk involved for a small fee and his wages. If he's the Luiz replacement then the conversation changes, of course!

Who?? Are you okay? Anyone who was skeptical about the Tielemans signing needs a head wobble

This is not the same thing or remotely comparable, I wish people would stop relating the two.

Edited by est1874

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I know it's YouTube but his highlights this season show a different player to what I saw. 

Strong and composed on the ball. 

Looks perfect for how we play out from the back. 

He was a Gerrard type player when he played for us, but now he's very much an Emery player

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

My worry with Barkley isn't his footballing ability, it's his athleticism and pace. 

His technique and ability can't be questioned. They're top notch and probably always have been.

My worry is we're starting to put together a squad that lacks pace and energy. Tielemans and Barkley are both great footballers but they lack energy. It's why I liked the Gallagher links because I believe he brings an energy we lack in the middle of the pitch. Even Kamara and Luiz can be pedestrian at times (again, ability not in question).

I hope we procure some athleticism at some point. Like me. In my prime. 

Emery got that little dumpling Tielemans looking like Kante. Barkley's going to be the new Zidane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Emery got that little dumpling Tielemans looking like Kante. Barkley's going to be the new Zidane.

🎶 …he’s Unai Emery’s man, he’s better than Zidane, we’ve got Super Ro…

na it doesn’t work at all…

there can be only one.

Edited by Jas10

If he can stay fit he would be a decent squad player. To get him without paying a fee is very important given that even mediocre players cost big money these days. Good business.

Extremely 'unnourished' by this strong rumour. He stank the place out last time here. Mostly, it was his effort which was appalling.

Also, I keep seeing 'if Emery wants him, then it's all good...', shall we just close down all discussions in transfer threads then? Clearly we shouldn't have any concerns whatsoever about all future signings because of our current successes?!

37 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

My worry with Barkley isn't his footballing ability, it's his athleticism and pace. 

His technique and ability can't be questioned. They're top notch and probably always have been.

My worry is we're starting to put together a squad that lacks pace and energy. Tielemans and Barkley are both great footballers but they lack energy. It's why I liked the Gallagher links because I believe he brings an energy we lack in the middle of the pitch. Even Kamara and Luiz can be pedestrian at times (again, ability not in question).

I hope we procure some athleticism at some point. Like me. In my prime. 

We have a few athletic players like Rogers and Ramsey but hopefully he will sign somebody else that fits that bill. A year ago I would have though 'what the heck'. But he's had a good season and we need players who are stronger on the ball.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm very much for this. As I remember last time he was here he was excepted to be an attacking midfielder (and did quite well the first months, the trashing of LIverpool comes to mind for example), second part of the season he looked injured/half arsed. If he now comes in as a CM I think it could be bordering a genius move. He is a real unit, strong in the duels, his passing ability is sublime, both short space possession passing and long range through ball-passing. He still has the ability to get past players in short spaces in the middle of the pitch (not so much the surging runs you would expect from a more attacking midfielder). As I've understood Luton has played a 3-4-3 where Barkley has been one of the two CM, seems similar to the role that our two CM has. He certainly brings the ability to keep the ball and control the game.

Forget about him as the attacking midfielder expected to win games with goals and assists. Instead, a big strong lad in the middle of the pitch who shows for the ball, often wins his duels, is an exquisite passer and has an eye for a through ball who we can get on a free transfer or small fee - yes please!  

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Extremely 'unnourished' by this strong rumour. He stank the place out last time here. Mostly, it was his effort which was appalling.

Also, I keep seeing 'if Emery wants him, then it's all good...', shall we just close down all discussions in transfer threads then? Clearly we shouldn't have any concerns whatsoever about all future signings because of our current successes?!

Every signing comes with an element of risk, more so with RB because he’s already shown his low and ebbs with us previously but to judge him on a few years ago after the season he just put in with Luton is also a topic for discussion. 
By all means we should discuss both sides pro’s and cons and everything will have their own opinions on him but end of the day if the Gaffer see’s potential in him it really doesn’t matter what you, the others and I think as its decision. 
I can see some people’s hesitation on the signing but I can also see the positives on a number of levels. 

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

273 pages of transfer speculation and it's only been a day. Is this rashica this year 😉

still carping on  about him I see, a strange plaice to be considering 

• Like 1

At least when we usually sign / get linked to underwhelming names we can at least kid ourselves that they might work out okay.

But, we’ve been here before, as far as I see it in the 3 years since he’s left he’s had one good half of a season for Luton, in a team whereby you would expect even him to stand out. I trust Emery and the transfer crew, everything they’ve done to date has had a positive effect on the team, so on that basis we have to give it the benefit of the doubt but feels a bit iffy to me.

41 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Who?? Are you okay? Anyone who was skeptical about the Tielemans signing needs a head wobble

This is not the same thing or remotely comparable, I wish people would stop relating the two.

There were loads of people on here who were skeptical when Tielemans signed - and even after his first few games. Think we even had a LCFC fan come on here to tell us all about how poor he'd been for them for some reason.... 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

At least when we usually sign / get linked to underwhelming names we can at least kid ourselves that they might work out okay.

But, we’ve been here before, as far as I see it in the 3 years since he’s left he’s had one good half of a season for Luton, in a team whereby you would expect even him to stand out. I trust Emery and the transfer crew, everything they’ve done to date has had a positive effect on the team, so on that basis we have to give it the benefit of the doubt but feels a bit iffy to me.

Reminds me of the Marlon Harewood signing when we were all convinced that Wesley Snjeider was signing. Think that's when the 'how many chairs are there at the press conference?' thing was born.

I'm much more upbeat about Ross Barkley than I was about Marlon however.

Would be absolutely fine with this.  He's not our marquee signing (if even there will be), he's going to bolster a squad that desperately needs it with the season ahead.

I thought he was good here but just couldn't stay fit.  That's always a risk again but trust the gaffer.

Wonder if he got on with the lads when he was here. You'd think that conversations would have been had.

• Like 3

Â