Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

There were two people running for the ball side by side.  Watkins put his arm across the defender first pulling on his left arm to gain traction.   The defender tried pulled his arm then moved onto his chest.  This was not a clear goal scoring opportunity.  

im sure you’ll disagree, and you will provide your reasons.  But Paul Ince, Steve McManaman and Dermott Gallagher on DAZN all agreed it was extremely harsh, and actually believed that the first foul was committed by Watkins.

i wouldn’t go that far, but a yellow and a foul would have been a fair call, and NOONE would have blinked an eyelid.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

There were two people running for the ball side by side.  Watkins put his arm across the defender first pulling on his left arm to gain traction.   The defender tried pulled his arm then moved onto his chest.  This was not a clear goal scoring opportunity.  

im sure you’ll disagree, and you will provide your reasons.  But Paul Ince, Steve McManaman and Dermott Gallagher on DAZN all agreed it was extremely harsh, and actually believed that the first foul was committed by Watkins.

i wouldn’t go that far, but a yellow and a foul would have been a fair call, and NOONE would have blinked an eyelid.

Side by side? Behave. Watkins spots the long ball before Egan and is quicker off the mark. He's half a yard in front when the wrestling starts, and would have been on to the ball for a clear goal-scoring opportunity if he hadn't been held back by both an arm across and Egan having a handful of his shirt, both from behind. Ollie's arm  doesn't come out until after Egan takes a hold of his shirt. What's he supposed to do? He has two options there - either he stays on his feet and tries to fend off Egan so he can get to the ball, or he chooses to go down. He's chosen the high road but was clearly fouled, preventing him from reaching the ball.

It's preventing a clear goal-scoring opportunity, so it's a red.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, smg said:

Had a few beers and can’t decide if you are serious or taking the piss. One of the poorest sides, based on what their position in the league last season? , wrong, or because their surnames don’t read like a whose who of the world ? Yes we played 78 minutes against 10 men but they were one of the best defensive teams last season so of course they can defend well with 10 men it’s probably what they do most of the time. At the end of the game we won, got 3 points, it wasn’t brilliant but we are not at that level yet, we will perform better in the future and yes it will be against decent teams with 11men.

Sorry but I don't accept mediocrity, maybe you do. When we play well I will say so and when we play shit I will say so. Sheffield Utd are a workmanlike team but they have no class and will struggle this season. Not one of their players would walk into our team.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ, Wilder complaining so much you'd think they hadn't been awarded that penalty. Doesn't seem to understand the double jeopardy rule about red cards and peno's either. Crazy amount of complaining.

Ok so, er... Why did Chris Whinger get nine minutes of Sky interview time and Dean Smith only two??? Ffs how is rugby tackling a player, in a game of football, not rugby, who would otherwise have had a great goalscoring opportunity not a foul?!

• Like 1

An ugly win but one we frequently wouldn’t have managed to close out in previous years. No easy feat to break down an entrenched Sheffield Utd with 10 men behind the ball. For sure we weren’t at our peak but it is the first game of the season with 3 new players bedding in, give it time. Great performance for the 3 new boys and Keinen looked useful again off the bench. I think he’ll be an important player for us this year off the bench and like a new signing if he stays fit.

• Like 1

I mean, how exactly is that fair and within the rules, grabbing Watkins' shoulder in one hand and his shirt in the other and keeping hold of them firmly, and in doing so preventing a goal scoring opportunity? It was a football match, not judo! If you want to do judo moves then quit football and go and be a professional judo player. 

Edited by robby b

14 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Sorry but I don't accept mediocrity, maybe you do. When we play well I will say so and when we play shit I will say so. Sheffield Utd are a workmanlike team but they have no class and will struggle this season. Not one of their players would walk into our team.

It’s not about accepting mediocrity ,currently we are a mediocre team , two seasons ago we were 5th in the championship, last season we were the worst team not to get relegated it takes time time to build an established premier league squad and therefore there will be more shit performances than good ones merely stating the obvious is not productive in my opinion. Unfortunately I think you are going to be an angry ‘fan’ for a few more months to come. While I will watch my mediocre squad develop over time into the successful group of players that we all want to follow.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

If it’s a foul it’s a red card. 

But then by that logic so should Targett’s have been, I know which one of the two I’d say was a more clear cut goal scoring opportunity.

Unless they’re going with targetts being accidental and Egan’s being deliberate but who knows how it works these days, I think as refereeing has always been a lot of it is ‘finger in the air’ stuff.

11 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But then by that logic so should Targett’s have been, I know which one of the two I’d say was a more clear cut goal scoring opportunity.

Unless they’re going with targetts being accidental and Egan’s being deliberate but who knows how it works these days, I think as refereeing has always been a lot of it is ‘finger in the air’ stuff.

I think Targett's foul looks like it could have been accidental whereas Egan's is the complete opposite of accidental. ('Oops I seem to have grabbed your shirt in one hand and a shoulder in the other hand and I'm not letting go, for ages, accidentally').

Edited by robby b
  • Like 3

Today was Sheffield’s 2nd league game, so they were always going to be more match sharp than us. Only a few of our players ran out at Burton, so for most this was their first competitive game of the season.

It wasn’t pretty, but we got the job done against a well drilled and capable defence. We’ll certainly improve markedly as the players get more first team minutes, and we add more players in the next few weeks. 

I’m sorry, but regardless of the manner of victory, I can’t lay into a Villa side that got the 3 points in our first game against seasoned opposition. Don’t we say that getting results when playing badly is a mark of a good side?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Targett’s wasn’t a red because of the double jeopardy rule that came in in 2016, though no doubt you are correct a lot of refereeing is finger in the air.

Â