Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

They are a defensive unit at the best of times, let alone when they went down to 10 men and then turned into Sheffield Buspark. We were pretty slow in our build up and they werent really getting stretched until near the end when they decided to be a little adventurous. Such a relief to get the goal when we did.

A lot of teams probably would struggle in a similar scenario, except Steve Bruce’s Newcastle, who did have the exact same scenario at the back end of last season. Egan was sent off early, Newcastle went on to win 3-0 🤐

• Like 2

That was a solid display very happy with the 3 points, great debut's for Martínez and Cash both played well, hope to see Traoré soon as Trez was gash as usual. Targett is very poor defensively better teams will tear him to bits same as last season. Decent enough debut from Watkins such an improvement on Wesley and Samatta. Wasn't sure about the tippy tappy play it out from the back at times could come unstuck doing that to often. Jack is awesome our best player but can frustrate at times dwelling on the ball for to long there are times he could definately release it earlier.

Bring on Fulham would be so good to start with 2 wins on the bounce.

6 hours ago, The Rosk said:

It's the first real game of a brand new season.  Burton (A) doesn't count, particularly as it had half the team.  Sheff Utd already had their first PL game, so had a pretty decent advantage.  We got three points.  Looked comfortable, if not immediately threatening.  

We would have absolutely ripped arms off for this last year. 

it would have ended 1-1 last season.

To beat them after them losing to Wolves was very commendable by us, no matter how hard we made it.

Their main attribute is resillience and combative spirit, we stood up well to the physicality, another redeeming feature for me.....they really didn't want to lose 2 on the bounce and it showed.

That was a good result for us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's probably too late in the day to get any responses to my thoughts but I have to say that I enjoyed our win yesterday. Three points from our first match are priceless for our aim of surviving more comfortably this season.

I'm not blind or daft, we didn't play well last night, but due to the SU sending off and Martinez's superb save we won.

The reason why I've waited so long to comment is down to the fact that when I went to bed last night I read all 42 pages of the "match day" thread as I've always done for many years.

I love being a part of the Villa Talk family. but what I read last night upset me. Some of the hate and downright nastiness has no place on this forum.

Football is a game lads, Villa may not be the best at it but they're our team. The abuse that I read last night was sad and ridiculous. We're Villa fans guys, let's start behaving like it rather than spewing out bile and insults. We can make our points without repeated expletives and  unpleasant player abuse!

We're bigger than that ..... We're better than that.

Let's make clicking on to the Villa Talk match day experience a decent experience again.

Nice post mate, I tend to stay out of the MT.

I just read and post afterwards in Ratings & Reactions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

Is it just me or are were Sheffield United incredibly dirty? Even before their sending off they just seemed quite thuggish.

It’s how they play. Zero flair and creativity. Just a very physical organised unit with a dirty side to their game that seems to go unnoticed. 

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's probably too late in the day to get any responses to my thoughts but I have to say that I enjoyed our win yesterday. Three points from our first match are priceless for our aim of surviving more comfortably this season.

I'm not blind or daft, we didn't play well last night, but due to the SU sending off and Martinez's superb save we won.

The reason why I've waited so long to comment is down to the fact that when I went to bed last night I read all 42 pages of the "match day" thread as I've always done for many years.

I love being a part of the Villa Talk family. but what I read last night upset me. Some of the hate and downright nastiness has no place on this forum.

Football is a game lads, Villa may not be the best at it but they're our team. The abuse that I read last night was sad and ridiculous. We're Villa fans guys, let's start behaving like it rather than spewing out bile and insults. We can make our points without repeated expletives and  unpleasant player abuse!

Let's make clicking on to the Villa Talk match day experience a decent experience again.

I have no problem with constructive criticism, but vile abuse.......NO

It can't all be kippers and curtains every match and lets be fair, they were afraid of us.

We are WIP but i can now identify with bits of Progress i.e Mings back to his aerial best and Konsa showing what good progress he is making, Luiz showing more maturity and even Davis showing signs......those 3 are 22, young lads learning their craft.

I took away quite a few positives from that game......and the Result was magnificent, clean sheet and all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

They are a defensive unit at the best of times, let alone when they went down to 10 men and then turned into Sheffield Buspark. We were pretty slow in our build up and they werent really getting stretched until near the end when they decided to be a little adventurous. Such a relief to get the goal when we did.

A lot of teams probably would struggle in a similar scenario, except Steve Bruce’s Newcastle, who did have the exact same scenario at the back end of last season. Egan was sent off early, Newcastle went on to win 3-0 🤐

To be fair by then they had nothing to play for. A point yesterday considering the circumstances would have been a massive result for them. 

46 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Serious question, was there any contact between there player and target for the pen?

Only seen highlights and they dont zoom in, looked like a dive on tbe highlights 

It was very contentious to say the least......even if he did, it was a soft one.

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I’ve learnt to avoid the Match Thread like the plague. The emotion of games seems to bring the worst out in people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s how they play. Zero flair and creativity. Just a very physical organised unit with a dirty side to their game that seems to go unnoticed. 

but a while back that would have us hiding in a hole......we stood up to them.

big,big, plus for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

but a while back that would have us hiding in a hole......we stood up to them.

big,big, plus for me.

I agree and the majority of fans see a lot of positives from the game. Last season we would have got a point.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Serious question, was there any contact between there player and target for the pen?

Only seen highlights and they dont zoom in, looked like a dive on tbe highlights 

They showed it a couple of times live during VAR checking and it did look like a penalty. Soft, but from one angle in particular you could see Targett caught the players trailing leg... but it was soft and the attacker made the most of it. I do agree it was a penalty though. 

• Like 1

Quick summary.

Martinez looks like a great buy. I was very impressed with Cash too. I thought we looked the more likely at 11 vs 11.

Definite red card for Egan, regardless of Wilder, Carragher and co trying to find fault with it. It was a foul that went on for a full 3 seconds. Egan was the last man. Had he not been fouling Watkins, it would have been a clear, goal scoring opportunity, denied.

I could see the Sheffield chance coming a few seconds before Targett fouled in the box. Penalty and a yellow card. Justice served. Sheffield had their chance, and Martinez saved it. Tough cheese Mr Wilder. Suck the mop... and wring your hands... again.

For the rest of the game at 11 vs 10, I thought we had some great possession, but didn't try enough different ways to crack the egg. A nervy 1-0 win was the result.

We still need signings - not enough on the bench to come on and change a game, especially against even better opposition. I'm starting to wonder if we need to buy a better replacement for McGinn, as much as that feels like heresy to say. He just doesn't seem the same player... I love you John, but something isn't right with you.

Very happy with the winning start. Let's hope it's a portent of 1995/96 (!!) rather than 2015/16 in terms of how the season plays out.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

They showed it a couple of times live during VAR checking and it did look like a penalty. Soft, but from one angle in particular you could see Targett caught the players trailing leg... but it was soft and the attacker made the most of it. I do agree it was a penalty though. 

The thing is that at that speed a soft touch can be more than enough to make you fall over. I found it hard to see if he touched him or not untill that last (?) angle in front of the two. That to me looked like he absolutely touched him enough.

• Like 1

The rules are if it’s intentional foul to prevent a goal scoring chance then it’s a red. But it’s hard to be certain he would have got to the ball which is why there wouldnt be too many complaints if it was a yellow.

The Targett one was a yellow because it was an error rather than an intentional foul.

I think the key is in the wording, the offence is denying a goal scoring ‘opportunity’ ... it isn’t denying a goal, it’s an opportunity that has been denied through foul play. I would say it is a red card by the letter of the law, if Egan plays fairly and doesn’t pull back Watkins then there is a goal scoring ‘opportunity’ there. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the key is in the wording, the offence is denying a goal scoring ‘opportunity’ ... it isn’t denying a goal, it’s an opportunity that has been denied through foul play. I would say it is a red card by the letter of the law, if Egan plays fairly and doesn’t pull back Watkins then there is a goal scoring ‘opportunity’ there. 

That is true. It was a calculated attempt to ensure he wasn’t through on goal so on that basis he had to go.

• Like 1

Â