Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

Match Polls  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

55 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Fully agree with you. 

I was very disappointed with the whole game, You are not wrong with your assessment of Watkins, Worked hard but he was only fed a few scraps all night long tonight, so not a lot to work with, he's been used to balls being whipped in from the left and right that he can do something with, I was very surprised that I saw non of that tonight, hopefully DS can work on that and put that right quickly so as to bring the best out of him to score, let's just hope, as you say he doesn't get destroyed through lack of good football.  

I think that's the PL right there, it's tighter and more competitive and you wont get as many goal scoring opportunities as in the Championship. We created 18 chances, which isn't bad.

I thought Watkins looked really good, some good hold up play and some trickery, very close to scoring with that curler, got into good positions, but had a bunch of strong defenders around him all game. Very happy with this signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

78 minutes against one of the poorest sides with 10 men we should have had a hatfull! Absolute garbage. God help us against a decent team with 11 men!

Had a few beers and can’t decide if you are serious or taking the piss. One of the poorest sides, based on what their position in the league last season? , wrong, or because their surnames don’t read like a whose who of the world ? Yes we played 78 minutes against 10 men but they were one of the best defensive teams last season so of course they can defend well with 10 men it’s probably what they do most of the time. At the end of the game we won, got 3 points, it wasn’t brilliant but we are not at that level yet, we will perform better in the future and yes it will be against decent teams with 11men.

The good thing was that we never looked in trouble or like losing the game although the red card contributed to that. Defence looked very good, Cash and particularly Martínez two great debuts.

The negative side would be the usual pedestrian attacking game but I realise that we’ve started to do something about this and I’m hoping we continue to do so. Three pronged attack needs much more pace than we had tonight.

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Chris Wilder reminds me of that one friend we all have who has opinions that some might find objectionable, but manages to fly under the radar because he phrases everything in such an overly amiable way. You can't sit there and criticize multiple referees over multiple games and say "I think they all know I respect them and I'm well liked in the game [so I can now slate them all with inpunity]..."

What a bollocks and disingenuous way to present your view. If you think they've been crap and disagree with them, have some balls and just say it without the slightly sycophantic arse-covering.

Also, if he's confused about the red card tonight, someone needs to send him a rule book. Egan gave the ref no choice. He was the last defender, had a handful of Ollie's shirt and an arm around him too. If he'd gone to ground nobody could have had any complaints but because he didn't there's some sort of question over it. Credit to Watkins for not making a meal of it, frankly - all he wanted was the ball.

I only read the first three lines but I definitely agree

• Haha 1

A win’s a win but I’d just like us to pull the trigger a bit more often in and around the box. I know they were hard to break down but there were a few opportunities to take a shot but people (e.g. Jack, DL) would cut back and look for a pass into the box rather than having a dig. 

Anyway, 3 points and positive goal difference, can’t ask for much more from the first game. 

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought we were fairly poor and the same poor performers performed... poorly. 

We need a defensive midfielder alongside Luiz to replace Hourihane and we need a left winger. Not convinced by Targett either. 

2/3 more signings and we will be fine but make no mistake; that side without Grealish and Luiz is relegation fodder. 

Massive 3 points. 

Why do we need two defensive midfielders ? Surely Luiz is enough, we lack attacking guile anyway at the moment, if you want to get rid of Hourihane surely an attack minded, creative midfielder is the obvious choice ? 

• Like 1

Well done Villa. A lot of negativity on here but it was our first match of the season and we started really well but as soon as they had a player sent off they just sat back and made it really hard for us with their well drilled defence. People say we only managed 2 shots on target but we also had a couple just wide of the post from Grealish and one skim the bar from Watkins. I thought Grealish wasn’t quite up to his usual high standardS but it always takes him a few games to get purring. 
Trez, Mcginn and Targett were poor and Cash, Konsa and Martinez were great.

Â