Mark Delaney

sidcow

5 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

In a match at Craven Cottage against Fulham (the year escapes me), Carlos Bocanegra took out Delaney with one of the most disgraceful challenges I’d seen.

2004; I remember its was at Loftus Road (now renamed the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium, a rename with a good cause to support) and O’Leary went bonkers after the tackle. To be fair to the ref Bocanegra was red carded.  

• Like 1

In a match at Craven Cottage against Fulham (the year escapes me), Carlos Bocanegra took out Delaney with one of the most disgraceful challenges I’d seen.

Apologies for the multiple posts😬

Edited by PauloBarnesi

Apologies for the multiple posts😬

Edited by PauloBarnesi

28 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

2004; I remember its was at Loftus Road (now renamed the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium, a rename with a good cause to support) and O’Leary went bonkers after the tackle. To be fair to the ref Bocanegra was red carded.  

Your memory is better than mine! Isn't it funny: in my mind, I'd convinced myself that CB was barely booked for that challenge. The Villa persecution complex kicking in...

Loved watching him at RB but, strangely, the time I most remember him for was managing to get fit around the Christmas period in the GT2 season and coming in at centre back. We went on a pretty decent run of form which coincided with Mark being fit and, eventually, was the difference in us staying up that season. 

Delaney was great at 2 things, slide tackles where his leg would go full on Inspector Gadget and stretch incredible, vast distances to nip the ball away but that's already been mentioned.

The other thing he was great at, was once every game, just collecting the ball in space at RB and going for an amazing run, just jinking past players (most of the time) and getting a decent opportunity on the back of it.  My brother and I used to say "Oh, Mark's going walkies again" and no sooner had he left a trail of bamboozled opponents in his wake, than someone like Carlton Cole smashed an easy chance into row Z before Mark calmly trotted back to RB. 

He was cool as **** for a gangly Welsh dude with a goofy appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, picicata said:

Loved watching him at RB but, strangely, the time I most remember him for was managing to get fit around the Christmas period in the GT2 season and coming in at centre back. We went on a pretty decent run of form which coincided with Mark being fit and, eventually, was the difference in us staying up that season. 

That was his last season under O'Leary, he even scored vs Everton and club wouldnt give him a new deal which he was begging for

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

That was his last season under O'Leary, he even scored vs Everton and club wouldnt give him a new deal which he was begging for

You're right! As I typed my post I thought 'or was that under O'Leary?' Which got me thinking of O'Leary. Which upset me.

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Loved him as a player. Very underrated. Looks like he's doing a great job now too.

Nah - he wasn't up to much tbf. Agree with the second part, though - I think he's a better coach than he was a player. 

Â