Mark Delaney

sidcow

25 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Always remembered him as a really good reliable right back for us under Gregory. From the mid 90s onwards I'm trying to remember the alternatives. 

Don't think he's been mentioned yet.

Gary Charles.

IIRC, Delaney was signed as his replacement but I could be wrong on that one.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Don't think he's been mentioned yet.

Gary Charles.

IIRC, Delaney was signed as his replacement but I could be wrong on that one.

I think you’re right and a quick google reveals that Gary Charles left in 1999 and Mark Delaney joined us in the same year. So that pretty much confirms you’re right. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re right and a quick google reveals that Gary Charles left in 1999 and Mark Delaney joined us in the same year. So that pretty much confirms you’re right. 

Delaney was very reliable and consistent from what I remember and had a good cross into the box. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We signed Nelson (after Charles broke his leg I think?) then Watson to replace Charles but both were fairly rubbish so Delaney was plucked from relative obscurity. Best of the bunch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slowandlow said:

We signed Nelson (after Charles broke his leg I think?) then Watson to replace Charles but both were fairly rubbish so Delaney was plucked from relative obscurity. Best of the bunch.

Yes you're correct, Fernando Nelson arrived and Steve Watson was signed 6 months before Mark arrived.

It appears that we saved the best til last.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Doesn't seem like an area of the club that has been holding us back, that's a very surprising move, but I guess we'll see who comes in. Are we're kicking out long-term Villa men doing a good job, to replace them with Gerrard's staff?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Doesn't seem like an area of the club that has been holding us back

Quite the opposite. Brilliant in his playing days for us and doing a quietly brilliant job in this role. Baffling.

5 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Disappointing at first, but when you actually look at it objectively, the U23s have been poor this season, and they have been doing worse year on year for the past 5 or so years, despite the strong performances in the U18s.

I know this is a decision that reinforces some of the narratives on here, but as much as I like Delaney and he's liked by the fans, it does look like a deserved move.

Nearly all of the available under 23 starting players are out on loan. If was a trophy we were aiming to win then why loan out the players 

In a week when the club have already hurt the fans its another dagger between fans and off pitch management

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Nearly all of the available under 23 starting players are out on loan. If was a trophy we were aiming to win then why loan out the players 

In a week when the club have already hurt the fans its another dagger between fans and off pitch management

Every U23 manager has to deal with that. It's not aiming to win a trophy, just not doing worse every season for 5 straight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Quick. Who's a big name we can put on double Mark's salary.

Maybe we could steal Javier Mascherano from the Argentina U-20's :D 

Â