Mark Delaney

sidcow

If looking for someone with a Liverpool connection then I wouldn't be surprised to see Sean O'Driscoll come in, would have worked with Gerrard previously, and has recently worked at academy level as a coach at Wolves. That said knowing our academy the replacement is probably more likely going to be someone that has worked for West Brom previously.

Fair enough.

I have no clue of what the KPIs and targets a U23 coach has and whether or not he met them. Even watching the U23s games hard to gauge due to the extenuating circumstances of player turnover/loans etc. 

Being a ex Villa player doesn't come into it when the owners are ploughing money into the youth setup the way they are. Its that kind of mentality that still holds a lot of clubs back imo. If they can get better, get rid.

• Like 1

Disappointing.

I was thinking Mark could be being developed as a future manager for us given he's been here a few years now and considering the circumstances he produced a very capable performance in FA cup last season with the under 12s v Liverpool.

George Boateng was going on about enjoying working with him in an interview two weeks ago so with those two and Jedinak it's nice having guys at the club who know what it's like to play for us and can instill that in the next generation.

Perhaps he's decided to move on and try his hand at management somewhere but disappointing if this is a decision from above. Gerrard's acting like he's been here five years already.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In a week when the club have already hurt the fans its another dagger between fans and off pitch management

What’s this about? I don’t read on topic much.

And to keep this on topic, pretty hard to judge if Delaney has been doing a good job or not. We could probably have got the U23s promoted if we kept eligible players around and padded it out with overage squad members, but we loan out our youth and general play a side averaging 18 years old.

53 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Disappointing at first, but when you actually look at it objectively, the U23s have been poor this season, and they have been doing worse year on year for the past 5 or so years, despite the strong performances in the U18s.

I know this is a decision that reinforces some of the narratives on here, but as much as I like Delaney and he's liked by the fans, it does look like a deserved move.

All the best talent gets loaned out. Maybe the club should look higher above because the amount of dud loans this past 2 years is a joke

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

All the best talent gets loaned out. Maybe the club should look higher above because the amount of dud loans this past 2 years is a joke

We changed loan management last year. 

"Aston Villa have appointed Adam Henshall as the club’s new Head of Emerging Talents & Loans and Mile Jedinak as our new Loan Player Development Coach." 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/march/Villa-appoint-new-Head-of-Emerging-Talents-Loans/

Our loans seem to have gone better this season with the likes of Archer and Davies doing well and then reacting to bad situations like Barry and Ipswich. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on as coach, maybe even at first team level, earlier this season we promoted Liam Bramley from U18 head coach to a role where he was working with the youngsters in our first team squad, but then we lost him to Norwich, I wouldn't be surprised if Delaney is going to be offered that role.

Last time I looked at an U23 game we had a bunch of 16 year olds in the side. All our best young players have been loaned out, so can’t expect too much results wise from the U23s.

Maybe Delaney is seen as decent but not exceptional, and we want to push higher. It’s hard to judge from the outside. If we bring in an ex-Gerrard or Purslow connection I’ll be sceptical though 

Edited by david-avfc

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Predictable. I don't think he will be the last to jump ship.

Sorry but its a seriously bad move IMO.

Stevie G is dismantling our infrastructure - and his authority seems unchecked.

I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t a Mark Harrison decision,  what’s the point of having all these people as head of departments otherwise?  Your irrational hatred of Gerrard is clouding your judgment. Edit and yes I’m gutted to see Mark Delaney leave, but the head of youth development  hasn’t got anything wrong yet. 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Haha 1

I very much doubt Stevie G has any input into who runs the U23's other than soft influence by things like complaining that the players he see's seem badly coached. 

The "moving on" thing sounds more like he's being moved within the club to me? 

Sometimes things just get stale and need a little change.  It would be strange to have 1 person in the same coaching role for 30 years or something. 

Edited by sidcow

I assume the priority is to produce players ready to fit the system the first team uses and as we are going towards Gerrard's favoured nipple system we are looking at getting in a manager/coach more in tune with that rather than Dean's 4-3-3 he mainly used before this season.  It may just be that Delaney has reached the end of his shelf life and there genuinely are better coaches out there.  I hope he stays in some capacity though.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t a Mark Harrison decision,  what’s the point of having all these people as head of departments otherwise?  Your irrational hatred of Gerrard is clouding your judgment. Edit and yes I’m gutted to see Mark Delaney leave, but the head of youth development  hasn’t got anything wrong yet. 

The timing of it would suggest to me that Delaney resigned.

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Predictable. I don't think he will be the last to jump ship.

Sorry but its a seriously bad move IMO.

Stevie G is dismantling our infrastructure - and his authority seems unchecked.

Based on what? More BS in your own mind?

I doubt Gerrard has had anything to do with this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â