Mark Delaney

sidcow

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Disagree. Was a excellent signing for us and really unlucky with the injuries. His time at Villa was a period in which we often came top 6 or abouts.

Seems to know his onions as a coach.

I think he's looking very capable as a coach - don't agree about him as a player, though but that's not important right now tbf. 

He's very, very good at this. He's got the right balance between being liked and respected by the players, he cares about them, he makes good football decisions and good people decisions. He's just about the only youth or academy person that has survived from the previous regime since NSWE took over - there are very good reasons for that.

Bravo MD.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think he's looking very capable as a coach - don't agree about him as a player, though but that's not important right now tbf. 

Can you name a better right back since 🤔

• Like 4

I tjink Delaney is like his playing personalty, calm and not looking for attention and pays off on the players. Comprared to his opponent tonight. Delaney and Smith are so alike its good for the club 

On 08/01/2021 at 23:46, lexicon said:

Nah - he wasn't up to much tbf. Agree with the second part, though - I think he's a better coach than he was a player. 

I thought he was a really solid and dependable player personally. Never let the team down and just got on with his job with minimal fuss. I'm not sure we've had many better right backs since. Sadly his later years were ruined by injury after this horrific tackle from Carlos Bocanegra...

mark-delaney-of-aston-villa-is-tackled-b

• Like 1

RB has been one of our weakest areas consistently for many years, I don't think there's been anyone better than Delaney. Hopefully Cash gets there.

Who else have we had...De La Cruz, Mellberg, who was a wonderful CB, but not so hot at RB. Cuellar, again, not the best at RB. Lowton. Hutton. Bacuna. Elmo, Guillbert

No competition at all. Delaney wasn't a particularly great player, but he was solid and reliable, and we've certainly had nobody better in that position since. You'd struggle to pick out another position and have such a consistently poor set of options IMO.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I thought he was a really solid and dependable player personally. Never let the team down and just got on with his job with minimal fuss. I'm not sure we've had many better right backs since. Sadly his later years were ruined by injury after this horrific tackle from Carlos Bocanegra...

mark-delaney-of-aston-villa-is-tackled-b

That's pure filth, two feet, jumped into it, nowhere near the ball, the lot. Criminal.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

RB has been one of our weakest areas consistently for many years, I don't think there's been anyone better than Delaney. Hopefully Cash gets there.

Who else have we had...De La Cruz, Mellberg, who was a wonderful CB, but not so hot at RB. Cuellar, again, not the best at RB. Lowton. Hutton. Bacuna. Elmo, Guillbert

No competition at all. Delaney wasn't a particularly great player, but he was solid and reliable, and we've certainly had nobody better in that position since. You'd struggle to pick out another position and have such a consistently poor set of options IMO.

What about Luke young ?  He one of my only high quality favourite right back after Delaney force retired due injury. problem with him often play left back indeed right back even he is right foot. That reason people forget about him, he is a Quality right back. I glad we have Cash now  

but your right we last time quality after young is nought. I was pin hope on gulibert that I saw Cash and he is desire to great right back wait n see if it is happening.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Reo Coker 😂

Luke Young was decent until clearing in the woods manager started moving him about

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Reo Coker 😂

Luke Young was decent until clearing in the woods manager started moving him about

Cuellar and Reo-Coker over Young 😱 is stupid I remembered I angry with him as shorey n warcock is good left back with Luke young as right back will very good full back overlap and cross in . Good balanced

martin O’Neill want cuellar for header threat in corner and defend header is part his games plan.. would’ve better if we play attack gabby would happy with this route with Luke right back we was look good this way until revert to back cuellar.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Reo Coker 😂

Luke Young was quality and my favourite since Delaney (Cash not being judged yet). Just a shame that idiot MON decided to play him at left back 🙄

• Like 1

Always remembered him as a really good reliable right back for us under Gregory. From the mid 90s onwards I'm trying to remember the alternatives. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aston_Villa_F.C._players

assuming that's accurate, growing up myself with villa from the mid 90s I don't quite remember earl barrett, but delaney was a stand out right back for us for me. A lot of centre backs or midfielders who ended up filling that spot with varying levels of inadequacy. 

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

It's despicable. Even worse when played in real time. Should be lifetime bans for tackles like that.

Was feeling angry just looking at it. Then I went and read the self-serving “apology” from Bocanegra at the time and it made me even madder. What a piece of work.

“I would like to say to Mark in public that I am sorry.”

"There was no intent whatsoever, I was going for the ball. I just hope Delaney will heal quickly."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/3482535.stm

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Reo Coker 😂

Ah the MON tactic of bringing on another midfielder for a RB and moving NRC back to cover. 

We had some great memories under MON but feck me, his tactics sometimes drove me up the wall. 

Â