Mark Delaney

sidcow

11 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Lolz. Let’s see where Delaney ends up, I highly doubt he’s going to end up in an equivalent role at an elite club. Club are being ruthless in their pursuit of progress and it’s great to see.

Wish Delaney the best but clearly the club have decided that we can do better. 

If we bring in someone with a track record of player development, it'll probably be a good move. I hope that's what happens and it isn't just someone Purslow likes.

• Confused 1

The club are also advertising for a new Head Coach for the U18s as well as for a regular Coach, so seems like the academy is having a little bit of a shake up at U18 and U23 level.

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Youth Football Management seems to be a tricky one doesn't it?

How do you gauge?

As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, all the best players go out on loan etc.

We seem to get very promising prospects from the system.

Are they judging purely on League placing or?

I don't understand it.

Imo you can only really judge on player development and that seems to be going quite well at the moment.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, useless said:

The club are also advertising for a new Head Coach for the U18s as well as for a regular Coach, so seems like the academy is having a little bit of a shake up at U18 and U23 level.

I swear someone posted about this being filled the other day. Unless I'm getting confused and the announcement was the incumbent leaving.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

2nd Villa man dumped by the club this season. It seems something the club are actively doing to become colder and to annoy fans along with increasing ticket prices 

If a Liverpool man comes in as replacement then i give up

Genius wum

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I swear someone posted about this being filled the other day. Unless I'm getting confused and the announcement was the incumbent leaving.

We've been linked with a guy "Roscoe" who was said to be joining villa from Liverpool  

Whether that's Delaney's replacement not sure. 

Edit - probably not.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/roscoe-leaves-liverpool-to-become-player-care-manager-at-aston-villa

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

Purslow appointed Mark Harrison our Head of Academy, the person probably most responsible for everything good about our academy at the moment, it will be him more so than Purslow who will be picking Delaney's replacement.

There's a chance it could be someone with a Liverpool or Rangers connection, but that stands to reason as having the U23s and U18s play a similar style to the first team is a common theme these days, so if we were to have someone managing the U23s that has worked with Gerrard previously or knows his methods then that would make sense.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If we bring in someone with a track record of player development, it'll probably be a good move. I hope that's what happens and it isn't just someone Purslow likes.

I would think he was brought in for his profile in the main and his ability to drive his staff on, he is a winner at heart......His ability to attract better quality players, by his profile, which modern days footballers seem to favour...is also important for a club not in European football.

SG brings in Coaches to do the coaching work.....thats what top managers in any field do, delegate.....So he can develop himself there, along the way.

SG is the face of our football and it gives us an identity with the Media, who are another important soul to satisfy, in modern football business.

Christian Purslow obviously knows the warts n' all of SG so he is bound to feel comfortable with a manager he knows the strengths and weaknesses of.

I think its too early to form any hard line opinions of his work, until he gets his own players in and has a pre-season together......even though, I am not happy with 14th place, or losing 18 games in a season.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

We've been linked with a guy "Roscoe" who was said to be joining villa from Liverpool  

Whether that's Delaney's replacement not sure. 

Edit - probably not.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/roscoe-leaves-liverpool-to-become-player-care-manager-at-aston-villa

Was he not a BRMB Dj, called himself the Emperor 

Edited by Follyfoot

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Lolz. Let’s see where Delaney ends up, I highly doubt he’s going to end up in an equivalent role at an elite club. Club are being ruthless in their pursuit of progress and it’s great to see.

Wish Delaney the best but clearly the club have decided that we can do better. 

Well he's clearly done a good job with the youths and I was very proud of the cup performance last season so I can see a lower club giving him a chance if he feels he's ready.

Pretty sure Rob Edwards was a youth team coach at Wolves, got the Forest Green job last summer and now got the gig at Watford so shows what can happen if you make the right move at the right time.

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Out of interest mods, why is ex-player ex-coach Mark Delaney in "other football" but ex-player Paul Mcgrath remains in the "Villa Talk" section?

Because McGrath is McGrath, to suggest his thread goes anywhere else aside from the "Villa Talk" section is blasphemous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LIam Bramley and Sean Verity were in charge of the U18 team that won the FA Youth Cup, Bramley now with Smith and Shakespeare at Norwich. There are so many people involved in our academy in different positions and roles that it's hard to know who plays what and how big of a role in the academy players' development, a lot of what Delaney does for example, such as team selections, tactics and so on, will be based to a large extent on instructions from others.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Purslow appointed Mark Harrison our Head of Academy, the person probably most responsible for everything good about our academy at the moment, it will be him more so than Purslow who will be picking Delaney's replacement.

There's a chance it could be someone with a Liverpool or Rangers connection, but that stands to reason as having the U23s and U18s play a similar style to the first team is a common theme these days, so if we were to have someone managing the U23s that has worked with Gerrard previously or knows his methods then that would make sense.

Yep, purslow strikes me as a guy who will put someone in place and they require them to do their job

This appointment should come down to Harrison and Lange not purslow and Gerrard 

Same as transfers I don't doubt its an open discussion and Gerrard can put a name forward but the club will do due diligence on him 

4 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Out of interest mods, why is ex-player ex-coach Mark Delaney in "other football" but ex-player Paul Mcgrath remains in the "Villa Talk" section?

Because he’s god and he exists everywhere 

12 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

God is omnipresent 

Â