Mark Delaney

sidcow

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I assume the priority is to produce players ready to fit the system the first team uses and as we are going towards Gerrard's favoured nipple system we are looking at getting in a manager/coach more in tune with that rather than Dean's 4-3-3 he mainly used before this season.  It may just be that Delaney has reached the end of his shelf life and there genuinely are better coaches out there.  I hope he stays in some capacity though.

of course thats the idea, but all our good young prospects are on loan, If we wanted to win the trophy we would have kept Barry, JPB, KKH, Davis, Archer for example

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's quietly devoted the majority of his life to the club when you think about it 

Loved him as a player as well!

Yeah so did I, and I didn't realise he'd been coaching with us since 2007!

Would love to see him get a go at a senior role somewhere.

No real mention of whether this is the club or Mark's decision.

We are perhaps going for incredibly qualified people in every role. Aside from first team manager of course :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/05/2022 at 11:34, VillaChris said:

Disappointing.

I was thinking Mark could be being developed as a future manager for us given he's been here a few years now and considering the circumstances he produced a very capable performance in FA cup last season with the under 12s v Liverpool.

George Boateng was going on about enjoying working with him in an interview two weeks ago so with those two and Jedinak it's nice having guys at the club who know what it's like to play for us and can instill that in the next generation.

Perhaps he's decided to move on and try his hand at management somewhere but disappointing if this is a decision from above. Gerrard's acting like he's been here five years already.

I have no idea, what has gone on, here, but nostalgia, doesn't play a part.

Steven Gerrard has been brought in, because the club is not positioned in a place where the owners want us to be......They put their money where there mouth is, so they are entitled to push for better.

We will know in due course, whether SG is the right man.....but in the meantime, he has to be allowed to do his job.

He was himself in charge of Liverpools youth teams, so I would hazard a guess, he knows whats required.

Sid Cowans experienced a similar fate, so ex pro's with close ties, don't always work out.

I can't say, its a good move or a bad move, but I will back the manager until I feel, that might not be right either.

• Like 1

Sorry to see Mark go. Given how well the young players are doing, I would have thought that it was a case of if it's not broken, don't fix it, unless he has been made an offer elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We are perhaps going for incredibly qualified people in every role. Aside from first team manager of course :)

Who would you have wanted?

2 minutes ago, John said:

Sorry to see Mark go. Given how well the young players are doing, I would have thought that it was a case of if it's not broken, don't fix it, unless he has been made an offer elsewhere. 

Problem is John.....We don't really know what goes on at B6.

We just draw on emotion.

• Like 1

2nd Villa man dumped by the club this season. It seems something the club are actively doing to become colder and to annoy fans along with increasing ticket prices 

If a Liverpool man comes in as replacement then i give up

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Youth Football Management seems to be a tricky one doesn't it?

How do you gauge?

As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, all the best players go out on loan etc.

We seem to get very promising prospects from the system.

Are they judging purely on League placing or?

I don't understand it.

• Like 1

Delaney is one of those guys that will always be welcome at Villa Park. By the fans at least.

A real good servant to this club and I hope he goes on to have some success wherever he goes next.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say we have no idea what's going on there, and it'll be interesting to see who comes in instead.

I'd have hoped that he'd have been offered another role around the club if they felt it was time to freshen up the academy, but, well, it's "just business" isn't it.

As for Delaney he can always be proud of his Villa career. Not to mention his one game in charge when giving Liverpool a scare while playing bunch of kids

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

On 07/05/2022 at 18:34, VillaChris said:

Disappointing.

I was thinking Mark could be being developed as a future manager for us given he's been here a few years now and considering the circumstances he produced a very capable performance in FA cup last season with the under 12s v Liverpool.

George Boateng was going on about enjoying working with him in an interview two weeks ago so with those two and Jedinak it's nice having guys at the club who know what it's like to play for us and can instill that in the next generation.

Perhaps he's decided to move on and try his hand at management somewhere but disappointing if this is a decision from above. Gerrard's acting like he's been here five years already.

Lolz. Let’s see where Delaney ends up, I highly doubt he’s going to end up in an equivalent role at an elite club. Club are being ruthless in their pursuit of progress and it’s great to see.

Wish Delaney the best but clearly the club have decided that we can do better. 

I hope he can land a managers job for a clubs first team. 

He was apart of the furniture pretty much, it’s sad to see him go. I would be curious if he was 'pushed' out or if he thinks he’s ready for the next stage of his managerial career.

I'd be surprised if he got a senior role unless it's at a relatively low level, and that would be the same for any manager that's only managed at U23 level, but I think there's a good chance he will get a job at another academy in a similar role, which from the interviews I've seen with him is what he prefers to the idea of being first team manager.

Â