Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Second best player we have at the club after Jack for me.

I think he's absolutely brilliant.  He's not taken a bad step yet.  

Assured to take the ball from defenders, good at passing, calming, tall, strong, collects crosses which are further than 1 yard either side of him, makes good decisions to go long/short with his passing, catches some difficult shots other keepers would spill, sets up defensive walls well, palms shots out of danger, often collects the rebounds and he even has swept up on the odd occasion.

Perfect.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 4

This guy. 😍

Tony Adams was talking about this, and said that Arteta made the wrong decision with regards to the keepers. Not sure if implying should have been their no1 or just shouldn’t have sold him.

4 hours ago, Thug said:

This guy. 😍

Tony Adams was talking about this, and said that Arteta made the wrong decision with regards to the keepers. Not sure if implying should have been their no1 or just shouldn’t have sold him.

Probably both but to be honest Leno is a very good keeper too.

Emi is making such a massive difference to our whole team. He is cool, calm and composed and gives the whole back line confidence. His shot stopping, decision making, ball handling and leadership qualities are plain to see. Add in his distribution and we’ve got a top class keeper.

There was one moment last night where he gathered the ball and tried to start the counter, a low and hard pass up to someone (Grealish maybe?), the Leicester player cut it out but if it had made it through we’d have been through on the counter. Having a goalie that can see counter attacking opportunities and have the ability to execute the pass, is massively valuable. 

He’s such a nice bloke too. One of my favourite players already.

i think he's giving us a calmness and organisation that you cant see on the highlight reels and maybe not fully understand until you've seen us play both with and without him, he's fit our team like a glove

its not the saves, catches , distribution etc its that he's made our defensive unit better, we're playing with a lot of confidence at the back, that's where the stuff like "better than leno" becomes near impossible to measure, his best skill might be his ability to talk to mings, how do you put that in to a stat?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's really hard to pick our your favourites of the summer transfers, but Emi certainly is up there. Superb. 

No I don’t think it is that difficult. He provides not only quality saves but provides some much needed confidence for the defence in front of him.

Without Emi I reckon we could easily be 6-9 points down. If he didn’t save that penalty we would have lost/drawn against Sheffield. He made a couple of early key saves against Liverpool, which if they had scored, Liverpool would have likely kicked on. Last night, whilst it was limited chances, good keepers never lose focus. If he didn’t make that deflected save (which given how late he saw it, was a good save) then Leicester would be the ones celebrating a close win in a very marginal game.

Whilst I am excited by all the signings, he has already made so many key contributions and it has only been 4 games. 

Edited by cyrusr
Clarity.
  • Like 1

The defence does seem to be so much more confident and it must have something to do with having Emi behind them. He is a giant between the sticks and he is so comfortable with all the back-passes. I hope he keeps up this standard of performance throughout his career with us. 

Â