Emiliano Martínez

hippo

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

In the absence of Jack in a game I could see him being captain.

It's a good shout although I'd imagine that honour would go to Mings.

One thing I've noticed watching the games without crowd noise is how much Mings talks and shouts during the game, really interesting. Also noticed some good-natured banter between him and Grealish against Fulham where Mings blasted the ball into the channel and he shouts to Grealish: "Go and get it, Jack" or words to that effect!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Not that worried about Heaton tbh. Great keeper, but he's getting on a bit and has just had a nasty injury. Might be too much to expect anything but being benched for a while. If he wants to leave in January at least we would recoup some money. 

I rate him mind. Great keeper and incredible depth to have. 

I think we have one of the best keepers in the league. I would say possibly only Allison and Ederson, and probably De Gea (just about) at better and then Emi. I think he’s better than Leno and Kepa. So glad he’s joined, and so glad he seems to be loving his time here. I think he’s going to be a Villan for many years to come too.

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we have one of the best keepers in the league. I would say possibly only Allison and Ederson, and probably De Gea (just about) at better and then Emi. I think he’s better than Leno and Kepa. So glad he’s joined, and so glad he seems to be loving his time here. I think he’s going to be a Villan for many years to come too.

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?

DDG isn't even the best keeper at United IMO.

Leno and Alisson seem to be the best all round keepers from last season, EM is right up there with them.

• Like 3

The thing I noticed in the Leicester game that we didnt have to rely on Emi too much BUT the defense does seem more relaxed and playing with freedom.

It is as if they dont have to protect a dodgy Keeper :)

Utd have left Romero out of their squad following the registration period. Out priced themselves over the summer and now dropped him completely. Love to see it. 

So glad they did as EMI is amazing. He’ll be ARG number 1 next round of games

• Like 1

The guy is class. I guess you could say this about all players, but i sense the bloke is the sort of character that would even grow a couple more inches in front of 40k fans singing his name.

Like Watkins, Cash, Traore, and Barkley, I can't wait to get to villa park and show these guys some love.

Probably two sentences and that warrant a Kenneth Williams gif..

Edited by av1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Utd have left Romero out of their squad following the registration period. Out priced themselves over the summer and now dropped him completely. Love to see it. 

So glad they did as EMI is amazing. He’ll be ARG number 1 next round of games

There's theory that we were never in for him and Emi full name has Romero at the end so someone ran with Romero from Manure rumour

The more clean sheets he has the better his hopes of being Argentina's number one. It is absolutely in his best interests to be at the top of his game and it is so great to see him in goal for us. What a difference it makes in comparison to when we went down and had to endure Mark Bunn between the sticks. 

On 20/10/2020 at 10:23, villalad21 said:

My main beef with Heaton is his constant hoofing.

Emi is as good if not a better shot stopper. He is good catching crosses and set pieces and also is superior with his feet.

Just overall a better keeper.

Played alot o futsal when he was young makes a heck of a difference for these keepers 

Tbh I think we are blessed to have both martinez and heaton (when fit).

I would be happy to have them both fit and pushing each other, but currently I would select a fit martinez over a fit heaton.

If heaton gets back to fitness and wants to leave in jan (due to not being no1), I would wish him the best of luck and be fairly happy with steer and kalinic as backup.

However if heaton wanted to stay - and be ok with possibly being a no2 (and we could afford to keep two no1's and their wages), would be very happy to keep heaton.

Tbh when heaton is fit, and if martinez continues performing as he is, the GK position is probably our strongest in terms of depth.

Been a long time since we considered the GK position a strength for us, in a consistent way.

Edited by MaVilla

I really wish people stopped using clean sheets to determine a keeper's worth. A keeper can play brilliantly and concede 3 goals, none of which he could possibly have saved, just like he might keep a clean sheet without having a single save to make. 

We really ought to use different stats, such as saves/xg, mistakes per game, ecc. None are perfect, but all are better than clean sheets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given his ridiculously high standards already I was a little disappointed he parried for first goal straight into Bamford's path.

No chance with the other two and good claiming from crosses again.

Can't really see Heaton getting a sniff in league if Martinez avoids the seasons ending injury curse of recent seasons. Will have to make do with FA cup games.

On 24/10/2020 at 00:18, VillaChris said:

Given his ridiculously high standards already I was a little disappointed he parried for first goal straight into Bamford's path.

Can't really see Heaton getting a sniff in league if Martinez avoids the seasons ending injury curse of recent seasons. Will have to make do with FA cup games.

I don't think there's much he can do with that first goal to be honest. I think it would be very harsh to suggest he could have done much better there

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 00:18, VillaChris said:

I think that was as much as us not covering the keeper or shadowing our man.

Â