Emiliano Martínez

hippo

On 23/10/2020 at 23:44, WooJung said:

I really wish people stopped using clean sheets to determine a keeper's worth. A keeper can play brilliantly and concede 3 goals, none of which he could possibly have saved, just like he might keep a clean sheet without having a single save to make. 

We really ought to use different stats, such as saves/xg, mistakes per game, ecc. None are perfect, but all are better than clean sheets. 

I think if you are talking one game, you have a good point......over a large period of the season clean sheets are a good indicator of a Goal keepers worth.

I think clean sheets are a good indicator of many things being done right and a futher indicator of the Strength of a team.....I don't think you can under estimate it.

18 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Unlucky today nothing he could have done about any of those goals. Maybe for the one that was disallowed he misread it and thought it was going wide so he could have saved it but no harm no foul. 

I felt his positioning was poor for the 3rd goal. He was just inviting Ward-Prowse to put it exactly where he did. Other than that he had no chance with the other 3 goals.

I'm thinking that, if I'm a keeper and a player puts one in the top corner from a central position, I'm going to put someone on the other post next time so I've more chance of reaching it if he does it again. Second time, Emi didn't even move. It was poor, sorry. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I'm thinking that, if I'm a keeper and a player puts one in the top corner from a central position, I'm going to put someone on the other post next time so I've more chance of reaching it if he does it again. Second time, Emi didn't even move. It was poor, sorry. 

That isn’t a good tactic when you are facing a direct free kick centrally for so many reasons not least you are defending deeper allowing more attacking players in the zone and then more options of a set play.  Just crazy to do what you are suggesting hence why it’s generally never done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

He had a player protecting the post. Unfortunately, said player had his feet nailed to the ground.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That isn’t a good tactic when you are facing a direct free kick centrally for so many reasons not least you are defending deeper allowing more attacking players in the zone and then more options of a set play.  Just crazy to do what you are suggesting hence why it’s generally never done.

Did you see how they had 2 players to the right of our "wall"? Easiest pass ever to make but he backed his quality to shoot at goal and it paid off.

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Did you see how they had 2 players to the right of our "wall"? Easiest pass ever to make but he backed his quality to shoot at goal and it paid off.

Yeah and putting one of ours on the post meant more opposition could occupy that area.  When defending you are trying to reduce the chance of scoring.  The method you suggest would offer more options to score.  He scored a worldie, it’s one of those things.  How many times do you see those hit the wall, over the bar etc.  he scored two today...hard to legislate that’s normal because it’s not.  You can’t argue increasing their chances to score by your method would’ve helped.

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Mings

And when it deflects off his head and goes in he gets all the blame there as well. Had he jumped he may have stopped the goal or it may have still gone over him or it may gone into the back of the net anyway. Who knows, lets just leave it. 

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

And when it deflects off his head and goes in he gets all the blame there as well. Had he jumped he may have stopped the goal or it may have still gone over him or it may gone into the back of the net anyway. Who knows, lets just leave it. 

I don't blame him for it, I just answered the question. Didn't think Mings had his best game, but also not his worst.

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

As a keeper I never wanted my wall to jump. If someone puts it over the top and under the bar fair play, if they put it under the wall its much harder to save and have you ever seen a wall in real life? They're pretty static most of the time 

12 minutes ago, weedman said:

As a keeper I never wanted my wall to jump. If someone puts it over the top and under the bar fair play, if they put it under the wall its much harder to save and have you ever seen a wall in real life? They're pretty static most of the time 

Yeah. Unless the ball hits in the midsection of the players it generally either ends up in the back of the net or out for a corner which they had already scored from (altough disallowed)

21 hours ago, Villarocker said:

This is why you're not a keeper

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Martinez not at fault for anything. Ward Prowse just too good. Maybe the wall could have jumped for the second. 

Only thing I might blame him for is the wall in the second free kick. He had no chance of getting to the goal, but I think the wall was poor so if he's responsible for that then he may share some of the blame.

But they're basically 4 great goals from Southampton yesterday. even the header was an absolute bullet.

Hard to apportion any blame to Martinez for those

Â