Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The guy is not just amazing in football terms, he’s inspirational in life. 6 years ago he had spent 10 years as a reserve keeper and loaned out from club to club. Yet he tweeted my time will come.

You always have to believe.

A true inspiration. If only people knew his back story and journey. 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I’m pissed off he’s suspended for the 1st leg. The ref was an idiot and now he can’t play because he asked for a ball?

There has to be some way to remonstrate

Nah he got the second yellow for gesturing a calm down straight after the ref told him not to engage with fans.  The time wasting yellow was stupid though.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I’m pissed off he’s suspended for the 1st leg. The ref was an idiot and now he can’t play because he asked for a ball?

There has to be some way to remonstrate

Sounds like we are going to try and reverse it based on Emery’s interview today.

Emery said

“It’s not exactly 100 per cent he’s not going to be for the next round, available to play.

“In the beginning I think it’s not, but we are in conversations with UEFA about it.

“And, of course, it was a little bit strange because it’s not usual.”

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/april/19/the-presser--emery-looks-ahead-to-bournemouth/

• Like 2

Bumped into a Gunner mate last night, hadn’t seen him for ages. I said if you had Emi, you would’ve already had the title won. He nodded and said, ‘Yeah we shouldn’t have let him go’.

I reckon Emi has toned down his antics since the WC. He knows he has this aura of invincibility and that’s all the intimidation tactic he needs. I hadn’t really heard him interviewed before and watched the post game with Ollie after beating Arsenal. He speaks very good English, almost has an accent lol.  

He’s a legend. Reminds me a lot of Bozza. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah he got the second yellow for gesturing a calm down straight after the ref told him not to engage with fans.  The time wasting yellow was stupid though.

Emi in his interview afterwards said he was booked after he was trying to get a ball from the ball boy.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, 479Villan said:

I'm okay with Olsen at home against Olympiakos. Not great, but, better than having him start in that environment. It's my hope that the fans who can attend that game saw the Lille match and step up their enthusiasm to lift the team.

Watching Olympiakos, I believe they don't present the same kind of threat as Lille so defense needs to step up to fill the giant Emi-shaped gap.

Then he comes back for the match in Greece and just bestrides their world like a Colossus.

(I know that's Roman, not Greek, I'm an American from the dumb southern part of the country and I'm quoting Shakespeare, grade me on a curve please)

It’s a football forum mate, trust me you would have got away with it 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villaslash said:

Sounds like we are going to try and reverse it based on Emery’s interview today.

Emery said

“It’s not exactly 100 per cent he’s not going to be for the next round, available to play.

“In the beginning I think it’s not, but we are in conversations with UEFA about it.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/april/19/the-presser--emery-looks-ahead-to-bournemouth/

Nah, think he just said that when the rule was unclear. Think it's all been cleared up and confirmed he's suspended now.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s a football forum mate, trust me you would have got away with it 😉 

I watch my step around here to avoid triggering Kenneth gifs, I'm cautious as a general rule accordingly.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Nah, think he just said that when the rule was unclear. Think it's all been cleared up and confirmed he's suspended now.

Might be. My take was we were going to talk to UEFA. I didn’t include the two lines before when Emery says he knows the rule and they are going to contest the yellow.

Emery

“I didn’t know this rule.

“But quickly they told me about this rule and now, of course, it’s very important for us and we are speaking with UEFA about this yellow card.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

I'm okay with Olsen at home against Olympiakos. Not great, but, better than having him start in that environment. It's my hope that the fans who can attend that game saw the Lille match and step up their enthusiasm to lift the team.

Watching Olympiakos, I believe they don't present the same kind of threat as Lille so defense needs to step up to fill the giant Emi-shaped gap.

Then he comes back for the match in Greece and just bestrides their world like a Colossus.

(I know that's Roman, not Greek, I'm an American from the dumb southern part of the country and I'm quoting Shakespeare, grade me on a curve please)

Where in the South?

42 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

I watch my step around here to avoid triggering Kenneth gifs, I'm cautious as a general rule accordingly.

44 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

Colossus of Rhodes, Greece. Are you kidding me, your post raised our forum reading level?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villaslash said:

Colossus of Rhodes, Greece. Are you kidding me, your post raised our forum reading level?

It's two Romans talking, that's what I mean.

HELL I DON'T KNOW I'M GOING BACK TO THE WM FOOTBALL PHONE IN THREAD I AM SCARED HERE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 479Villan said:

I was fairly sure that the Colossus of Rhodes was pretty Greek, so I looked it up, and the Latin word Colossus comes from the Greek Kolossos apparently, meaning  larger than life, or gigantic statue, so carry on.

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Like 2

Â