Emiliano Martínez

hippo

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I dunno man. I’m sure you and few others were saying Sheffield United were a quality team.  Can’t be bothered to look back though 

Anyway we’ve finally got a top keeper. Happy days!

Quite a few on here with selective memories, but yeah, who cares? We only moan when we're losing, most of us, that is. 

7 minutes ago, ChinlessWonder said:

Man of the match for the one top quality moment from the team today, the penalty save.

The save was great, but honestly I think the moment I enjoyed most was when one of our defenders (Konsa I think) lamped a terrible ball back to him and he calmly controlled it and passed it out under pressure without somehow spooning it into his own net (because Aston Villa). I'd actually been holding my breath as the ball went back to him.

Anyway, what I mean by that laboured anecdote is that I'd rather have a keeper that can consistently do the basics to a high level than one that occasionally saves penalties - although if he makes a habit of saving penalties too I'm not going to complain! :)

• Like 1

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

The save was great, but honestly I think the moment I enjoyed most was when one of our defenders (Konsa I think) lamped a terrible ball back to him and he calmly controlled it and passed it out under pressure without somehow spooning it into his own net (because Aston Villa). I'd actually been holding my breath as the ball went back to him.

Anyway, what I mean by that laboured anecdote is that I'd rather have a keeper that can consistently do the basics to a high level than one that occasionally saves penalties - although if he makes a habit of saving penalties too I'm not going to complain! :)

Yes! Or when he came out and decisively and calmly catched the ball with both hands, despite the penalty area being fully congested with players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

did trez try to control it?, for it to bounce off his ear or something?

Tbf trez made some great first touches off balls in the air. Almost creating something of them twice. Not a brilliamt game by any stretch, but he was actually half decent.

Emi Martinez was probably man of the match, not just for the penalty save. Awesome all round performance.

• Like 2

Dealt with everything, even the nervous parts of play where was passed back to Martinez, he just calmly sorted it out. His penalty save was absolutely terrific and amazing.

I believe Martinez will be for us like Schmeichel was for utd, he will save us points and at early days 20 mill is looking like a bloody steel.

Would not surprise me if Arsenal fans are already going nutz saying *why have we even sold Martinez look how hes playing for Villa* 

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s gotta be fake news

Even if so, it was an outstanding debut.

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only one game but he seems very commanding on crosses which is great to see. 

He was a revelation to watch and if he keeps those performances up then we will have the best Villa goalkeeper since Mark Bosnich and Brad Friedel.

Â