Josh King

JPAngel

main concerns with the potential signing of Wilson was his injury record/age/wage/ contract length. I am more than happy for Newcastle to take that financial risk. we are not 'that' club anymore and players coming here for one last fat bumper contract can go somewhere else. the only time this strategy ever really worked for us is from I remember.. is Paul Merson and maybe Brad Freidel (probably been a few more and I'm happy to be corrected) but it rarely works for us. 

I actually do not think josh King fits this bill..'if' we can get him at the right price for a lower wage on what out top earners are on, otherwise.. move on. as we did with Wilson. Lets be real, this was always going to be a testing window for us to bring in REAL quality, we finished 17th and to an extent, regardless of how much money we may or may not have to spend, we are still well down the food chain. 

With this in mind the 'right' deal for someone like josh king probably represents good value. he would certainly improve us, were Manure not in for him in January this year?

Edited by handsworthlion
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I wonder whether we are signing him as a wide forward instead of being the main striker. Most of the time he plays out wide for B'mouth, should add decent competition to Trez and AEG.

Right, Left or either?

I don't know much about him but can see his goalscoring record was dismal last season and average before that. If he's versatile he'll surely be an upgrade on AEG, although that isn't difficult of course. If he's one of a few coming in and can play right side i'd say give him a go.

King would be a very good signing.  Would fit in nicely to how we play too.  Adds a hell of a lot outside of goals.  Trouble last year was we couldn't make it stick at all up front, and get our quality midfield comfortably up the field.  He'd be the best we have instantly.  

I think King and Watkins rather than one or the other is sensible. After all we need to consolidate this season and build a squad. A lot of people on here think all of our current strikers are dismal, and if Smith doesn't have any trust in any of them then it makes sense to get both of these guys in. It doesn't mean they have to always start, they can push each other, plus they're both versatile players so it allows greater in game management from the bench. If we just sign Watkins then if he isn't available you're back to Samatta, or Davis and eventually a returning Wesley. Let's just get King in as well as Watkins, it will add both pace and physicality to our front line, which was sorely missed last season.

• Like 1

Having just read a Bournemouth forum, they all seem to consider him better than Wilson, and they expect him to got to a top 6 club, and PSG and AC Milan have apparently also “sniffed around” ... I say we pay the money and get him in. 

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

King and Watkins for £40m-£45m wouldn't actually be bad at all.

Would hopefully leave enough for a GK, CM and Winger.

With King and Watkins added to Cash, that is some much needed pace and power.

This is what *Evans is suggesting, Watkins, ST, winger, CM and GK. I'd be quietly confident for the new season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Rosk said:

King would be a very good signing.  Would fit in nicely to how we play too.  Adds a hell of a lot outside of goals.  Trouble last year was we couldn't make it stick at all up front, and get our quality midfield comfortably up the field.  He'd be the best we have instantly.  

Always thought this when I've seen Bournemouth play. Him and Brooks were their stand out attackers.

5 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

With King and Watkins added to Cash, that is some much needed pace and power.

This is what *Evans is suggesting, Watkins, ST, winger, CM and GK. I'd be quietly confident for the new season.

A fit Wesley might start looking a different player with Watkins one side, King the other and Grealish behind...

• Like 3

Â