The AVFC FFP thread

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

By abiding by whatever our filthy rich owners agreed with the EFL to convince them we have the finances to continue making The Championship an excellent league during the coming season as per our recent meeting with them. 

Do you have any knowledge of dealing with Shaun Harvey ? 

So we still have a colossal unsustainable wage bill , have failed to generate any revenue from player sales and have £0 parachute payments next season. Last season was a gamble that nearly crippled us so our master plan this season is to repeat what we did last season. Another season in the championship and we are totally ****. We really have gone shit or bust this season. I'm really not convinced at all with what we are doing. It's like using the Martindale system on roulette. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KHV said:

So we still have a colossal unsustainable wage bill , have failed to generate any revenue from player sales and have £0 parachute payments next season. Last season was a gamble that nearly crippled us so our master plan this season is to repeat what we did last season. Another season in the championship and we are totally ****. We really have gone shit or bust this season. I'm really not convinced at all with what we are doing. It's like using the Martindale system on roulette. 

Jesus, everybody stop with the panicking and pissing yersens in fear about FFP and next year already. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

If history has taught us anything at all, it is that this time next year we will have been purchased by three trillionaires who'll summon the snuffling lick-spittle suits who think they run the leagues to their presence, squint balefully at them and growl, ""FFP? Us? Getting presumptuous aren't you, little men? Go away, make that issue go away and we won't crush you for your impudence."

Now, hopefully you can all relax now. :thumb:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KHV said:

We were nearly crippled last year because Xia was a fraud who had no money. Our current owners most definitely do have money and have this covered. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

FFP was constantly mentioned by the club last season whether it was Xia, Wyness or Bruce. Since we’ve been taken over it hasn’t been mentioned once. (Please correct me if I’m wrong). 

Either the club is no longer being so open with the fans on the situation or there are measures in places to deal with it. 

• Like 4

I think our owners have it covered. I'm sure that there are ways and means to deal with it. We *have* significantly reduced the wage bill. We have spent buttons in the window and may well still loan players out to cover costs of any loans in. 

There will be many tricks and deals that could take place. As a silly example - transferring Micah into an admin/youth team/ladies team role whilst paying him the same for instance would also help with FFP....

• Like 2

So before our new owners came in, we were under a soft transfer embargo. Our new owners had to meet with the EFL and discuss our plans and how the club will be financed. After that meeting, we were told by the club we didn't have to sell any players. We also had the soft transfer embargo lifted. 

The two scenarios then are:

1. The club told the EFL one thing, but then did the opposite and went and bought/loaned all these players, didn't sell anyone and actually, we're still f*cked from an FFP perspective, as some here seem to think. If this were the case, the EFL would have stepped in, refused to register the players we were bringing in, and reinstated some sort of transfer ban until we got out house in order. 

2. The club presented a plan to the EFL, that didn't include selling any of our players and planned for wages for any incoming, such that they felt satisfied we would meet our FFP obligations. As a result, the EFL left us to work to that plan, and the owners could say we don't have to sell our players. 

I don't know what that plan is, but I'm don't have the necessary knowledge of tax, accounting and football regulations to know of it. Given the way the transfer window played out, and the fact there seems to be no concerns from the EFL, the only conclusion I can draw is that this window has no impact on our FFP obligations. 

6 minutes ago, Godders said:

...two scenarios then are:

1. The club told the EFL one thing, but then did the opposite and went and bought/loaned all these players, didn't sell anyone and actually, we're still f*cked from an FFP perspective, as some here seem to think. If this were the case, the EFL would have stepped in, refused to register the players we were bringing in, and reinstated some sort of transfer ban until we got out house in order....

I'm not sure that reflects how it works, is it?

The EFL stepped in when it looked like the club might be put into Administration by the Tax man. the EFL won't let a club with unsustainable debts spend more (and thus owe money) to other clubs, where the risk is they can't pay it back, or where players and staff risk going unpaid. That's why the EFL stepped in. Not FFP. The FFP period had expired and we'd (as far as we know) passed the test. 

Having seen evidence of new funds, and the biils being paid etc. the EFL then lifted their soft embargo. FFP doesn't come into the urgent reckoning again until next spring. The EFL won't second guess how any club meets its obligations throughout the season - they won't dicate how a club raises funds or cuts costs, I doubt they give a running commentary of that's OK, that's not OK. They don't predict in August whether a club is likely to be "f****d from an FFP" perspective come next March and put a ban on 'cus they reckon.

It's more that a club has to demonstrate that it can fund the season's bills and costs etc. and then it's free to compete as it sees fit. If it can't demonstrate it is a viable concern, then restrictions come in.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Godders said:

2. The club presented a plan to the EFL, that didn't include selling any of our players and planned for wages for any incoming, such that they felt satisfied we would meet our FFP obligations. As a result, the EFL left us to work to that plan, and the owners could say we don't have to sell our players. 

You would think this is the most likely scenario. The main concern the EFL would have is making sure clubs don't go bust. Even if we technically breach FFP in the short term they shouldn't have a problem with it as long as there is a realistic plan in place to deal with it going forward. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You would think this is the most likely scenario. The main concern the EFL would have is making sure clubs don't go bust. Even if we technically breach FFP in the short term they shouldn't have a problem with it as long as there is a realistic plan in place to deal with it going forward. 

Although as Blandy points out above, the meeting wasn’t about FFP, it was about whether we could pay our bills. Dr T couldn’t, S & E obviously can. End of crisis.

I wonder, does revaluing players assist with FFP? Supposing Jack Grealish is revalued at, for example, £40m where previously he might have been valued at £20m in the accounts.

I know very little about FFP and how it works but previously it was mentioned that revaluing Villa Park would also help (though some disputed whether that would count).

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The EFL stepped in when it looked like the club might be put into Administration by the Tax man. the EFL won't let a club with unsustainable debts spend more (and thus owe money) to other clubs, where the risk is they can't pay it back, or where players and staff risk going unpaid. That's why the EFL stepped in. Not FFP. The FFP period had expired and we'd (as far as we know) passed the test. 

Having seen evidence of new funds, and the biils being paid etc. the EFL then lifted their soft embargo. FFP doesn't come into the urgent reckoning again until next spring. The EFL won't second guess how any club meets its obligations throughout the season - they won't dicate how a club raises funds or cuts costs, I doubt they give a running commentary of that's OK, that's not OK. They don't predict in August whether a club is likely to be "f****d from an FFP" perspective come next March and put a ban on 'cus they reckon.

It's more that a club has to demonstrate that it can fund the season's bills and costs etc. and then it's free to compete as it sees fit. If it can't demonstrate it is a viable concern, then restrictions come in.

Correct.

A good explanation of the new FFP tests and their implementation and implications here. I'd suggest 1st March2019 is the important date for you guys, especially as you'll have lost the £35 million PL season allowance for the first time once the 3 seasons in focus are 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19, which they will be from that date.

Spoiler, it mentions the woes of your near neighbours, which I'm sure upset you all greatly. ?

https://www.mikethornton.xyz/new-ffp-tests/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Is that not the point of FFP though? To prevent clubs from overspending themselves into oblivion? 

I expect the EFL would have had a handle on our finances when the real concern was that we'd go into administration. They'd have to understand our financial position in order to determine whether we'd be able to fulfil our fixtures, pay our staff etc. 

In my view, the EFL would be being exceedingly lax in their oversight if they then had conversations with our new owners without a view to next season. Of course that meeting(s) considered FFP. The EFL aren't there first and foremost to punish clubs, I'm sure they would rather have us fixing the situation within the rules of FFP. If the club's plan was to inject massive cash, or sell the stadium rights for £1 billion without addressing the cost base, both of which are in breach of FFP as I understand it, but would prevent the club from heading into administration, I can't beleive that they would walk out of there without taking further action. It wouldn't be responsible letting a club rack up spending clearly in breach of rules, regardless of when those rules would apply. 

I'd wager the discussion had with the EFL considered our future FFP obligations, and the plan presented satisfied them how we would remain a going concern while acting within the bounds of FFP, without having to sell of players. 

Considering the new kit is the best we've had for years and we've kept our 40m asset. We should all go out and buy a jersey and have Grealish printed on the back. With the 700% sales increase and the fact that shops have sold out of stocks will help with FFP. 

I also think we have revalued players like Jack to 40m, Chester to £15m etc. Value of properties etc? 

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I can't help but feel we're gambling it all again on promotion this season. 

Not exactly feeling entirely comfortable. Would like to see a statement from our owners in regards to FFP. 

It's worth reading the last few pages. We have to be ready by March. We can't gamble on promotion as it will already be too late by then.

I think an announcement is unlikely. If we submit our forecast in March, the FL only has until the end of season to decide on whether we pass or not. If we tell them the plan now, they might find a way to block anything that we try.

• Like 3

Â