The AVFC FFP thread

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

Facebook Villa pages seem to be even worse than this forum for suggesting ridiculous FFP sponsorship loopholes. It's driving me insane.

They are mostly ridiculous for any sort of logical debate to be fair.

• Like 2

Does anybody actually know if there are ways of raising the money we need, apart from selling Grealish and our other best players? Does the fact that we have new owners have any effect on FFP at all?

I have a question. 

Let's say the maximum you are allowed to sponsor a stadium name for according to the fair market decided by the FFP police is £2m per year. 

Why not sign a 9 month stadium deal for £1.5m then on expiry sign a new one year deal for £2m thereby getting in £3.5m in one financial year? 

Edited by sidcow

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You know what. F**k FFP! It hasent stop the likes of City PSG and even Wolves spending ridiculous sums. 

Im sick to death of Villa using FFP as a convenient excuse to not spend over the years! There has to be ways around it! 

To be fair we've never had an owner with actual money.

Lerner didn't care about FFP until the money he was willing to spend dried up.

Xia didn't care about FFP until the money he was willing to spend/had at his disposal dried up.

FFP like you said is a convenient excuse flaunted by owners that don't have the cash.

I have a feeling that Nassef and Wes will find ways around it because they have the cash, they wouldn't have bought Villa or a stake in Villa to let the club tread-water.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

To be fair we've never had an owner with actual money.

Lerner didn't care about FFP until the money he was willing to spend dried up.

Xia didn't care about FFP until the money he was willing to spend/had at his disposal dried up.

FFP like you said is a convenient excuse flaunted by owners that don't have the cash.

I have a feeling that Nassef and Wes will find ways around it because they have the cash, they wouldn't have bought Villa or a stake in Villa to let the club tread-water.

Exactly. We all fell for the lines of Xia has loads of money but isn’t allowed to spend it on players.  

If FFP severely restricts the investment from our new owners who we all know are big players then we can finally accept how much of a hindrance it is. 

But as you say. I some how doubt it will be as much of an issue all of a sudden. 

• Like 2

Alan Nixon thinks new owners are given some slack - it may not be written down anywhere but I trust that Nixon has been around the block enough to know this sort of thing. If so, it could account for their 'bullish' attitude towards the squad. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 14.22.20.png

• Like 1

From what I understand from FFP it was created to prevent clubs going out of business through overspending. What it actually does is prevent anyone doing a Chelsea or Man City and buying success. No idea how many votes it required to pass but I'd hazard a guess that United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man City signed it. Clubs that are still able to spend millions safe in the knowledge their positions in the hierarchy are safe.

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

I have a question. 

Let's say the maximum you are allowed to sponsor a stadium name for according to the fair market decided by the FFP police is £2m per year. 

Why not sign a 9 month stadium deal for £1.5m then on expiry sign a new one year deal for £2m thereby getting in £3.5m in one financial year? 

You’re an accountant aren’t you. ;)  

with that kind of devious creativity, you could go far in the accounting world.   

43 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

From what I understand from FFP it was created to prevent clubs going out of business through overspending. What it actually does is prevent anyone doing a Chelsea or Man City and buying success. No idea how many votes it required to pass but I'd hazard a guess that United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man City signed it. Clubs that are still able to spend millions safe in the knowledge their positions in the hierarchy are safe.

From memory, I think all Premier League clubs voted for it apart from us (Randy Lerner) and someone else. 

Getting round ffp is going to be our no. 1 issue now.. 

Itd be great to try Henry as manger, but if he can't buy any new players to work with the way he wants, then I'd rather stick with brucie..

There's Lot of things I don't like about Bruce, but in the end we missed promotion by 1 place, and automatic by a few points. 

That means he did a better job than every other manager in the league apart from the 3 that went up. 

Swap that for a total unknown quantity? 

Especially if the ffp problems can't be got around.. If we can't find a way around it, we'd be mad to change Bruce. 

However if we can get around it, and bring new players in, a change might be worth a go. 

Well more than that - if we could spend whatever we liked, and a new manager could craft their team.. Then go for it. 

Its all about the ffp for me, that dictates the manager decision.

On another ffp point, I think we can bring in much larger sums for stadium sponsorship etc.. Man city did 400m over, 4 or 5 years, so I think we can manage more than 2m a year. 

There is no reason we couldn't reasonably pull in the same as man city did.. Remember they weren't in the position they are now when they signed these deals.. 

There are always many ways around it, what we lacked with xia was that he didn't really have the cash to bankroll it. 

Let's see if the new guys are going to throw the cash at us.. 

2 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Getting round ffp is going to be our no. 1 issue now.. 

Itd be great to try Henry as manger, but if he can't buy any new players to work with the way he wants, then I'd rather stick with brucie..

There's Lot of things I don't like about Bruce, but in the end we missed promotion by 1 place, and automatic by a few points. 

That means he did a better job than every other manager in the league apart from the 3 that went up. 

Swap that for a total unknown quantity? 

Especially if the ffp problems can't be got around.. If we can't find a way around it, we'd be mad to change Bruce. 

However if we can get around it, and bring new players in, a change might be worth a go. 

Well more than that - if we could spend whatever we liked, and a new manager could craft their team.. Then go for it. 

Its all about the ffp for me, that dictates the manager decision.

On another ffp point, I think we can bring in much larger sums for stadium sponsorship etc.. Man city did 400m over, 4 or 5 years, so I think we can manage more than 2m a year. 

There is no reason we couldn't reasonably pull in the same as man city did.. Remember they weren't in the position they are now when they signed these deals.. 

There are always many ways around it, what we lacked with xia was that he didn't really have the cash to bankroll it. 

Let's see if the new guys are going to throw the cash at us.. 

Howard Hodgson who is part of the Villa Supporters Trust said on Twitter the other day that he was told by Luke Organ that the maximum we could get for stadium sponsorship would be £4 million per season.

Daggy_333 fair enough didn't know that.. However i can't see why we aren't allowed to get sponsorship to the same level as the bigger clubs.. I guess that would be a court battle

Trouble with selling Jack and Chester to balance ffp is we obviously lose 2 best players, and still can't spend to get anyone else in because we are just back to a 'balanced' level with regards to FFP. 

Thankfully I hope we now have owners with the real funds to do things, so if there is a way around it they will find it. 

Hopefully they are streetwise and can pull a few strings.. 

I would image they wouldn't have brought the villa if they didn't have a plan, and weren't confident they could work some magic with regards ffp.. 

Let's all hope! 

Every single day for the last month I have googled the names Jordan Veretout and Adama Traore hoping to see a headline about them signing for new clubs for big money in the desperate hope we would earn a coupe of million quid in sell on shares. 

Every bloody day.  

However I am now so certain our new owners will find ways of shifting money into the club I really don't care anymore. 

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

You’re an accountant aren’t you. ;)  

with that kind of devious creativity, you could go far in the accounting world.   

Insurance broker actually but I got the idea because occasionally I have had clients who wish to shift their renewal date so they take a short period like 9 months, so you see your renewal fee hit the same financial year twice, which is nice. 

No way of reviewing every player's contract and changing payment methods ? So everyone gets £5k per week and rest made up in other methods?  Would significantly reduce wages.

Loan to buy all new players coming in ? 

Doing something akin to wolves cheating 

Â