The AVFC FFP thread

1 minute ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Yes I think you are spot on. FFP,  as I see it,  is solely club turnover versus player expenditure, so suddenly having a pot of cash does not change a thing in this regard. No transfers can be funded by new owners, unless we willingly take the hit next year, so players will still have to be sold. We just don't need that money to stay afloat anymore, it's just a question of covering that 40million transfer black hole.

So I fully expect grealish, chester, kodjia, and whoever else can command a decent fee, to be sold. I'm just relieved that this is as bad as it might get, if xia would have held on for grim death and continued his financial gymnastics we could have been at risk of going a leeds/pompey

I agree with this from a logic point of view, but I just wonder whether the new owners would want to start their time here on bad news (as expected as it may be).

There is a huge feel-good factor around the club right now, (well, if you ignore @blandy's sensible posts :P), and they will cause a U-turn if they sell Grealish in the next few weeks.

Who knows.

I'm one of the dreamers that hopes they can put up a fight of some sorts, or work a way round it. Maybe Sawiris can move some of adidas's profits into out 'In' column, as that's football related. :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Is it not just adding up the figures below?

2016/17 = £14mill loss

2017/18 = ? - clearly a big push to get promoted but what was the loss? This is the key figure surely - there were a lot of player sales.

2018/19 = whatever it has to be after last season's losses 

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2018/5/30/17407010/aston-villa-financial-fair-play-jack-grealish-james-chester-albert-adomah

A good article. 

In 2016/17 the figure is £3.5m loss as £11m of that £14m loss was to do with infrastructure and the academy.  The estimate for 2017/2018 is around £30m loss.

That puts us on a £33m running loss to 2018/19.  In 2018/19 we lose a big chunk in revenue because the drop in parachute payments. We stand to make a loss of £55m according to the estimates.  That means we have a 3 year running loss of £88m when we need to be at £39m. So a defecit of say £49m. Of that amount £13m to £15m went out the door in wages. Additionally Gil, Amavi and Gollini went permanently and on those deals we add £5m of profit to FFP. So the deficit is now £29m. 

These are all estimates but it could be anywhere between that £25m to £30m figure roughly. 

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Actually the benefit of our new owners wealth is that we can hopefully invest heavily in the areas FFP doesn't cover, am I right in thinking these are things like facilities and infrastructure?

A  forward thinking, sensible transfer policy, a cracking youth setup and a wide net scouting network. That to me is the basis of a sustainable club, not throwing money at transfers in desperation. 

Only works if you have someone who is willing to use these facilities.  I.e. we have cracking young players that came through the youth setup and they arent used.

57 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

We failed last season because the TEAM wasn't good enough. The players were more than good enough but we failed to mix the ingredients sufficiently well to bake a good cake.

We COULD possibly have a stronger TEAM this season even without the big CVs/names and if Bruce has learned a lesson or two then with Grealish and Kodjia and Chester, we can still make the grade.

I agree with you Paul33. We had the players to get promoted last season , but never looked like a properly coached "team". FFP will restrict recruitment so we will have to sell key assets before signing players and even then we may need to stick to loans and frees.

If we have to live with the consequences of FFP for the next 12 months, then we need a head coach who can get an improved "team performance' out of the decent players left in our squad.

If there is a way to partially alleviate the draconian effect of FFP then I'm sure our new owners are taking expert advice on the possibilities right now. It will be an interesting couple of weeks before the season starts.

2 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

What is the fine for FFP?  Did I see here that Bournemouth were fined 5 million?

Rules have changed now because of them.  Will be alot more severe now.  Most likely point deductions.  

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I agree with this from a logic point of view, but I just wonder whether the new owners would want to start their time here on bad news (as expected as it may be).

There is a huge feel-good factor around the club right now, (well, if you ignore @blandy's sensible posts :P), and they will cause a U-turn if they sell Grealish in the next few weeks.

Who knows.

I'm one of the dreamers that hopes they can put up a fight of some sorts, or work a way round it. Maybe Sawiris can move some of adidas's profits into out 'In' column, as that's football related. :lol:

I don't think we will have any choice regarding selling grealish etc.

I also think the new owners have got a free hit here. Whilst the shambles of mr xia is still fresh in the minds of all fans, I think the large majority would absolutely see the reasoning behind flogging grealish etc.

Just now, Okonokos said:

Very interesting listening to him on TalkSport now. Saying we could get a revaluation of all the land we own (which apparently we own a lot) which could get us in excess of 40 million.

Just caught that too - £40 mill right there from that revaluation. That's FFP utterly sorted. 

Interesting from Scott. Basically saying that we revalued our land and assets after relegation down by 40m, but that it could easily be revalued again to a similar or higher level which would give us far more room to maneuveur.

No idea how true this is but it goes to show that there's a lot more than we know about. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Very interesting listening to him on TalkSport now. Saying we could get a revaluation of all the land we own (which apparently we own a lot) which could get us in excess of 40 million.

I must admit I was lost with all that, but clearly he has read into this and knows his stuff. He sounded like we have nothing to worry about, and it's down to some accountancy work done the year we came down which the new owners can easily exploit.....

Also said, villa now have the 3rd richest owners in english football. just let that sink in. only man city and chelsea are ahead of us.....if they want to flex their muscles.....wow!

• Like 1

Just now, PatrickCousens said:

No idea how true this is but it goes to show that there's a lot more than we know about. 

This.

There will no doubt be loads of little tricks they can pull to get around things. 

I'm far from an expert on all things business and finance so excuse me if I misheard or misunderstood what he said but sounded to me like he said when we got relegated we took an "impairment hit" on all the land we own (including Villa Park) and now if we were to revalue that we could get well over 40 million.

No idea if I understood that right but that's what it sounded like to me.

Â