The AVFC FFP thread

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Lets not get carried away. These owners look better than Xia - but lets see them appoint a CEO first, because another way of looking at it - is that Xia is still the major shareholder with 45% - the other two own 27.5% each. Ive seen it suggested that the shares the new guys own attract a dividend, so their investment provides a return - IF thats true then these guys are effectively funding the club at a cost to Aston Villa. It might also that Xia has more power at the club than we though on Friday when this new broke. 

I guess like all new ventures, they will also be sceptical......lets face it, its not every day some dude or other throws 30 mill in the pot and says get on with it.

Things will evolve and the true position will become clearer as they themselves are happy with the initial gambit.

The toe has been put in the water.....we have to wait until the foot and leg are in, before we can get too excited.

I suspect, due to the speed of the takeover, the due diligence will be done now, with them as investors,( and I guess they will have better access inside the camp that out of it) the take over, will be reliant on what they find.....They have taken minimal risk so far.

Thats why I think minimal structural disruption will be made.....If Steve Bruce is replaced, I think that will signal wholesale changes everywhere, including an attack on FFP.

13 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

You may be right, Pete, you often are. But what would be the motivation for these guys of buying the club if they were facing a situation where they couldn't move it forward for years and risk it going significantly backwards due to having to sell all our assets. Surely they would wait for a more attractive option?

I'm often wrong, as well. Maybe they think that despite the constraints of FFP, there's still the possibility to "move the club forward" or maybe they are happy to work longer term, given that they have essentially picked up a good club for a song? I mean if they were perhaps thinking about or actively looking to buy a club, then they may have settled on Villa because the opportunities are not that common, candidate clubs are not that many... Maybe as you imply, kind of,  they'd been waiting a good while anyway, and decided Villa was a close-ish fit for what they were after, albeit with some relatively short term issues?

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

So if what if the 'financial projection' for the current season that we have to submit in March 'accidentally' misses a few line items here and there? 

By the time the real accounts are published if we're a few months into the PL season what are they going to do? Suddenly relegate us and promote the team that finished below us? Who would you promote if there'd been a play off?

Lets just fudge this 'projection' and go out and buy EVERYONE!

Presumably tongue in cheek, buit another giddy post. I think a lot of people are going to have a big comedown over the next few weeks.

Just now, blandy said:

My perception is that VT seems in part to have gone all giddy with the notion that because these two blokes are very wealthy indeed we're about to do a Man CIty. Or that FFP doesn't somehow apply or matter any more. I'd be extremely alarmed if we were to gamble - to basically act like FFP doesn't matter, in the hope that we get promoted and then just "pay the fine" - that's not so much different to what Xia has done.

We need to concentrate on building a sustainable footballing team with coaches who can improve players and a manager who can get the best out of them, mentally and tactically. We still need to fix this £25m FFP hole. The good thing is we can negotiate with the league to fix it over the next two seasons as long as we can show a clear strategy and the funds.  We have circa £15m of wages leaving the club next season and a similar amount the year after. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

My perception is that VT seems in part to have gone all giddy with the notion that because these two blokes are very wealthy indeed we're about to do a Man CIty. Or that FFP doesn't somehow apply or matter any more. I'd be extremely alarmed if we were to gamble - to basically act like FFP doesn't matter, in the hope that we get promoted and then just "pay the fine" - that's not so much different to what Xia has done.

I was kinda thinking along the lines Pete..... that you and Simon had met Nassiff and Wes in the Idaho Hotel in Sun Valley watched the semi final together and discussed a way of getting more posters on VT.

They then said why don't we buy the club......which you and Simon responded, yeah that will get the posters pouring back.

Fixed then......" Another round please, bartender, same again.

What was you football club called again Pete?

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Presumably tongue in cheek, buit another giddy post. I think a lot of people are going to have a big comedown over the next few weeks.

Yeah the creativity is building like a pyramid.

Oh there I go again thinking everything Egyptian.

ps Wonder if the bangles could be our new cheerleaders

I think there is a direct correlation between giddiness and alcohol consumption over a weekend. In the sober light of day I think most will be content to know the future looks a lot rosier, but when plans start being actioned it'll all probably kick off again, in a good way of course.

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

The good thing is we can negotiate with the league to fix it over the next two seasons as long as we can show a clear strategy and the funds.  We have circa £15m of wages leaving the club next season and a similar amount the year after. 

Didn't know this - if so then FFP doesn't seem so difficult, which is good news....

23 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm not surprised some fans are getting carried away, but to me there has been no indication that our new ownership situation means that suddenly that we're free of the FFP shackles. 

This fantasy seems to be founded on the basis that the new investors are billionaires. 

I think it's best not to think this way as the chances are it means nothing. As a club, we're better off being run sustainably, being able to generate our own income and not relying on a sugar daddy arrangement. 

To me the only tangible benefit of their wealth at this stage is that it is keeping us afloat. 

Chances are that there is no magic wand, and we will have to suffer a bit because of FFP. 

Spot on.

We have witnessed fantasy football.....and the horrors of it.

Low profile and the incremental gradient of joy is much more sustainable and pleasurable.

blimey, we have only just got the dirty washing in.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, omariqy said:

We need to concentrate on building a sustainable footballing team with coaches who can improve players and a manager who can get the best out of them, mentally and tactically. We still need to fix this £25m FFP hole. The good thing is we can negotiate with the league to fix it over the next two seasons as long as we can show a clear strategy and the funds.  We have circa £15m of wages leaving the club next season and a similar amount the year after. 

I didn't know this, but it's helpful to those like me who don't really understand the implications and the route out of it.

Not many posters to my knowledge, who do understand it have proposed a legitimate way around it.

The problem with Aston Villa is our low income, its been a problem since Randy came into the club all ambitious. We can't sustain an owner willing to part with large amounts of money regardless of how many zero's he has on his bank statement for long because it is not balanced off with increased income.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

The problem with Aston Villa is our low income, its been a problem since Randy came into the club all ambitious. We can't sustain an owner willing to part with large amounts of money regardless of how many zero's he has on his bank statement for long because it is not balanced off with increased income.

I would expect the new owners with their background to find other means of making revenue. They are big into real estate. I wouldn't be suprised if the Witton end ens up with a hotel incorporated a la Chelsea

Just seen on Twitter that Matt Scott is on Talksport at 1230 talking Villa. He knows his stuff when it comes to football finances.

He has been tweeting recently that he doesn't believe FFP is anything to worry about for us and he thinks the previous regime were hiding behind it. Thinks Villa's FFP problems were from the Lerner era, the last season in particular. Since then the clubs finances are showing signs of improvement. No figures available for last season yet, but think we made a healthy profit on transfers.  

Might be worth a listen. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Just seen on Twitter that Matt Scott is on Talksport at 1230 talking Villa. He knows his stuff when it comes to football finances.

He has been tweeting recently that he doesn't believe FFP is anything to worry about for us and he thinks the previous regime were hiding behind it. Thinks Villa's FFP problems were from the Lerner era, the last season in particular. Since then the clubs finances are showing signs of improvement. No figures available for last season yet, but think we made a healthy profit on transfers.  

Might be worth a listen. 

I still don't like his face and never will and he remains for all eternity a cockwomble of the highest order of cockwombles - BUT - Matt Scott I believe has seen the accounts, most probably via his pal Wyness as I can't imagine how else he's had access - and he says as much on Twitter, that he is basing all his opinion on the accounts themselves. He thinks we haven't much of a FFP issue now that Randy's tenure and losses are no longer part of the rolling 3 year period. If so, then that is quite major. 

Edited by Jareth

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I still don't like his face and never will and he remains for all eternity a cockwomble of the highest order of cockwombles - BUT - Matt Scott I believe has seen the accounts, most probably via his pal Wyness as I can't imagine how else he's had access - and he says as much on Twitter, that he is basing all his opinion on the accounts themselves. He thinks we haven't much of a FFP issue now that Randy's tenure and losses are no longer part of the rolling 3 year period. If so, then that is quite major. 

He took an incredible amount of stick from Villa fans when he suggested Xia was not all sweetness and light, from the very start of his reign.

Xia had a twitter spat with him if you remember?...and to be fair to him, Matt Scott said he wouldn't last 2 years! The problem is he was saying things fans just didn't want to hear after the Lerner charade. I have to say, he is very much more positive about the new owners.

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't know this, but it's helpful to those like me who don't really understand the implications and the route out of it.

Not many posters to my knowledge, who do understand it have proposed a legitimate way around it.

I did do a brief calculation on here which showed how easily we could get around it. We could legitimately get around £7m in through training ground sponsorship and renaming the ground. We then have £18m to find. Like I said £15m walks out the door next season and the same the season after. We could easily sit down with the league explain our strategy to become profitable. A big chunk of those losses for this year come under Lerner's watch and I am sure the league would listen to a sensible argument from the new owners about how they will make us sustainable. 

That £18m could be covered easily without selling Jack. However, it all depends on who else we can sell. If we can get rid of some of the following Taylor, Jedi, Lansbury, Whelan, Elphick, Gardner, Tshibola then we could be fine. If we can't then plan B should be to sell one or two of Kodjia, Chester, Adomah or Hourihane. The last option should be to sell Grealish if all else fails. 

• Like 1

Â