The AVFC FFP thread

I wouldn’t be distraught if we sold Chester, if it allowed us to keep Grealish. A central defender can be replaced more easily than Grealish. Someone like James Collins on a free or a young, Premier League defender that needs experience. We tried bringing in a Grealish substitute last year in Onomah, and he was largely disappointing.

If we made the following sales, that would bring in £15m, which would need to be balanced in line with their respective signing costs:

Chester £9m

Lansbury £1m

De Laet £1m

Gil £1m

Gollini £2.5m

Elphick £500k

We’ll also be saving around £10m on loan wages and fees from last years loanees, as well as the wages of the above players that could leave (Approx £2.25m), and lastly we’ll be saving money on the players who’s contracts have ended, Bunn, Gabby, Samba & Hutton (Approx £1m). 

We will then have any new sponsorship/partner deals to take into account, which will hopefully provide another £3-£5m.

There’s also the possible sell-on clauses from Adama and Veretout, which will probably bring in, at best, £4m-£5m.

Using my rough and crude estimations, this would bring in around £32m-£34m. Leaving us around £12m short of what we’d need. This is all before we’ve even looked into new signings to add to the team.

Is it worth selling Grealish as well, knowing that we’ll be a much, much worse team without him? Or does Tony have some other creative way to bankroll the team and avoid an FFP fine. Or if we made a decent effort to reduce losses, but still came short of £10-£15m, would we just receive a small manageable fine?

I think something that could count for a decent chunk of this supposed £45 million black hole could be the new shirt sponsorship and naming rights for the stadium and training ground. Plus the money we receive as the compensation for HS2 running through the training ground.

I hope that's the case anyway!

How much was our Unibet sponsorship worth?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

I think something that could count for a decent chunk of this supposed £45 million black hole could be the new shirt sponsorship and naming rights for the stadium and training ground. Plus the money we receive as the compensation for HS2 running through the training ground.

I hope that's the case anyway!

How much was our Unibet sponsorship worth?

Last season our sponsorship income in total was only £2.7m, so sadly not all that material!  Not sure what naming rights / HS2 might get us

9 minutes ago, mrjc said:

Last season our sponsorship income in total was only £2.7m, so sadly not all that material!  Not sure what naming rights / HS2 might get us

If we can get £10million for the sponsorship/naming rights and HS2???, save £10 million on wages from last season (players returning from loan and contracts ending) and then get rid of fringe players (plus there wages) we might not be a million miles away from the magical £45million figure without having to sell many of the players that we'd actually like to keep.

Of course that would leave us no money for transfers for this season but beggars can't be choosers.

28 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

FFP is great isn't it.... "you have spent too much money, and are therefore likely to be financially unsustainable", so we are going to fine you some more money......

Does the fine count as expenditure under next year’s FFP assessment? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Does the fine count as expenditure under next year’s FFP assessment? ?

It has to, doesn't it. ? 

Its like the company I used to work for.... they tried to manage email and printer usage....

If you had more than a certain number of emails in your mailbox, you would get an email telling you that you had too much email. And every week they would print out a list of the top 10 people who printed the most... they would print out stuff to tell people not to print so much. Duh!

And no, I didn't work for the FA ?

• Haha 1

Sensible mail article saying FFP is shite

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5792685/Powered-spite-vultures-tearing-Aston-Villas-carcass.html

As ever, FFP causes measures to be undertaken in a mood of haste or anxiety. Wolves bet the farm on winning promotion this season, knowing if they failed the Football League would be after them. Villa fell short, so now it is their turn.

Far from achieving financial security, does anyone seriously believe Villa will be better off for losing their best players, including one — Grealish — who is the greatest beacon of hope?

In its current form, the Football League's financial rules are not fair but spiteful and potentially devastating.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5792685/Powered-spite-vultures-tearing-Aston-Villas-carcass.html

As ever, FFP causes measures to be undertaken in a mood of haste or anxiety. Wolves bet the farm on winning promotion this season, knowing if they failed the Football League would be after them. Villa fell short, so now it is their turn.

Far from achieving financial security, does anyone seriously believe Villa will be better off for losing their best players, including one — Grealish — who is the greatest beacon of hope?

In its current form, the Football League's financial rules are not fair but spiteful and potentially devastating.

Samual is a top guy he has long called out FFP for the utter farce it is and he is spot on in this article as well 

• Like 1

FFP should be a hands off thing. It should be a set of rules in place that if the Football League see a club in serious danger of going under that they step in to save them, not by punishing them with fines as if they are a bank and you just went over your overdraft limit, but by putting a cap on whatever the Chairman is doing to fritter away much needed funds. If the Football League can see that a club has a ton of money either in its accounts, or due to the owner putting in money then that should be it. We have been relegated from the Premier League, the promised land of hope and riches which is punishment enough. Now? We may as well just sell everything, sell the players, the training ground, the stadium.. **** it the Football League want it all because we have a £40 million hole in our finances, which only affects Villa, so if we're fine with that hole then who cares right? I understand it's there to in theory stop another Portsmouth, but I hate that this is the only industry where a company is told how it spends its money, it just seems wrong to me. If Xia wants to spend £1 billion on players he should be able to regardless of what happens to the club, it's his club, he owns it and he's being told what he can and can't do with his purchase? It's stupid, I mean I don't want Villa to go into administration, but I also don't want to see us as a club playing for Top 10 in the Championship because that's the best we can ever hope for. 

• Like 1

Another club with issues

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5759041/Sky-Sports-plan-reduce-Thierry-Henrys-4m-year-pay-packet.html

Derby owner Mel Morris, who caused the Football League plenty of angst with his vocal criticisms of their TV rights strategy, is himself now feeling the pinch. 

All departments at Derby, who are set to lose manager Gary Rowett to Stoke, have been told to make cuts with the Championship club said to be losing £3m a month and a £10m-plus financial fair play bill in the offing.

Departures reportedly will include operations director John Vicars and chief technical officer Stuart Fisher, and a number of academy staff

The football budget will be slashed in a new austere regime. 

Morris, who has got through six managers in three years and is facing a multi-million- pound High Court battle with former CEO Sam Rush, is said to be increasingly disillusioned with football club ownership. A club spokesman claimed Morris was still fully committed to Derby and the near £2m in compensation for losing Rowett would help with the financial deficit.

So I make it of the top 6 all but Boro were going to face FFP issue if we didn't go up ...

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Spot on.

FPP is going to absolutely gut our side and isn't protecting us from anything.

I could abide a transfer moratorium, but forcing us to actively sell our best players when we can easily afford to keep them?

It's an absolutely criminal system designed to keep the biggest clubs rich and to viciously smack down anyone who tries to better themselves.

• Like 2

Taking the emotion of a Grealish decision out of this, I don't feel annoyed at FFP or the EFL.

We have been horrendously mismanaged, and need to think drastically differently (and actually, need something to force us to do so).  This was largely during the Lerner era, but for the expenditure vs achievement so far, currently extends to Xia's reign.  These rules are there to avoid us continuously throwing good money after bad without success.  If we had achieved this season - we'd have no issue.  So it's not trying to stifle ambition.  It's trying to stifle bad business management and putting clubs at further risk.

The recent evidence shows that by having a free rein on our spending, we fail - so is it such a bad thing to have some controls put around that?

Even next year, we are still allowed under these rules to make a loss of £39m across the previous three years.  That's still a pretty big amount!  It's just not enough right now, given our previous poor decisions.

The risk of letting us go on is that Xia continues spending, we keep failing, then he leaves / loses interest / money dries up and we're left with another disastrous legacy.

I get that it feels painful, and will continue to, because we now have to get in line.  And we may have to make some horrible decisions.  But for me, the blame lies with the management and decision-makers, not the rules.

• Like 1

FFP is anything but fair. It grinds down clubs that are already down even more to swell their own coffers. It will produce a negative impact on our great club that would be beyond the wildest dreams of the most one eyed blue nose and the EFL doesn't seem too determined to apply their draconian punishment on them when they have a bigger fish such as us to bully does it?

• Like 1

i think a club of the size of villa should stand up to ffp.

as the mail read was spot on in many ways, job losses etc.villa is geared up to be in the prem,

if by a mad one man u got relegated they would get around the ffp ,city get around it by spending 50m on 1 player etc, 

if villa want to spend 100m every window let them! get people back in work again,the tax man will be happy as he gets his cut down the line,

ffp is BS ,villa bring through jack & green only to sell them to balance the books,hows that fair ?!!!!

villa is like a big bus that needs a big powerfull engine ..you carnt fit a moped engine in it & expect it to work

• Like 1

my first post on this thread as I didn't think FFP would be an issue (until the weekend)

Hoping to gain some insight to our issue, I understand the concept but has anyone got any reliable links or articles that specify our problem would be greatly appreciated!

For the record we did stand up to it (FFP) as we were one of the few PL clubs to vote against it from the off.

Memories of internal letters between Arsenal and Liverpool....

As others have said and as we all know it's there to stop anyone being able to challenge the financial clout of the Champions League teams again.

I've only ever had one plan in mind to solve the problems of all this money in football. Take all the prize money won by each club each season from EVERY competition and divide it by 92. Job done. Not very popular with 10-15 clubs though for some reason :)

Â