The AVFC FFP thread

23 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

So the is a story in the telegraph saying we are so broke that we can’t even afford Alan Huttons wages so we are not offering him a new contract. No side line of weather we actually wanted to offer a contract or that we thought he wasn’t worth the money at 34 years old just that we can’t afford him. I’m starting to get very bored of the financials. Yes are position isn’t great but it’s not like we won’t probably have a higher budget than 95% of the other teams in the league.

this is the frustrating bullshit thats circling us right now, any sensible discussion about huttons contract goes out of the window and not even lazily gets labelled as something, its worse than that its purposeful shit stirring

there are several reasons that he's not getting a new contract and this has been a fact since long before we lost the playoff final

Ultimately, I'm not an accountant, and I'm not interested in finances. What I do know, though, is that it was always the case that of the 24 teams who started last season, 21 of them would fail to achieve promotion. That's not great odds, even if you're feeling confident, so if the club really have got no plan in place to cope with this entirely foreseeable eventuality then questions absolutely have to be asked of Xia and Wyness, because that would be utterly negligent. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ultimately, I'm not an accountant, and I'm not interested in finances. What I do know, though, is that it was always the case that of the 24 teams who started last season, 21 of them would fail to achieve promotion. That's not great odds, even if you're feeling confident, so if the club really have got no plan in place to cope with this entirely foreseeable eventuality then questions absolutely have to be asked of Xia and Wyness, because that would be utterly negligent

The plan from day one was clear. Look at Championship goal scorers and assists table. And buy the top ones. Plus use Bruce's contacts at old clubs to get few loanies.

I honestly think there's wasn't much more to it

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

The plan from day one was clear. Look at Championship goal scorers and assists table. And buy the top ones. Plus use Bruce's contacts at old clubs to get few loanies.

Er.....If it was, I am going to cry.......................................with frustration.

Am I missing something? The punishments for failing to meet FFP seem to be fines or maybe points deductions. Why do we need to plug a £40m gap right now? Can’t we just sod it, take a fine/points deduction and continue to settle the club down?

maybe I’m naive. I just don’t get why it’s a necessity to sort out the shortfall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrjc said:

Yes, that quote is true - the difference is in the technical explanation. Wages aren’t amortised (they are incurred each year as they are paid), whereas the transfer fee is amortised (it’s an asset which is paid for on day 1, and spread over the life of the asset - ie, the contract length). 

So when we sell hogan, we take the fee but have to write off any remaining unamortised asset value - as you have done with the transfer fee bit. But we only save his wages next year, because that is all we would have incurred in our P&L anyway. 

Sorry, maybe not explaining it the best - but on your spreadsheet our saving for next year’s FFP is the annual salary, plus transfer fee, less unamortised asset value. 

image.thumb.png.5efded4159563bbb2f011cc53d1844d0.png

Is that a better reflection or should I not count the wages of Gollini, Gil, Amavi and Gardner as they were out on loan last season?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Am I missing something? The punishments for failing to meet FFP seem to be fines or maybe points deductions. Why do we need to plug a £40m gap right now? Can’t we just sod it, take a fine/points deduction and continue to settle the club down?

maybe I’m naive. I just don’t get why it’s a necessity to sort out the shortfall. 

Because the scope of the fines have been ramped up - It wouldn't just be a £2.5m fine for example - QPR got fined £40m - punishment could also be points deduction, relegation, or voiding a promotion placing. I think the QPR story has made people take notice.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Wow....seems like we have got a sqwingen of friends outside B6......but nevertheless, so sad reading that, like reading your own Epitaph.

I think Martin Samuel is right.....We have started to get things right off the pitch, but this blow has come a bit too soon...... 2 goals would have changed so much.

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wow....seems like we have got a sqwingen of friends outside B6......but nevertheless, so sad reading that, like reading your own Epitaph.

I think Martin Samuel is right.....We have started to get things right off the pitch, but this blow has come a bit too soon...... 2 goals would have changed so much.

He’s certainly not right about us having had two years of austerity though!

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

image.thumb.png.5efded4159563bbb2f011cc53d1844d0.png

Is that a better reflection or should I not count the wages of Gollini, Gil, Amavi and Gardner as they were out on loan last season?

Thanks.  My view (sadly)...

We'll only save half a season on Grabban and Tuanzebe, as they were only here for half of last season.

I think with Amavi we actually ended up loaning him initially, and then selling him (sale announced in October, from memory).  I have seen it mentioned a few times that the money may come in next season, but I'm not sure this is accurate and don't understand how it could impact from an accounting point of view.  So I don't think Amavi has any impact next season (other than maybe from when we were paying him in July / August?).

RDL / Gollini / Gil - agree, their wages shouldn't be counted in full.  It depends how much we were paying of their wages - if 50%, then that is what we would save.

So maybe a bit less than that above.

Sorry - not trying to be negative as I like what you're trying to do!  Loans out can be good for some players too - eg, McCormack, where we don't want to make a loss on his fee, but could ideally get someone paying a portion of his wages.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alakagom said:

I'm not talking about the plan to get promoted; I understand what that was. I'm talking about the apparent absence of a plan in the case of us not getting promoted. 

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Because the scope of the fines have been ramped up - It wouldn't just be a £2.5m fine for example - QPR got fined £40m - punishment could also be points deduction, relegation, or voiding a promotion placing. I think the QPR story has made people take notice.

As I heard it there are up to ten clubs who have issues with FFP including the one on the dark side of the city. They don't seem to be doing much (at least publicly) to satisfy FFP.  Are they prepared to take the hit or are they hoping they will get away with it because the authorities are only focused on catching the big claret & blue fish?

2 hours ago, John said:

As I heard it there are up to ten clubs who have issues with FFP including the one on the dark side of the city. They don't seem to be doing much (at least publicly) to satisfy FFP.  Are they prepared to take the hit or are they hoping they will get away with it because the authorities are only focused on catching the big claret & blue fish?

I’m suprised the clubs are not joining forces to fight it. Maybe they are. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Maybe the silence from Tony is a further attempt to get to grips with FFP.

Until that imposter is dealt with, we don't know where we are going.

I have no Interest in the accounts.....but it strikes me we are too honest and straight....perhaps a bit a few body swerves are required.

However, I have equally little interest in my club being owned by a Fitness expert or a director of Football either.

Tony, needs to just get on with this and in the mean time.....Martin Samuel's cohorts need to get out their feather quills and expose what a crock of Shite this FFP really is.

Yes, We have been the architect of our own demise.....but with relatively New owners like we have the legacy, should not be able to linger like it does.....its not protectionism, its preventionism....prevention from rectifying past incompetencies.

Its like a swamp and once you are in its hard to get out, a protectionist scheme, should not work like that.

I am not trying to get all gooey eyed in favour of our club here, but it strikes me that our kind of circumstances are basically confined to just a few clubs.....usually the ones with the big infrastuctures who are panicking to get back due to the commensurate overheads and are hastily making decisions to avoid the swamp.

maybe some of those decisions have been too hasty....but only Hindsight tells us that.

I do think an adult conversation with the league, ought to be sought in both camps, to identify any area's that our club has been harshly affected inadvertently by these punitive rules....Much is at stake here.....The football league is nothing without its clubs and here is a fine institution, that is genuinely struggling having missed out on an ambitious attempt to remedy itself, That should not be penalised to having to sell the kitchen sink.

Remember, We didn't get relegated.....We just missed out on Promotion.

Something, doesn't stack up here to me guys and this needs to be discussed at the highest level in the league.....I am not expecting special treatment, I expecting them to re visit our situation and re-examine the fairness that exists surrounding our case within FFP and see if any wiggle room is available to us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Maybe I’m mistaken, but if the initial transfer fee is amortised across the life of a player’s contract, then EFL/FFP would rather a club make a BIGGER loss by keeping that player and paying their wages, instead of the club just selling the player sooner for a SMALLER loss. That itself is just nonsense. Unless I’m getting the wrong end of the stick.

Let’s take Hogan as an example. If we bought him for £10m, then for accounting purposes, that fee is spread across the years that he is under contract with us. So if we decide to cut our losses now and flog him for £3m, then we’ll be making a big loss because of the amortised transfer fee. But it’s not like the amount we’ll pay Brentford suddenly decreases. We’ll still have paid them the same amount for him no matter when we sell him, and for how much. Surely, if for arguments sake we don’t want him, we’re better off, financially, selling him for £3m and taking that hit, than keeping him, paying his pages, and watching his value drop ever further until he goes for free?

I don’t know if I’m making myself clear or whether I’m oversimplying the whole amortisation jiggery pokery. But, it sounds like FFP is massively flawed, and actually hampers teams more than it helps them.

Overall, in my non-professional opinion, FFP is about as useful as a clamp on a ballsack. Yes it might sound like a laugh for a few minutes, but you’ll soon be squeeling like a pig and shoving ice down your pants.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's decided by a panel and can be any of a fine, points deduction or a transfer embargo or a combination of those three, hardly desirable. If we could just 'pay a fine' then it's another high risk strategy that assumes promotion is around the corner, in keeping with the Xia approach I guess but will absolutely explode on us if we fail to meet that objective.

The media always try to destroy clubs. I remember when West ham went down under eggbert that Icelandic guy. They seem to have got over it

They will never kill /break down the fans of the club no matter happens

Â