Matty Cash

paul514

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Young was one of the best prospects in championship when we signed him. 

We signed Ashley Young @VillaChris when he was at Watford in Premier League 2006/2007 Season.

We beat them 2-0 at Villa Park with Gavin McCann & Gabby scoring on 20th January 2017. (He didn't play in that game against us)

We signed him 3 days later

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

If this signing had been announced after the signing of say, Rashica, Watkins and Edouard then I think we would be all pretty happy with this but because it's our first and probably in one of the positions we thought we were "ok" in, I think some are less enthused.

Taking the transfer on it's own merit I think he's a decent signing, at a good age, with scope for improvement and Forest fans rate him highly too which is good enough for me.

I think he comes in as first choice RB with Guilbert and Elmo providing competition ( I'd keep Elmo for one more season).

It is madness to think our signings will happen in order of priority,  way too many variables for that to be the case. Sadly there are always plenty of irrational thoughts out there.

Speaking of, I choose to look at it this way...If they're willing to spend this much in a position we're not struggling in,  there must be billions to spend!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

It is madness to think our signings will happen in order of priority,  way too many variables for that to be the case. Sadly there are always plenty of irrational thoughts out there.

Speaking of, I choose to look at it this way...If they're willing to spend this much in a position we're not struggling in,  there must be billions to spend!

Oh yes, I totally agree. It's definitely not just as simple as going through the first eleven picking a winger out, then a striker.. etc.

I also echo your sentiments regarding the money side of things, it bodes well for other signings - 3 good quality signings in the right positions and we might be in for our first "boring" season for a while (IE 9th - 13th?)... Actually f... that - We're winning a cup! 😬   

Anyway, welcome Matty, much better being a 🦁 than a 🌲

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

We signed Ashley Young @VillaChris when he was at Watford in Premier League 2006/2007 Season.

We beat them 2-0 at Villa Park with Gavin McCann & Gabby scoring on 20th January 2017. (He didn't play in that game against us)

We signed him 3 days later

I think my initial reaction was why spend 9.5 million on him when we have Luke Moore.

Whoops.

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Never seen him play (or at least I DJ t recall him against us), and for a championship fullback it does seem a lot of money. But fullbacks are vital to the way Smith wants to play and therefore if he sees Cash as a good addition (which going on numerous buds you’d say so) we put our faith in him. Hopefully this opens the door and we get a couple more through the door

I think a lot of us thought Mings was a left back when we signed him but Dean saw his qualities as a centre half, maybe Cash also isn't necessarily being signed as a right back but Dean sees him as an option further up.  Either way I'm glad to see things underway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Why? He has only played 1 season at RB.

I can see him being more of Smith's John O'Shea.  Will rotate in/out of the team in a lot of different positions (Both wings, right back, central midfield, etc.) until he actually nails down a starting spot.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I can see him being more of Smith's John O'Shea.  Will rotate in/out of the team in a lot of different positions (Both wings, right back, central midfield, etc.) until he actually nails down a starting spot.  

I’m not saying he is on a par by any stretch, not even close but there is quite a lot about Cash that reminds me of Milner.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Why? He has only played 1 season at RB.

From what I've read, he had a bloody good season at RB, which you would hope has some influence on us wanting to sign him.

I guess my point is more that hopefully we aren't just bringing him in as opposed to a Buendia, Benrahma or Sarr.

As others have said, if we are spending £16m on Cash, it (hopefully) bodes well for the rest of the window.

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Good shout, a huge benefit he brings.

Haven't seen him play much, but I was at The Hawthorns last season when he smashed one in in injury time to equalise so if he could do that a few times for us it would be nice!

Don't know much about him but if he can play RW too then I'd be happy to see him push Trez out of the team

Â