Jaden Philogene

Kingman

1 minute ago, useless said:

It's good that he's starting but I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of his chances of being part of our squad next season, the rest of the team are first teamers, and if any of Diaby, Coutinho, Bailey, or Traore were available I imagine they would be starting ahead of Philogene based on the rest of the line-up. Only real surprise is that he's been chosen to play on that left handside ahead of Aaron Ramsey, but I'm sure he will get plenty of chances too.

If he impresses though maybe can force his way into the plans, would be good to see, same for Aaron, big shame no Iro, hopefully not injured if so hopefully not too bad.

Big chance for Philogene.

Well that's it, yeah. It's a chance for him to show what he can do against PL opposition. 

He’s firmly on the right wing here. Has had a couple of nice runs, including two where he showed initiative to get it more centrally and get shots off. One was deflected wide for a corner, one reasonably easy for the keeper, but both struck well. He looks a teeeeeny bit lost at sea but that’s expected, and maybe I’m over-reading it. Overall doing well after 35 mins. Good enough for the League Cup and Europa Vauxhall Conference League, you’d imagine.

If Diaby starts off playing the same way we'll all say he's settled in well and looks a player. 

Tired towards the end of the half but showed so much in the first 35 mins. 

He's a confident lad. If we can build on that, he'll be worth a squad place. 

Edited by May-Z
  • Like 1

Big improvement over his Walsall outing: was confident, his decision making was good, and unfortunate not to score in a higher stakes game vs better opposition. Needed to grab his chance with Bailey and Diaby likely now to get more minutes and he did himself no harm. I don’t think he is ready to remain around the first team squad, a decent loan with more senior football minutes would maybe serve him better, but maybe the domestic talent requirement may give him the chance?

Edited by thunderball

Really promising display. He lacked a bit of vision and there were a couple opportunities where he could have released the ball earlier but that's perfectly fine for someone who hasn't played with this level teammates much before. He's young and talented so will adjust quickly.

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

Didn't tell us anything we didn't know tonight. Confident in his ability, can beat a man, but still no end product. 

Not sure I agree with the 'no end product' in this review. 

A nice ball across that Watkins was close to, winning a corner from a last ditch interception. A shot that deflected closely wide. Another shot from his weaker foot that was a good effort from the edge of the box. (Those last two created by himself by winning the ball back first)

There was also the break away where we scored the third where his cutback was struck against the post.  Add as well that he won a penalty against Walsall.

He can be held to 'no end product' if counting goals and assists... but I'd say that's a pretty good attacking output - Involved in two goals and worked the keeper/defence with his other two main chances against Newcastle.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

Not sure I agree with the 'no end product' in this review. 

A nice ball across that Watkins was close to, winning a corner from a last ditch interception. A shot that deflected closely wide. Another shot from his weaker foot that was a good effort from the edge of the box. (Those last two created by himself by winning the ball back first)

There was also the break away where we scored the third where his cutback was struck against the post.  Add as well that he won a penalty against Walsall.

He can be held to 'no end product' if counting goals and assists... but I'd say that's a pretty good attacking output - Involved in two goals and worked the keeper/defence with his other two main chances against Newcastle.

That's fair - I'm just not sure given the wider context of his career to date. I don't think he's a lost cause, though, and I wouldn't want to sell him right now - but we're talking about a guy who has 1 assist in almost 50 appearances at senior level. It's a side of his game that he definitely needs to improve. He's got a lot of good things about him, but we need to see more. I'd loan him again this year to a side that'll be looking to make the playoffs in the championship. 

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That's fair - I'm just not sure given the wider context of his career to date. I don't think he's a lost cause, though, and I wouldn't want to sell him right now - but we're talking about a guy who has 1 assist in almost 50 appearances at senior level. It's a side of his game that he definitely needs to improve. He's got a lot of good things about him, but we need to see more. I'd loan him again this year to a side that'll be looking to make the playoffs in the championship. 

He also scored 4 goals in the Championship last season though.

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He also scored 4 goals in the Championship last season though.

And? That's not really that many. For players to make it at Villa, they have to be able to boss the championship - the step up to the standard required nowadays is massive. 

This is his make or break pre-season. At 21, I feel that he should be amongst the first team this season if he has any hopes of making it here. If Emery decides to loan Jaden out again then It doesn't look great for his long term future at the club. 

Emery on Philogene -

He played very well on loan last year and we decided to play with him in the pre-season and to give him chances to play, showing his quality and today he did it. We are going to decide for him what is the best for the club, for the team and for him as well.

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is his make or break pre-season. At 21, I feel that he should be amongst the first team this season if he has any hopes of making it here. If Emery decides to loan Jaden out again then It doesn't look great for his long term future at the club. 

I don't think it'd be a problem tbh. He's a little bit of a late developer given everything that's happened in his career but he has a lot of attributes. He needs to add the end product and I'd rather he learnt to do that elsewhere first, as if he plays for us, we'll need to be able to rely on him to produce. I don't think there's any harm in giving him another year. 

Â