Jaden Philogene

Kingman

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

FIVE? Christ almighty I would be raging if we let him go for £5m. 

Not singling you out here Steero, but I think money loses all sense of value when you're looking upwards in the Premier League given the crazy fees banded around.

JPB is 21, has played nearly 50 games for Cardiff and Stoke scoring 5 goals. If he was there on loan from another PL team, would we be looking to bring him in here? I doubt it, but if we were, do you think we'd be looking to pay much more than £5m for him? Maybe a little if there was no buyback from the selling club (as the buying club would need an incentive to agree to the buyback terms), but not a huge amount more.

If he does well we can trigger the clause, but like so many before him, I doubt that we will (FWIW I hope I'm wrong). Meanwhile £5m in profit allows us to add another 4 or 5 times multiple of that to our shopping budget, and JPB gets to play regular football. Win / win.

• Like 3

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Apparently they want another on a permanent with Philogene.

Imagine it can only be Archer, Bogarde or Ireogbunam.

Or Hause or Davis.

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Apparently they want another on a permanent with Philogene.

Imagine it can only be Archer, Bogarde or Ireogbunam.

Bogarde is on loan yo Bristol rovers

I think it be davis. He would be a great signing for them

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Or traore 

I don’t think they can afford him. With injuries we have I guess we have to keep Traore if he isn’t going permanently, atleast until January.

I like the moves for the kids and generating money. I would have liked it to be after they appear in the conference league, but if we could give the chances for Young and Kellyman I’ll still be happy as well. 
I don’t think Archer and Bidace would’ve been a long term success here but would’ve been nice to have a season of them participating here, but Ramsey might’ve been a long term success. 

I think it's a bit disappointing as it appears to be the case that he was rated and wanted to be part of the squad this season, as opposed to cases like Ramsey and Archer where it seems like Emery doesn't fancy them too much. Can't really argue if he wants to leave and they can get a decent fee for him though.

If we are moving on the best of our youngsters, then clearly it is our intention not to hang around, but to buy immediate success.

And I am all right with that. We need success, and quickly, to keep Emery and our best players.

And I want success now; I have had too many years in the doldrums.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

If we are moving on the best of our youngsters, then clearly it is our intention not to hang around, but to buy immediate success.

And I am all right with that. We need success, and quickly, to keep Emery and our best players.

And I want success now; I have had too many years in the doldrums.

You are right. There is a gap between the quality we need now and the current ability of our young players. We have decided to send them elsewhere to develop, as we can't risk the drop-off from playing them over a more experienced player at the moment. If they catch us up in a year or two then we will buy them back and if not, then we have helped our FFP situation in the short term. Win win. 

• Like 1

From the limited game time I have seen him play for us, mostly pre season friendlies, then he looks a very decent player. I think the fact he is available for 5 mill and could end up at Hull City, who are no better than a mediocre Championship team, suggests that Emery isn't the only one that doesn't think he is yet ready for, or just simply isn't good enough for, regular premier league football.

Edited by markavfc40

They can have Davis.

If we're selling Philogene for a small few mill, that tells me our FFP situation must be pretty dire.

Poor decision either way to let a player of his promise go for such a low fee, I don't care what the buy-back looks like.

The arguments for selling him and against selling him can be made with equal strength i think. My take on this is that we need to look at the academy in a different way to how we have in the past.  Many of these high quality young players we are producing would have been the backbone of our team in the Championship. BUT we are looking to cement ourselves in the top 6 now under Emery. That takes huge financial resources and truly elite players. 

We also think that these players are desperate to play for the Villa . No. They are professional . They land on their feet and get into Villas academy and they have a great chance of making it as a professional footballer . Thats the key. Get a career for themselves. At the age of 21 sitting in the reserves and getting maybe 10 sub appreances in a season is seen as stagnating. They need to be playing and developijng or it can all come to a crashing halt and they can tumble down the leagues .

So if us selling our academy players gives them the right pathway to a long career and in return we recieve a good fee for a player we will have spent comparitvely little on , i am all for it. 

By aiming for the top 6 permanently we are aiming to be one of say the top 20 strongest football clubs on the planet. And we will not continue to do that unless we scour the world for the best players, and not just bring though local lads. That increased quality will help the very best of the best youth train with these players which in turn will help them become even better.  

• Like 3

Â