Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

he's just so poor technically, a couple of times where he gets the ball and starts a run, you just know he isnt going to pass it (as he doesnt have great vision), and he will just run in to a player and get dispossessed, 93rd min versus Brighton was a classic, and he did it a couple of times today also, he just isnt a technical player, playing in a team that tries to be technical.

He is a good striker, but a bit like Cash imo, his weaknesses are very much on show when he has some very technical players around him.

I dont dislike Watkins, he has a lot of strengths, but my lord is he technically poor.

I agree. I think he's going to need to improve his decision making at pace as Diaby can pass and move no problem so I worry some promising high speed moves will break down at his feet and in the games v top 6-7 you can't afford that to happen too often.

Hopefully he gets going in the european games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Another assist today. He scores that chance if Pickford doesn't throw a roundhouse punch and a judo shin kick combo. Also, he is fit and still full of running. Goals will come, keep working Ollie. 

Relieved he dodged it like Neo…

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watkins is clearly a confidence player, a bit like Benteke used to be. As soon as he gets a goal, even one off his shin, his entire game will improve and we'll see him back to his best. Could do with a goal midweek to get him up and running.

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We won 4-0. Watkins is one of the most prolific strikers we have had in the past 30 years.

Why do some fans always look to moan about a player?

Why ? Because we see that he still has his limitations and it’s ok to call this. Ollie is improving under Unai - but to pretend that he is the finished article is quite simply looking through rose tinted glasses 

• Thanks 1

thought he had a relatively poor game yesterday although work rate was still high.  His touch was poor on a few occasions shame that effort just went wide, that would have done him a world of good.

Edited by tezzaleed

I think it was one of those games where he really wanted a goal and knew he would get loads of chances, he probably tried a bit too hard. A bit like Brentford last year where he eventually scored on his 3rd attempt. I really wanted him to score as well, always good to get the season under way.

One thing i did like is when Luiz picked up the ball for the pen, Watkins was one of the first over to wish him luck. As others have said, would have been easy to be annoyed as Pickford robbed him of an easy chance.
Also interesting to see him come off, Watkins almost never comes off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Poor start to the season?

If you want to count two games as "the start", then clearly yes.

He wasn't right last week and didn't play well yesterday at all.

Not fun against those CBs though. Schar, Botman, Keane, Tarkowski. They are CBs that beat you up.

• Like 1

I feel his limitations really showed up yesterday because he was playing alongside such a top quality player in Diaby.

There were a few times where he just didn't look on the same wavelength and also a few times where his touch/decision making badly let him down.

I do think this will come to him though and he's only going to benefit long term playing beside a player of such quality.

The goals will come 

• Like 1

He's going to have to share minutes this season. He took a whack when colliding with the post so was probably taken off to protect him.

There needs to be a cut off for contract signing as he clearly isn't at his best at the moment for what ever reason and having his future sorted out for the next 4 years, hopefully will clear his mind a bit.

19 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Looked to me like he didn't care about scoring today against a poor Everton team. Weird as I thought all strikers wanted to score.

So he got punched in the face whilst not trying to score a goal? He slammed his shin into the post whilst not trying to reach a ball and turn it goal wards.

He was wasteful with possession but this is the most ridiculous criticism to level at him. 

The penalty taking probably got taken away from him after missing his last 2.

Â