Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watkins immense again...

One of the highest in Shot Accuracy too of the top twenty in the PL. Watkins is the highest of the top ten scorers for accuracy.

BT really annoying though, after a few minutes of the game ending they were trying to sell him off to a "big club" and "should Villa be worried he gets taken away".

FFS.

He has hit the post the most times in the league this season as well according to BBC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He has hit the post the most times in the league this season as well according to BBC

Twice today alone (I'm including the bar).

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watkins immense again...

One of the highest in Shot Accuracy too of the top twenty in the PL. Watkins is the highest of the top ten scorers for accuracy.

BT really annoying though, after a few minutes of the game ending they were trying to sell him off to a "big club" and "should Villa be worried he gets taken away".

FFS.

Just take it as a compliment. I just like the fact that people are taking Villa seriously again.

This version of Watkins is better than Benteke. Don't get me wrong Benteke scored some absolute worldies for us but I think we forget how important Watkins pressing from the front is. He presses at that level for the full 90. That's wild. Absolutely insane, a top class striker is willing to do that level of defensive work.

• Like 1

Absolutely on fire at the moment but definitely aided by out attacking midfielders of buendia and Ramsey.

Read through Newcastle message board on the match thread and there were so many comments that they should sign him. All good signs.

Unplayable at the moment. Get him signed up long term and ensure he is the main man again next season. He has improved his all round gane immensely. Not just the goals and assists it is his hold up play and bringing others into play that really stands out. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Can’t be true, I read on here his high shot accuracy was because he just pumps it at the keeper rather than aiming for the corners…

• Like 1

On par with Haaland for goals since World Cup!

More than happy to eat crow, I didn’t think he was good enough but he’s shut me up! 

Benteke was incredible for us. And each in their best form, as individuals I'd probably lean towards Benteke. He was unplayable. He was at times the only good player we had. He wasn't just pace and power, some of the things he did (I'm thinking the back-heel assist to Weimann Vs Liverpool) were very intelligent.

But I don't think he was intelligent enough to play in Unai's system, or to spend hours taking his minutely detailed feedback. 

Watkins is on absolute fire, is perfect for Unai and is desperate to work hard and learn. He's perfect for this set up. Some of it is very Ancelotti-with-Calvert-Lewin I.e. stop messing around and get in the box, but Watkins play style has changed much more than that.

Individually, I'd take Benteke, cause I was convinced we had the new Drogba. But I wouldn't take him over Watkins to play for Emery

What was his goal celebration? Kind of patting his hands downwards as if to say calm down, then a finger across his throat but didn’t seem ‘throat slitting’ if that makes sense? He did it after the goal disallowed by VAR and I thought he was saying “calm down, don’t over celebrate, I think I might be offside” but then he did it again after his first actual goal once all the team celebration was over. Just curious if I’m missing something obvious - could have been a message for one single person of course.

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Think 2nd celebration with the hand across throat meant "**** you VAR, you ain't chalking that one off"

This may mean my American bias but the hand across the throat over here means " It's Over".  Which he was exactly right about. 

Random observations, but does Pope generally struggle with shots close to his feet? As it felt like yesterday that's where Ollie was trying to finish. On quite a few shots that he had the general way to finish would be to stick the ball in the far corner but he seemed to keep going low and hard towards Pope's feet.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Random observations, but does Pope generally struggle with shots close to his feet? As it felt like yesterday that's where Ollie was trying to finish. On quite a few shots that he had the general way to finish would be to stick the ball in the far corner but he seemed to keep going low and hard towards Pope's feet.

I thought the offside goal beat him because he was anticipating needing to be at full stretch and couldn't adjust when it was closer to him

Did go feet first with a lot of stuff, saved 2 Ollie shots with his feet and tried to save goal 1 and 3 with his feet so it was a thing, whether or not Ollie knew it is another

• Like 1

Villa sold Ings and the next day Watkins started scoring and he hasn't stopped.

Watkins needs to be the only show in town and doesn't benefit from competition or looking over his shoulder. He is not liable to complacency. Unai recognised that and gave it to him.

• Like 1

Â