Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Awful comparison going off 'seasons'.

In PL:

Benteke: 1 goal every 174 minutes
Watkins: 1 goal every 225 minutes

Ollie is not a better forward player than Benteke at his peak. Benteke was special for us, of course he'd get in this team.

Recency bias - Benteke was special!!!

• Like 1

You couldn’t pin your hat on Ollie dragging the team to a scrappy win like you could with Benteke, but he’s probably a “better team player”.

Some of the things Benteke did with us were unreal :D 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

'Much better striker' than prime Benteke? Really?

Allround yes. Benteke was great first season for us but never developed as a player.  Seemed to lack that desire that Watkins has. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Allround yes. Benteke was great first season for us but never developed as a player.  Seemed to lack that desire that Watkins has. 

Watkins will never be 'much better' than peak Benteke, and that's no slight on Watkins.

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Nothing about lacking desire. He just got injured and was never the same after. 

Benteke made the game look so easy, which is possibly mistaken for lacking desire.

He probably wouldn't press as much as Watkins, very few strikers so, but as an all round forward I'd happily have Tekkers in the starting line up, although I'd be playing him alongside Watkins. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2023 at 17:20, Pinebro said:

Another double figures season for the unprolific striker.

I think it proves to all of us........played right v played wrong ,can mean the world of difference to a player.

sometimes, less is more, and that is what's  happening to Ollie. He is being asked to be clinical striker, not a water carrier.....thats the genius of his manager.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Benteke made the game look so easy, which is possibly mistaken for lacking desire.

He probably wouldn't press as much as Watkins, very few strikers so, but as an all round forward I'd happily have Tekkers in the starting line up, although I'd be playing him alongside Watkins. 

Benteke didn’t play on the shoulders of defenders either, although he more readily took players on (possibly because he was so strong that they’d bounce off him).

The game Watkins had against Newcastle, Benteke just wouldn’t have had. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

different qualities for me, but Klopp would have Ollie tomorrow, but didn't fancy Benteke.

Both did/are doing well for us.

• Like 2

The one thing I will say in favour of Watkins in the him vs Benteke debate is this - if he maintains his current form, he's probably the one the absolute top teams would prefer to have in their team (even if most other teams would find Benteke more useful).

Watkins is exceptional at pressing and (currently) can finish well too. He's not much of a creator, but if you've got world-class attackers on the pitch then you'd probably be fine with that. Benteke's extra ability to create goals might be a little redundant if you had, say, KDB and Grealish and Alvarez all around him, so Watkins' pressing and engine would be more valuable to them.

10 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

The one thing I will say in favour of Watkins in the him vs Benteke debate is this - if he maintains his current form, he's probably the one the absolute top teams would prefer to have in their team (even if most other teams would find Benteke more useful).

Watkins is exceptional at pressing and (currently) can finish well too. He's not much of a creator, but if you've got world-class attackers on the pitch then you'd probably be fine with that. Benteke's extra ability to create goals might be a little redundant if you had, say, KDB and Grealish and Alvarez all around him, so Watkins' pressing and engine would be more valuable to them.

He created our first goal against  the 'mighty Newcastle' with arguably the best headed assist I can remember.  

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

You couldn’t pin your hat on Ollie dragging the team to a scrappy win like you could with Benteke, but he’s probably a “better team player”.

Some of the things Benteke did with us were unreal :D 

Ollie is largely responsible for this recent runs we are on.

He is probably one who some people won't truly appreciate until he is injured or leaves.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The Ollie v Benteke debate is moot though because both would be starting for us in this system. Benteke central and Ollie in the ‘Bailey’ role. 

It's great we can have these discussions now about Ollie, shows how important he is to the team, because at one point if we had got a decent bid from another team, I would have been happy enough to sell him.  He's now invaluable.

• Like 1

Â