Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Being very pedantic now.

Look, I'm not saying he's not capable of some decent things, he is a professional footballer ffs. But the negatives (link up wise) far outweigh the positives, and the percentages of that I've not noticed improving. It's not natural for him to spot openings for a pass either.

It's not pedantic to provide examples of an argument 😂 

He is 100% showing signs of improvement whether you 'notice' or not. 

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not pedantic to provide examples of an argument 😂 

He is 100% showing signs of improvement whether you 'notice' or not. 

I'm not saying he can't complete a pass. Please don't quote me for every completed pass between now and the end of the season 😂

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I'm not saying he can't complete a pass. Please don't quote me for every completed pass between now and the end of the season 😂

They were just 'passes', were they? They were good goal scoring chances that he created. Chipped passes and weighted through balls like that take a bit of technique and are not something that we'd ever really seen from him before. 

Perhaps just keep an open mind instead of falling back on your preconceptions of him as a player, eh?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

did watkins come off with a niggle?, or was it just a straight sub?

I think SG said in post-match he might have picked up an injury.  If that's the case, do we go back to two 10s or play Bailey or Traore as a striker vs. Palace?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill happily take 40-50m for watkins of a offer came in for him. He is ok but his finishing is really poor at times.  

I have reservations whether he could take us to the next level

Who would we buy if we sold Watkins who we know would be better than him next season?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Who would we buy if we sold Watkins who we know would be better than him next season?

Guess that’s down to Gerrard and recruitment to figure out.  It’s the same with all players, if we can upgrade for the incoming fee or the transfer budget allows that’s what we should do.  They will have lists of players for each position and some will be really risky and some will be less risky.  If it makes sense to sell Ollie and bring somebody else in then they’ll do it.  

We don’t know whose available, who they are interested in.  A good example is Digne, we(fans) had no idea he was an option in but he’s obviously an upgrade on Targett, there maybe the same for Ollie or whoever in our team.  Just because fans can’t name a name doesn’t mean anything.

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can’t think of anyone in Premier League who we could get for that money who would offer the same or better. We would have to go abroad, which is itself a risk and no guarantees they would adapt to the PL.

Watkins is two goals behind Sterling, who is Man City’s top scorer in PL.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill happily take 40-50m for watkins of a offer came in for him. He is ok but his finishing is really poor at times.  

I have reservations whether he could take us to the next level

I'd much rather keep him tbh. Strikers are hard to come by at a decent price and Ollie showed last season what he can do when we're flying. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I can’t think of anyone in Premier League who we could get for that money who would offer the same or better. We would have to go abroad, which is itself a risk and no guarantees they would adapt to the PL.

This is my point. We go abroad and they could easily either fail in PL or take time to adapt to PL. It's very risky for us to sell either Watkins or Ings when they've hit form and a partnership. I'd add a CF to them and keep both

• Like 4

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

You even have some people questioning whether Haaland will make it in the Premier League. Granted, they're probably jealous plastic fans of one of the other big 6, but it does give an indication that there's an element of gamble even to a CL proven player.

I think we'd be OK taking that gamble, with Ings as an alternative, but still don't think it's worth trading Watkins at this point in his development. 

I think selling Watkins is a mistake.  Especially at the prices bandied about.  We bought him for about $30mil plus... why in the world would we sell him for 40-50?  He's had less than 2 seasons in the Premier League, 14 goals and 10 goals (and counting).  Double digit scoring STs don't grow on trees in the Premier League.  He's not even at his physical peak years yet either (27).

My money is on him staying next year, then we cash in when he's in his prime and has 3 years of success under his belt.  If we sell him at all of course.

• Like 1

Definitely would not sell even though I complain about him not spotting Coutinho in recent games for probable easy tap ins. I’d only sell or consider it if it was a silk too big to refuse offer like £75m + . 

Â