Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Seems to be so fragile. Has played like he lacks confidence the whole season. Feels like Gerrard is waiting for him to go on a scoring run but just not happening.

I remember listening to Thierry Henry rave about Messi on how any player can look brilliant one season but to do it over and over again when defenders know your game is what sets the elite apart.

Maybe Watkins has been found out and its upto him to figure out a few differences to his game to keep defenders guessing.

• Like 1

Just been called up to the England squad. 

Not sure what I find more concerning. 

That Southgate hasn't watched us play at all this season. 

That England have so few options that a woefully out of form Watkins is our best bet. 

That Watkins seems to keep getting rewarded despite his appauling form. (Keeps getting starts for Villa and now the national team call up). 

Am I missing something - is he actually playing really well and I am just an idiot fan? 

Disclaimer - I really like the kid, he was terrific for about 80% of last year but he does not look like a Premier League footballer this season let alone an international one. 

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Am I missing something - is he actually playing really well and I am just an idiot fan? 

He’s not playing well.  Southgate is just lazy in his selections and even if players are out of form he falls back to them.  No way should he be called up this time, he isn’t playing well enough.

20 minutes ago, villaglint said:

That England have so few options that a woefully out of form Watkins is our best bet. 

I think this is a big part of it. DCL was number 2 to Kane but returning from injury in a woeful Everton side.

Probably would have been a good opportunity for Southgate to have a good look at Ivan Toney though. 

But now Jack is a favourite, Ollie has the advantage of a good playing relationship with him. 

I’m pleased for Ollie though, and yes, hopefully good for his confidence. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think this is a big part of it. DCL was number 2 to Kane but returning from injury in a woeful Everton side.

Probably would have been a good opportunity for Southgate to have a good look at Ivan Toney though. 

But now Jack is a favourite, Ollie has the advantage of a good playing relationship with him. 

I’m pleased for Ollie though, and yes, hopefully good for his confidence. 

I suppose it also keeps his value higher if we do decide to cash in the summer because he’s still being picked.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I suppose it also keeps his value higher if we do decide to cash in the summer because he’s still being picked.

Yup. I think it's a ludicrous call up, but it's good news for us. 

• Like 2

I think that, contrary to the popular belief, the DM midfielder position is not as key for us now as the striker role.

We could really benefit from a strong power forward who could hold the ball and open up play for Coutinho, Buendia et al.

Watkins did much better in the old Dean Smith system.

Someone like Antonio would work better under Gerrard (obviously we won't get Antonio) but someone similar - unfortunately Watkins can't hold his own against top defenders.

• Like 1

Southgate must be the most confusing guy I’ve ever seen. He seems to go out of his way to pick players that are out of form. 

He trys to play it off as repaying previous good performances but I’m convinced he fundamentally doesn’t understand football. Sancho is another example, been terrible most of the season but he picks him. His performers have improved in the last month, not picked! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Southgate must be the most confusing guy I’ve ever seen. He seems to go out of his way to pick players that are out of form. 

He trys to play it off as repaying previous good performances but I’m convinced he fundamentally doesn’t understand football. Sancho is another example, been terrible most of the season but he picks him. His performers have improved in the last month, not picked! 

The most in form England defender doesn't get a call up now he plays for Milan but he did when he was a Chelsea reserve 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just can't believe how slow he is. There was one point where the ball broke and he was up against Gabriel and Tierneys channel and he just got swallowed up.

I think because he's a certain type of forward and maybe even a certain heritage shall we say he keeps being labeled as quick. It really wouldn't surprise me if Ings was quicker.

Â