Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Taking way too many touches at the moment.

Always has. The only doesn’t time he doesn’t is when the ball is in the box or is crossed. Then he usually hits it first time. When I see him involved in the build up, I’m thinking it’s one touch too many such as during our decent spell near the end. Not the times when he’s isolated with no one within 40m of him. 

• Like 3

I have a lot of time for Ollie so always give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t think Ings does anything differently today. I think when you play one up top especially against Liverpool you’re working off maybe one or two chances per game. We offered nothing on the ball today so whoever was leading the line was going to be short of chances. I think he works so hard off the ball when he does get it he takes too much time or thinks about things too much. To say he loses his place after that game today is ridiculous, we’ve seen Ings in this team feeding off very little and fluffing chances you would expect him to put away when they do come. Ollie starts against Norwich 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

No way is ollie being dropped anytime soon.

His press from the front is integral to how we play under Gerrard.

Ings doesn't have that in his locker.

Bizarre. Ings presses just as much as Watkins.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Up until his injury Ings' pressing stats were better than Watkins. 

Hopefully Watkins will get back to the level of pressing he did last season for us.

42 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Seems Buendia gets frustrated with Ollie, which is understandable because whilst there’s little doubt he works hard he’s become very selfish on the ball.

Yeah I saw that. It doesn't seem to take much to frustrate Buendia tbf but I can understand why with Ollie. Buendia loves the one touch link ups so when Ollie is getting it and just putting his head down (and often losing it), it's gonna drive him mad.

33 minutes ago, Spoony said:

What on earth is wrong with this guy. So greedy and so wasteful. Really not enjoying watching him at all this season. Reminds me of Milan Baros. 

Why, did Baros score against Norwich that season?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

Why, did Baros score against Norwich that season?

Scoring shouldn’t detract from the fact he was poor. He does need to improve. I obviously love the guy but he’s just not at the races. Hopefully the goal will help but even that didn’t seem to cheer him up. 

The goal he scored is what Ollie does best. Finishing off chances supplied by the more creative players on the pitch. 

Him having to do it himself is where he gets in trouble. That just isn't part of his game. We have looked poor in number of games in the 2nd.  Our energy levels drop and Ollie becomes our sole outlet. That just isn't what he is about. Definitely needs more technical players to play off of if we want to see him at his best. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Scoring shouldn’t detract from the fact he was poor. He does need to improve. I obviously love the guy but he’s just not at the races. Hopefully the goal will help but even that didn’t seem to cheer him up. 

Completely agree, we need the Ollie from last season back.  Glad he got his goal though.

Not the player he was last season, lost the reaction to a pass, used to be a right pest for defenders. Not sure what the problem is, looking like a player waiting for a move, although I know that's not true. Frustrating really, an don't look his happy self.

• Like 1

I thought he was ok tonight and I can’t personally see any evidence that he’s worse than last season- he actually looks more confident this season in some ways.

but his decision making is infuriating at times. He has this habit of being in a decent shooting position but not shooting at first, holding on to the ball for too long until another player is in a far better position, and then trying to shoot again even though he has no chance of scoring- the targett example in the first half was most glaring

also, his diving is getting annoying and the one tonight where he was already on the ground but tried to dive again was just pathetic 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â