Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wealth of owners doesn't mean that much.  But if it was relevant, our owners could buy Wembley with loose change they found down the back of the sofa, remove it piece by piece and rebuild it at the bottom of The Atlantic next to the Titanic to use as a viewing platform....... If they wanted. 

That’s brilliant for Villa can’t be interested in Watkins then suppose they are in Barcelona now finalising the Messi deal 😀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

That’s brilliant for Villa can’t be interested in Watkins then suppose they are in Barcelona now finalising the Messi deal 😀

Now that’s just being daft! 

There’s no way Messi gets in our team ahead of Grealish ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Wealth of owners doesn't mean that much.  But if it was relevant, our owners could buy Wembley with loose change they found down the back of the sofa, remove it piece by piece and rebuild it at the bottom of The Atlantic next to the Titanic to use as a viewing platform....... If they wanted. 

I hope you win the rollover on Friday!

Wembley may be out of your reach but you could have some fun with anything in small heath!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

**** that.  We ain't going over there.  Messi can come to us if he wants to negotiate.

• Haha 1

EFL Championship player of the year. 

But before you get excited...
2015 - Patrick Bamford (🤯)
2016 - Andrew Gray
2017 - Anthony Knockaert
2018 - Ryan Sessegon
2019 - Teemu Pukki

Others have won who've done well - Ings, Lambert, Jagielka.
But there's always the Taarabt, Matěj Vydra, and others who just aren't good enough for the PL.

Perhaps players in the Championship shouldn't be worth £20m? 

49 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

EFL Championship player of the year. 

But before you get excited...
2015 - Patrick Bamford (🤯)
2016 - Andrew Gray
2017 - Anthony Knockaert
2018 - Ryan Sessegon
2019 - Teemu Pukki

Others have won who've done well - Ings, Lambert, Jagielka.
But there's always the Taarabt, Matěj Vydra, and others who just aren't good enough for the PL.

Perhaps players in the Championship shouldn't be worth £20m? 

Players who've also done well in the Championship.
2019 - Konsa, Grealish, Mings, Phillips, McGinn, Aarons, Lewis...etc.

They're all worth comfortably over 20m I'd say.

I like the championship, I think there is a lot of talent there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Players who've also done well in the Championship.
2019 - Konsa, Grealish, Mings, Phillips, McGinn, Aarons, Lewis...etc.

They're all worth comfortably over 20m I'd say.

I like the championship, I think there is a lot of talent there. 

Sorry - probably should've said that they shouldn't be £20m as standard.
There is quality, but there is also a lot of mediocrity. One good season isn't £20m+ for me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Just to put things in perspective:

Ollie Watkins (age 24) scored 26 goals in 4,456 mins which equates to a goal every 171 mins.

Kelechi Iheanacho (age 23) scored 10 goals in 1,314 mins which equates to a goal every 131 mins.

Considering Iheanacho is a year younger, and plays in a better league, I think it shows that Watkins should not be our first choice and we should not be giving Brentford anywhere near the £25mill they want. One good goal scoring season doesn't warrant that kind of money and we shouldn't be taking that risk. Yes he's only played 1 year at ST (hence his break out season) but that should only be seen as a negative and makes this move a huge gamble.

And I'm not saying we should go and get Iheanacho, just that there's several better options we should be focusing on first.

To be fair, no one other than very loose tabloid shit rags have said that we would be paying £25m for him. 

If we are indeed in for him (with our transfer team nowadays i'd be suprised if we actually were) I would think it more for like £17-18m tops.

In my opinion the only player that we overpaid for last year was Targett. Getting players for sensible prices is possibly the reason things have been so quiet so far. 

Edited by Steero113

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

In my opinion the only player that we overpaid for last year was Targett. Getting players for sensible prices is possibly the reason things have been so quiet so far. 

I'm not someone who thinks he's a complete write-off and has no chance of making it here, but surely you agree we overpaid for Wesley?

9 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Ollie Watkins (age 24) scored 26 goals in 4,456 mins which equates to a goal every 171 mins.

Kelechi Iheanacho (age 23) scored 10 goals in 1,314 mins which equates to a goal every 131 mins.

Considering Iheanacho is a year younger, and plays in a better league, I think it shows that Watkins should not be our first choice and we should not be giving Brentford anywhere near the £25mill they want. One good goal scoring season doesn't warrant that kind of money and we shouldn't be taking that risk. Yes he's only played 1 year at ST (hence his break out season) but that should only be seen as a negative and makes this move a huge gamble.

And I'm not saying we should go and get Iheanacho, just that there's several better options we should be focusing on first.

It's not all about goals though!

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm not someone who thinks he's a complete write-off and has no chance of making it here, but surely you agree we overpaid for Wesley?

I'd argue Trezeguet, Nakamba and Engels too. Although oddly enough, Trezeguet's goals kept us up. 

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I rate Wesley and saw enough from him to suggest that he should be given a chance once fit to go at it again this season.

We could play the game where I say that look at Haller and Joelinton at £40m etc etc... In which case, for a striker who contributed a net effective 7 points for us last season and with strikers being the most expensive position, £22m was actually OK.

At the time Lazio and a few other top clubs actually rated him super highly. 

11 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

I totally agree with this and it shows why he isn’t worth 25 million, there’s a small chance he could be but it’s very likely that is massively overpaying. 

On the plus side that’s 26 goals more than Davis scored and about 24 more than Samatta so there’s no doubt he would improve the team.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd argue Trezeguet, Nakamba and Engels too. Although oddly enough, Trezeguet's goals kept us up. 

If you look at the stats for DCM's under 25, Nakamba is in the top 15 players in Europe at that age believe it or not. He has potential to be very good and 11m will look like good value. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I rate Wesley and saw enough from him to suggest that he should be given a chance once fit to go at it again this season.

We could play the game where I say that look at Haller and Joelinton at £40m etc etc... In which case, for a striker who contributed a net effective 7 points for us last season and with strikers being the most expensive position, £22m was actually OK.

At the time Lazio and a few other top clubs actually rated him super highly. 

I don't disagree with the first 2 points, but that's all hindsight stuff.

I still think we overpaid for his record and no way would Lazio have paid as much. Wasn't it rumoured at the time we purposefully paid more than would have been accepted to ensure he got a work permit?

Â