Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You don’t think there will competition from other clubs for him omariqy?

Think he has his heart set on coming here. Only clubs who would be interested would be someone like Leeds. 

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Give them a week. Then move on.

The market hasn't really got going yet.  

Watkins - like Rashica - is probably the best player at his club and as such those deals will never be straightforward. 

We can't wait indefinitely,  but the spin from the papers early on was he was keen to come. Players involved in the Championship Play offs/ latter stages of European competition might still be on extended breaks (genuinely not sure if that applies to Watkins. He might be back already). 

To my mind we need three quality editions who can come straight into the first team. I'll be happy if we have at least one of them by the start of the season and the other two are in by the end of the window. 

39 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

The market hasn't really got going yet.  

Watkins - like Rashica - is probably the best player at his club and as such those deals will never be straightforward. 

We can't wait indefinitely,  but the spin from the papers early on was he was keen to come. Players involved in the Championship Play offs/ latter stages of European competition might still be on extended breaks (genuinely not sure if that applies to Watkins. He might be back already). 

To my mind we need three quality editions who can come straight into the first team. I'll be happy if we have at least one of them by the start of the season and the other two are in by the end of the window. 

I think the spin is down to assumptions:

1) He played under Dean Smith - which means the press will assume he will want to do that again
2) He wants Premier League Football
3) Brentford need to sell
4) Dean knows him so wants him

We don't know his relationship with Dean or that we want him or are prepared to pay Brentford's asking price.

Hopefully the assumptions are correct, but just like Rashica I reckon the press no sod all.

5 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think the spin is down to assumptions:

1) He played under Dean Smith - which means the press will assume he will want to do that again
2) He wants Premier League Football
3) Brentford need to sell
4) Dean knows him so wants him

We don't know his relationship with Dean or that we want him or are prepared to pay Brentford's asking price.

Hopefully the assumptions are correct, but just like Rashica I reckon the press no sod all.

1, 2 & 4 assumptions are about right,  3. Brentford do not need to sell him, but they will do, he made no bones about wanting Premier League football, preferably with us, but results worked out it wasn't to be, so he will be moving on, good luck to him he deserves it after the hard work he has put in with us over the last 3 years, DS had a good relationship with all players and was well liked, as for the asking price and where he will be going, that will be down to Watkins, and that's another matter entirely. 

Edited by jonjon
  • Like 4

On 21/08/2020 at 12:16, villan-scott said:

Looks like Brentford are working hard on replacements before rubber stamping any sales. 

I hope brentford are going to include this 25% covid reduction to our basket on checkout!

Edited by Nigel

Sure it's been suggested before, but why don't we just pump fake Brentford for the players they have in all positions.

Wait to see who they look to as replacements then sign all of them instead? lol

See.... it's easy.

Pierre-Yves Hamel in for 9 mill.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wes said:

Not exactly competition if we want him.

Guess it might move this deal forward if we are actually interested.  If Fulham get him it means we weren’t interested.

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well, IF true and he does go there, you can understand his desire not to move geographically, but after all the noise suggesting he was as good as ours, losing out to Fulham would not be a good look! 

Just means we weren’t interested.  

• Like 1

Â