Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

14 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I don't think he's going anywhere until they have signed his replacement, we have just 12 days left before our season starts on 6th Sept (live on Sky), so not long to wait.

What happens if you sign a replacement in 10 days for example and the teams that were interested have moved on to other targets and there is no other interest?  Not being funny, just a genuine question.  I assume you don’t have financial worries but can you afford to spend 10m if you can’t recoup money for sales?

Edited by nick76
P.s. I have no knowledge of your finances so genuine question

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I really think Origvi is more realistic

Really hope we don't go for Origi, I think he is pretty average and Liverpool fans don't seem to rate him, I think his value and reputation has gone up because of a couple of important goals as a sub. He has hardly ever impressed when he has got the chance from the start. Not that young now either, and would cost much both in fee and wages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

What happens if you sign a replacement in 10 days for example and the teams that were interested have moved on to other targets and there is no other interest?  Not being funny, just a genuine question.  I assume you don’t have financial worries but can you afford to spend 10m if you can’t recoup money for sales?

It won't come to that situation, we have never failed to sell players in the window, even a few years ago on the last day we sold 3 players to Birmingham, Jota was one of them, and after  September 6th there will still be a month left before it closes, plenty of time for business to be done by all clubs,  I hardly think there will be no interest in him, and he will be sold by the end of the window, I have have no doubt about that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’d rather sign Watkins than Origi. 

I wouldn't mind either if it was limited to them two. Origi and Ihenacho both have good records when adjusted for a complete season of games. 

Watkins should be able to get a decent amount too. 

Abraham, Origi and Ihenacho when adjusted for complete seasons and cup games end up on around 21-24 goals for the season.

For Villa this would equate to around 14/15 goals in all comps allowing for the lower possession and chances created.

Of course this isn't scientific research but a rough guesstimate to what Ollie Watkins and the three similarly talented strikers we've been loosely linked with can do.

If the rumours about Fulham giving Antonee Robinson 50k a week are true, Lord only knows what they’d give someone like Watkins. 80, 100k a week?

I’d really like Watkins, think he’s a good all round player, but it would be difficult (and extremely stupid) to compete with Fulham if they’re throwing around money like that. 

Could all be b****** of course.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If the rumours about Fulham giving Antonee Robinson 50k a week are true, Lord only knows what they’d give someone like Watkins. 80, 100k a week?

I’d really like Watkins, think he’s a good all round player, but it would be difficult (and extremely stupid) to compete with Fulham if they’re throwing around money like that. 

Of course it is, inaccurate and lazy journalism as usual, like 99% of "A source says"  

Not overly fussed either way on Watkins. I thought we were after Proven Premier League quality this window and he clearly doesn't fit that criteria. He'd be an interesting purchase who may do well but i'd prefer Tammy if it were doable. Both would be good mind.

5 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Not overly fussed either way on Watkins. I thought we were after Proven Premier League quality this window and he clearly doesn't fit that criteria. He'd be an interesting purchase who may do well but i'd prefer Tammy if it were doable. Both would be good mind.

That's fine, so is everyone else, but will cost an awful amount of money, (£40-60 Million) will Villa be prepared to pay that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

That's fine, so is everyone else, but will cost an awful amount of money, (£40-60 Million) will Villa be prepared to pay that?

We have the money, part of the problem is selling the vision of Aston Villa.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Who’s PL quality and available? Ings won’t come. Tammy won’t be easy.

You’d up with Rodriguez, Deeney, Wilson, Pukki, Gayle, Carroll...etc

I’m not sure I’d prefer any of these to Watkins. Rodrigues would’ve been fine last season but not now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I’m not sure I’d prefer any of these to Watkins. Rodrigues would’ve been fine last season but not now.

This 'Proven Premier League Quality' line is probably the most tiresome thing going around at the moment.
Like, what does it even mean? So we need to sign players from other PL clubs? Which PL club in their right mind is going to sell one of their better players to us? Then we're left with the players you mention above, all of whom probably aren't good enough or better than what we have. 
Does it mean we have to sign players aged over 30+ on big wages because they've 'been there and done it'? Can one of the people peddaling this fantasy please tell us which players with PL experience will fill our voids on the wing, up top and in central midfield? Then tell me how much they'd cost.

I've said it before, but just because we signed a load of shit players from Belgium in the last window, it doesn't mean that isn't the way forward. There is plenty of quality out there in Spain, Germany, France etc. we just need to find the right players this time. We are going for quality over quantity this time, so the success rate should be better. 

Luiz and Konsa didn't have PL experience when they came here and were arguably two of our better perfomers last season. 

We absolutely do not need players with PL experience to get better and improve on last season. In fact, I'd actively avoid it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

50892240.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

I "think" our owners would indeed be prepared to pay that yes Jon jon, i may be wrong of course, but it is what they need to do in my view for other players who may be potential targets to start to take us a bit more seriously... also for players like Grealish to see a road forward here too.  I think we absolutely need to go heavy with our first couple of signings for Sawiris & Edens to show that they mean business and are serious about "getting us competing with the best in the World on a consistent basis"...Their words not mine.

For me we should go and break down the doors of Chelsea for Tammy. Make them an offer they can't refuse. He has played here before, is friends with Grealish & looks ready to be a top striker in this division now. He's also down the pecking order down there which he surely can't be 100% happy with. Then of course we have the perfect contact in JT to make things happen.

I'd love Watkins here but he's obviously unproven hence a bit more of a risk for next season as he gets used to the difference in pace & the quicker thinking of the players at this level. This is what i believe makes it so tough for some really good Championship players at this level... the quicker thinking. Some rise to it others cannot. That i believe is the big "?" when a player makes the step up. Watkins appears to have that ability but of course nobody knows for sure until he plays in the Prem. It often takes players a season or two to adapt to it.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

For me the owners have got to grab this by the short & curlies & "make" it happen. Go & grab Romelu Lukaku back from Inter or something, Chris Woods from Burnley or Ings from Southampton or whoever. I know not easy but they need to find a way to put us back on the map.

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

For me the owners have got to grab this by the short & curlies & "make" it happen. Go & grab Romelu Lukaku back from Inter or something, Chris Woods from Burnley or Ings from Southampton or whoever. I know not easy but they need to find a way to put us back on the map.

ray liotta laughing GIF

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

ray liotta laughing GIF

Exactly, pretty much the reaction we're getting from top players at the moment. Obviously Ings & co would not come and would react like this. That is the problem. 

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Blimey, it'll start to look a bit shaky if Watkins goes elsewhere.

It doesn't matter where we buy from. Quality is everywhere, affordability maybe isn't. It's really easy to not buy bad ones.

Lukaku from Inter?! Goodness me.

Â