villaglint

16 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Add that to his flop at Burnley

Didn't flop at Burnley. And wasn't sacked either, he left because he wanted to return to Bournemouth. He arguably laid the foundations for Dyche to go on and succed and get promoted. Howe signed Mee, Trippier, Ings ,Austin and Vokes at Burnley. All played a big part for Dyche when he came in. His signings when he was coming up the league with Bournemouth were excellent. Ritchie, Pugh, Wilson. Gosling and Surman. He's got some horribly wrong in the PL but he's a good manager. He'll sit it out until Christmas i think. He won't be out of work too long.

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Didn't flop at Burnley. And wasn't sacked either, he left because he wanted to return to Bournemouth. He arguably laid the foundations for Dyche to go on and succed and get promoted. Howe signed Mee, Trippier, Ings ,Austin and Vokes at Burnley. All played a big part for Dyche when he came in. His signings when he was coming up the league with Bournemouth were excellent. Ritchie, Pugh, Wilson. Gosling and Surman. He's got some horribly wrong in the PL but he's a good manager. He'll sit it out until Christmas i think. He won't be out of work too long.

I don't necessarily think he is a bad coach (he appears a great human being), I'm just not convinced. It will be interesting what he does next, as his stock is high, and there are plenty of challenges out there for young football coach. He's been seriously backed at Bournemouth. He teams are very open (I'm not convinced he can set up a defensive shape,  maybe its just his style) and fact remains he's yet to prove anything outside of the confines of Bournemouth. He was thoroughly unremarkable at Burnley finishing 8th then 13th (hence flopped). The following season with Dyche, they proceeded to reduce the goals conceded column and achieve automatic promotion *after losing Austin and signing mostly FTs. As I said, I don't think he's a bad coach, he has a style and philosophy, to which he imposed on his Bournemouth sides. I want to see if he can replicate that away from Bournemouth. I'm just having a healthy dose of scepticism and playing Devil's advocate as the fawning begins, maybe my comment was a bit flippant.

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

but I do wonder where he will go next. Maybe Palace when they pension off Uncle Woy

Palace are set up as the antithesis of Bournemouth at the moment. Would suggest that the club aren't sticking with a system - would be interesting to see how that'd work out though. My guess would be badly.

6 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Palace are set up as the antithesis of Bournemouth at the moment. Would suggest that the club aren't sticking with a system - would be interesting to see how that'd work out though. My guess would be badly.

Palace love giving Liverpool loads of cash for rubbish...them and Howe are a match made in heaven

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

By breaking the financial rules in the EFL

He actually took over when they'd started the league 2 season on -17 points as they went into administration. Came in mid season aswell (January 2009). Six years later promoted to premeir league.

I get it went wrong in last 18 months but seems bizarre to dismiss his record previously.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

No sympathy for a manager who wasted that amount of money on Ibe and Solanke but did nothing to address their horrendous defence. 

He did sign Rico, Chris Mepham, Ake and Lloyld kelly as defensive options over last two years. And Lerma and Billing as defensive midfielders.

As a neutral I'd prefer to watch Bournemouth in the big games as they'd have a go and were never boring but of course would get smashed on occasions. But that's no different to us losing 6-1 to Man. City and barely crossing the halfway line.

Not being able to organise a defence never did Roberto Martinez any harm, now in charge of one of the best international sides around.

Edited by VillaChris

Average netspend over the last 5 years was £26.7 million, considerably less than us. i think he did an amazing job at a tiny little club who were playing us in the old third division back in the 70s. They will go back to where they belong without him. 

I don't think you can understate the spirit and strength of the dressing room he had coming up through the league's and into the PL. Francis, Cook, Daniels and Gosling ( Tommy in fairness was a big player for him also ) Had a very strong dressing room. They represented the team ethos and fight on their backs mentality all the way up the league's and into the PL. I think as the step up in quality of the opposition has increased year on year, he's traded in some of the core values that got him up the league's and early in the PL years for " talent " who had no fight in them. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't think you can understate the spirit and strength of the dressing room he had coming up through the league's and into the PL. Francis, Cook, Daniels and Gosling ( Tommy in fairness was a big player for him also ) Had a very strong dressing room. They represented the team ethos and fight on their backs mentality all the way up the league's and into the PL. I think as the step up in quality of the opposition has increased year on year, he's traded in some of the core values that got him up the league's and early in the PL years for " talent " who had no fight in them. 

He's still kept most around though. Even in last few games Cook has been starting regularly again. Think Francis and Daniels had long term injuries.

Problem is going to be that core is much older now and simply not as good as they were 4-5 years ago so really can't see them inspiring Bournemouth to promotion. They're going to have to sign very well just to have a chance of the play offs.

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He actually took over when they'd started the league 2 season on -17 points as they went into administration. Came in mid season aswell (January 2009). Six years later promoted to premeir league.

I get it went wrong in last 18 months but seems bizarre to dismiss his record previously.

But they broke the rules after that to get promoted through the leagues. Bournemouth was not some fairytale and the EFL have an outstanding bill for them

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's still kept most around though. Even in last few games Cook has been starting regularly again. Think Francis and Daniels had long term injuries.

Problem is going to be that core is much older now and simply not as good as they were 4-5 years ago so really can't see them inspiring Bournemouth to promotion. They're going to have to sign very well just to have a chance of the play offs.

Would you take Lewis Cook ? Remember watching him coming through at Leeds and thought " he's a player " Because of his injury, inconsistent playing time and their relegation though, i wouldn't pay more than what Bournemouth paid for him. His market value hasn't really increased. He has to have suitors. Surely. People raving about Billing. Looks woeful. Slow, awkward and can't pass it 5 yards.

The only player of theirs i'd love to have at villa is brooks. looks like a real player to me. was injured most of this season and they'd probably have stayed up if he wasn't.

• Like 2

Bournemouth made a £38.3m loss in their Championship winning season in 2014-15 (up £10.3m the previous season). The biggest expenditure was wages, which rose to £30.4m, more than double the club's turnover of £12.9m. It will happen again.

10 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Bournemouth made a £38.3m loss in their Championship winning season in 2014-15 (up £10.3m the previous season). The biggest expenditure was wages, which rose to £30.4m, more than double the club's turnover of £12.9m. It will happen again.

thing is back then you just got a slap on the wrist by way of a fine, as did wolves. now they are actually hitting teams with points deductions.

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Average netspend over the last 5 years was £26.7 million, considerably less than us. i think he did an amazing job at a tiny little club who were playing us in the old third division back in the 70s. They will go back to where they belong without him. 

Surprising fact. Bournemouth’s population, 187000, is bigger than both Norwich and Watford. Not quite as small as some people think.

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

Surprising fact. Bournemouth’s population, 187000, is bigger than both Norwich and Watford. Not quite as small as some people think.

Well it’s a great area to live but they have a tiny ground and never had the a big following. Imagine a lot of people living In Bournemouth either have no interest in football or support other clubs. 

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Well it’s a great area to live but they have a tiny ground and never had the a big following. Imagine a lot of people living In Bournemouth either have no interest in football or support other clubs. 

As someone who does live in the area the level of support has unsurprisingly grown hugely in the Eddie Howe era. Few years back you’d never see a Bournemouth shirt outside the ground but now they are everywhere. Club nearly went bankrupt a few years back and nobody cares now everyone you meet is a life long Bournemouth fan. 

Be interesting to see how the support holds up if they start to struggle for a few years.  

Edited by villaglint

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

Does that include Boscombe as well? Yes sure its a big town but it is not a football town, more of a leisure destination. Gloucester nearly 150,000 but its all rugby.  Places like Burnley and Blackburn are tiny but its all about the football. Tbh there is not much  to do up there.

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Imagine a lot of people living In Bournemouth either have no interest in football or support other clubs. 

Like Florida, people go there to retire!

Â